Register now to get rid of these ads!

ROCKETEERS-cam specs for my rocket re-build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Aug 8, 2005.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Can someone suggest good cam specs for my 56 324 rocket re-build?

I picked up a NOS cam with .462 lift and 264 duration . . . but when I compare those numbers with the numbers mentioned here and there in the Olds tech-o-matic thread they seem really really mild.

Performance wise I basically want a RV/towing type cam . . . good low end and a tough idle but not too far from stock.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

3. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

4. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I have a cam. . I just don't know enough about what the numbers really mean. . . .I was hoping someone who knows more than me could tell me what kind of performance to expect from this cam in the 324- stock, mild street, drag race only, what?

Yorgatron. . . .?

Blownolds. . . .?

. . . .help

5. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

".462 lift and 264 duration" is that ACTUAL lift and duration,or set at .050 ?
    hydraulic lifters?
    rocker ratio 1.8 ?

6. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

"462 lift and 264 duration" is that ACTUAL lift and duration,or set at .050 ?. . . not sure, again i am no cam guru, i just have the card that was attached to the cam

hydraulic lifters? . . . .yes
    rocker ratio 1.8 ?. . . . yes it's a '56 motor so I think that makes it 1.8

7. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i went out and measured a stock 394 cam that i have,it came up .462 lift after factoring in the rocker ratio.

your cam might just be a stocker,which ain't neccessarily a bad thing.
    the '56 had the most H.P. and torque of the 324 engines.
    what car (how heavy) are you putting this in?
    what transmission are you gonna use?
    if the cam is reground you lose a lot of base circle,and you end up needing some expensive parts,like adjustable pushrods or rocker arms.
    you might wanna think about milling the heads or decking the block to raise the compression ratio instead.
    porting the heads and a good 3-angle valve job would help out too.

8. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

thanks for your help. . . sorry for calling you out by name but i wasn't getting much help-

I looked for stock cam specs online and came up with nothing. . .so I can't compare my 264 duration to anything.

I can live with stock but was hoping for a minor upgrade. . all of the cams discussed in tech-o-mAtic seem pretty radical for a custom. All in all, I'd rather have a smooth stocker than a rumpity radical cam so I'm trying to restrain my urge for "more is better" for once. This car should not shake at stop lights.

I was told the cam is not re-ground.

it's going in the '35 olds coupe - see avatar

i really want to figure out a manual trans for it, my options seem to be
    -an adaptor for a toploader
    or
    - a 1950 cad or olds box

whatever appears first i will go with i guess. I have a lot to learn about manual trannies in the next few months. . . .