Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rocket Sled II Model A Roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, May 26, 2014.

1. 1401090436220.jpg 1401090586196.jpg 1401090628922.jpg 1401090654283.jpg As most of you know I've been trying to decide on purchasing back one of my old Hotrods or to build another Roadster.

All of my previous builds were significantly altered, changed or priced beyond my point of no return!

So I made the decision to build another Roadster but I Couldn't decide on the drivetrain.

But Over the past couple of years the parts parade guided my decision to build another big block Olds!

First I ended up with my old grill shell, found my old Walker radiator, next my old custom headers found their way back to me from BCRs shop which prompted my decision to build another BBO!

Next I located an inexpensive Offy dual quad w/ new 500 cfm Weber Carbs for a BBO along with a set of Cal Custom Scoops!

Then I scored a magnesium center Benson Quickchange 2 sets of coil overs, front P&J chrome front shocks and F-1 shock mounts.

I bought a complete 1940 front end plus I found a heavy duty set hairpins.

Next I was able to locate and purchase a complete set of American magnesium 5 spokes and a complete set of JFZ 3/8" rotors and calipers!

Last week I bought an original" Gennie Shifter as well as misc lights and mirrors.

All I need now is a body, engine, tranny and some wiring and it'll be done!

I'm stoked!

Here's what I've gotten home so far...

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    swade41, mgtstumpy, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Any pics of the car that inspired this build?

3. brady1929

brady1929

Good luck, should be cool.

4. 1401109071376.jpg
    Whoops. ... hope this works!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

5. Excellent Mark! :cool: Very inspiring!! Hopefully I can get my stuff all in one place and get some similar pics soon. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    wingnutz likes this.
  6. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Outta sight man!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

wingnutz likes this.
  7. Hey Jim and Mike... expect a couple of pm's for some parts in the next couple of weeks!

8. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I like the exoskeleton

Posted from Austinrod

wingnutz likes this.
  9. :cool:

wingnutz likes this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool, Mark --- Looking forward to watching your new roadster come together!

Malcolm

wingnutz likes this.
  11. I liked your roadster build. .. you did good and you nailed the proportions perfectly!

12. looks like you got some work to do Mark......

wingnutz likes this.
  13. Hey Jeff... If they weren't a lot of work... everybody would have one!

I located and purchased the Body... won't be for a couple of weeks until I can get it home since the seller and I can't coordinate our schedules!

I'm pumped... Cadilackid is blasting my front end and I'm looking at a perimeter frame as well as another BBO and Tranny!

Once I get all the parts together it shouldn't take long to get it on the road!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Oh... I bought a Mallory dual point flat cap dizzy and 12 Gallon Stainless fuel tank this weekend.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  15. Rock on brother!

16. I ended up buying 3 1940 Dash's off da=bay just to piece together one that I'll use.

Right now the other 2 are wall hangers! Can't get enough 40 dash's and 32 Grills hanging on the walls!

17. Here's what I got...
    Ahhhh... I've got nuthin yet.... still trying to figure out technology!

Max Gearhead likes this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mark...Glad to hear you have a front axle being blasted. (I could NEVER start a roadster project without a front axle!)
    My '27 Hiboy was 455 Olds powered, '37 LaSalle box, '41 Ford banjo...but I couldn't locate a low rise 2-four bbl intake for 'reasonable $$'.
    My Olds is .040" over, Howard M-8 (old!) flat tappet, new flywheel, B-O-P bell housing. (with flat plate adaptor to LaSalle) Mallory dual point with flat crab cap! (great minds think alike)

wingnutz likes this.
  19. Ok... let's see if this works...

aaa 000 111 a 40 dashes.jpg

I know it's a mess but I'm keeping the Grey primer one and the others are going to Jefferson tomorrow!

20. Well I'm closer to HAMB friendly...

How about a mid sixties 425 BBO forged crank, with everything from the water pump to the Turbo 400 tailshaft!

Just need to find a HAMB relay from Ohio to Wisconsin!

Anyone need a few extra bucks and going my way?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    slammed and Max Gearhead like this.
  21. Here's a photo of "Thumper"... I'm going to put a fresh set of heads on it with my dual quads, Mallory dual points, a little cam and drive it!

And when I'm done... It would be nice to run 12's with it!!!!!!

425 olds.jpg 425 olds 1 .jpg

22. I'm stoked but broke as a joke so that means I've got to be "creative".

I want to put this together on the cheap (like that is unusual! ) but I have accumulated some pretty rare stuff...

I need to make things fit I must decide either I stick a boat load of cash in the Quickchange or destroy the value of my magnesium American 5 spokes!

So here's my train of thought... drill another bolt pattern on the mags to accept the 5X5 QC hub or enlarge the 4.75 GM pattern to 5X5 .

I despise making the wheels a unilug but what would you do?

23. Do not redrill the wheels...drop them off here while wearing a Santa suit, yell hhohoho and I know of a perfect car to put them on

kiwijeff, wingnutz and Max Gearhead like this.
  24. Please don't slot the rims, a bit more work but drill the q/c.
    Was inpired by your last project enough to buy a 455 and 28 roadster body, looking forward to seeing your new roadster build, will be a fun car

Tuck and wingnutz like this.
  25. Hey Jeffie... I was going to do just that! But then I realized that the wheels have a 5"negative offset and that would look goofy on your coupe!

However I could put on the suit and drink all your beer!

I've seen a bunch of dual bolt pattern wheels and honestly that would be period hotrod solution.

Hey maxgearhead... doesn't that Franklin I turned you on to have a Chevy bolt pattern?

We could Trade or something...

26. You might have some issues with the banjo! I'll give it a couple of launches with that badassed olds motor and it might scatter the rear!

Think a low rise dual quad is pricey? Try finding the elusive tri- carb set up?

A couple fellows on this board will build cars around that setup!