Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rocket Rockers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NOAH324, Feb 22, 2007.

1. NOAH324

NOAH324

Cleaning up my '55 Olds 324 before converting to 4 dueces and ordered some new rocker arms from a company called MadDog Racing on Ebay.
    When they came I was surprised to see OIL PASSAGES!
    This got me thinking - how exactly was the original valvetrain supposed to be oiled? Just from the oil splashing around in there? No wonder my old arms were so worn!?
    Has anybody else seen/used these rockers?
    Just thought I'd share...

Attached Files:

2. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

There is an oil passage that comes up from the cam bearing area in each cylinder bank, travels a couple of inches sideways at the head gasket, then goes up through the cylinder head through one rocker stand and then through the hollow rocker arm shaft which is drilled at each rocker location. High mileage, high sludged engines lubed very poorly resulting in the rocker arm/ shaft wear. The was at one time a kit that basically bypassed this route and went stright to the rocker shaft.

3. NOAH324

NOAH324

Thanks for the explanation - sounds like the oil makes quite a journey - and still doesn't make it to the valve-side of the rocker arm. Here's another pic showing the new passage...of course this won't help if the main passage is blocked...

Attached Files:

4. NOAH324

NOAH324

Here they are installed....

Attached Files:

5. bones35

bones35

noah how much were the shafts

6. Ole don

Ole don

Years ago, I had a nice J2 in a T bucket. When the heads were off, that passage across the head surface looked small, so I made it deeper with a dremmel. End of oil problems to the rockers.

7. NOAH324

NOAH324

I didn't replace the shafts - just the arms - and they were $138 (ebay item 4569386314).
    Terrill Machine sells em out of Hemmings for $160 but don't know if they have the extra oil holes.
    Next time I take off the heads I'll definitely bust out the Dremel!
    Noah

8. bones35

bones35

now in my rocket i have small block chevy lifters, and i replaced the solid push rods with some with oil passages. i actualy restricted the oil feed hole by putting some metal rod in them. so it oils just like a small block now.

9. NOAH324

NOAH324

Hey - do you have part#s? (What length push-rods?)
    I've heard you can do that - sounds like a good idea.

10. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I've got the sbc lifters too, but am using Caddy solid pushrods. The hollow rods sound like a good idea. What length are they?

11. 55olds88

55olds88

interesting, I have noticed their stuff, price seems o.k. too, I know at least one of my engines had hollow pushrods (and one lost an end about 3 hours from home....) that top end ioling is a problem, might have to look at the passage myself on the next one.