Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rocker molding

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PeggySue, Jan 16, 2018.

1. PeggySue

PeggySue

Looking at installing stainless rocker molding on 50 chevy styleline. I know the front clips bolt through front bottom fender, which I can see filled holes from behind, but the rest of the clips under door and back( can't see from back side boxed in rocker panel) originally fit in square hole. Has anyone else installed another way? Thinking about mounting rest of clips with screws??

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3M double sided tape. It holds, it prevents water and debris from getting behind the trim, pretty easy to install.

3. PeggySue

PeggySue

So 3M tape for the entire piece of trim or use the 2 front bolt clips and tape the rest?

4. Pop a string line along the rocker. Put a screw in the other clips. The repop clips used with tri5's are/have been junk in the past.

5. Exactly; did the moldings on friends '54; mounted the clips with screws next to the original holes. Bad enough getting the trim to clip on, let alone getting the clips to fit the stock holes.

6. PeggySue

PeggySue

If I follow you, string along rocker for straight edge? The front 2 clips have studs that go through fender . The clips from the front 2 back would be screwed on? So forget about 3M tape???

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 396 emblems on my 69 Camaro have been on the car for 10 years held with 3M tape because the painter filled the damn holes. I cant show you that one without someone pooping their rivets lose.
    But I can show you this one;
    My Nova has 400 side trim but I didn't have the mounting hardware handy and I didn't want to remove the interior panels. 3M tape, slightly wider that the trim, dragged a very sharp blade down both sides at an angle to cut the tape out of view, peel and stick.
    upload_2018-1-16_15-23-34.png
    No car manufacturer drills fenders for trim, heck they even tape the spoiler on the deck lid on my 75K caddy.

8. PeggySue

PeggySue

I would for sure rather use tape that start drilling holes. Will do some research on how much flat surface edges there is on the back side rockers to anchor for 50 chevy. thanks to all

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Just take a look at the back edge, that tape comes in a bunch of widths, use only 3M (don't get cheap on me now) and if you don't like the molding it comes off with dental floss and some goo gone.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^Oh, most important step, wipe the rocker down with a good solvent or grease remover or even rubbing alcohol first for best adhesion. Use a micro fiber towel in your hand to apply firm pressure to the molding for 30 seconds or so, 60 degree garage works best.

11. PeggySue

PeggySue

OK thanks, have the heated garage, know about the alcohol, looking at this tape. 3M double face auto trim tape.

Attached Files:

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that's the stuff right there.

13. PeggySue

PeggySue

Rockers ordered will be here tomorrow, then will size things up Thanks.

Bandit Billy likes this.