Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rocker arm hardware ID Help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RT468, Feb 11, 2021.

1. RT468

RT468

Figuring this is probably a simple ID but I haven't been able to find pics of these parts to determine their application. Searches come back with generic pics of regular hardware or a Summit/Jegs link. Assuming they are rocker arm pivot balls and castle nuts. Tried looking up the # listed on the box to no avail. Odd number of each in the box,20 pivot balls,18 or 20 5/8 nuts and maybe 20 of the taller 11/16 nuts. Box was not sealed and has hole in the lid so some may have been used or lost I guess. Leftovers from one of several garage cleanouts that had odd n ends from GM,Ford ,Mopar cars and trucks,boats,industrial and everything in between so I can't even venture a guess as to OEM manufacturer. Slowly going through stuff and curious to see what these parts are for. Any thoughts or input,as always,appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Many balls look...like the ones that you have. Probably only one or two manufacturers making them for everyone.
    What-EVER you do...make SURE that the ball radius is compatible with the ball socket radius in the rocker arm.

Use some "Prussian Blue" paste to verify this. A little (fully coat, but a very thin layer) on the ball.
    Carefully set the ball into the rocker with as LITTLE motion as possible.
    With as LITTLE motion as possible, remove the ball.
    The rocker socket should be completely coated in blue.

I bought a set of roller rocker arms from an old time company for a Studebaker engine. I was "assured.." that they were a drop in. On a Stude website, I had read that this brand was good at burning up pushrods..! Hmm ?!
    So I asked again before I passed on my money. Again, I was assured.

I get the rockers in my hands. It was PAINFULLY obvious that the adjuster cup diameter was different than the stock/OEM pushrods, just by looking. F-ing great.
    How did no one else spot this, instead of using them and hurting parts ?
    I took some Prussian Blue paste and verified the difference. Just a very small/thin ring of contact between the rocker adjuster cup and the pushrod ball. I checked several rockers and several pushrods. ALL the same outcome.
    I had to search the internet to find the correct adjusters, as the rocker company did not...make the CORRECT adjuster for the Stude pushrods.

All in all, the adjusters cost almost as much as the rocker arms..!
    The reason that I didn't return them...they are the only (currently) roller rocker arms available for the Stude engine.

The nut(s)...whatever nut you use, it NEEDS to be a "locking" nut so that it does not vibrate loose when the engine is running.

What's that old saying "Caveat Emptor".

Mike

Budget36 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

the nuts don't look like rocker arm nuts, they may be for something besides rocker arms?

4. RT468

RT468

Suppose it's possible this hardware is for something else but nothing else I can think of. My only basis of comparison is mid 60s Chevy or more modern aftermarket parts for the same. Could even be boat related I guess. By design it just appeared earlier than 60s and maybe not even GM.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I think GM was the only one using ball pivot rockers before the 60s? Pontiac and Chevy started in 55 models. Chevys were on 3/8" studs, I'm not sure what size Pontiacs were, but I think the balls were hollow, not solid sintered metal like that one appears to be. Does the ball have a 7/16" hole?

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Boat, car, aircraft, no matter..!
    As long as the parts match, they are usable.

Except that ALL engines NEED locking nuts. The nuts that you show, should not be used on a car, boat aircraft, industrial, or any other engine to hold the rocker arms in place.

Mike

7. Fordors

Fordors

9D1FAAD1-F849-4A77-A1BB-9734CA4BFD44.jpeg B84B5391-F669-4501-81B1-0BB56F1E74B6.jpeg 58550C3D-8693-41AE-A3D0-1A0F2B92E3D4.jpeg

The rocker balls look like early Pontiac to me, those had that groove on top because Pontiac used drilled studs to oil the rockers and balls. I’m not sure the grooves served any useful purpose.
    Early Pontiacs had non adjustable rockers, the studs had a step that the rocker ball rested on and the nuts were torqued to 20 ft. lbs. I don’t know if the nuts are OEM type for the early heads but they are Marsden locking nuts. In the last photo you can see a relief on the bottom of the nut, that combined with the slots allows the threads to deform and lock the nut when torqued.
    I have no idea what the tall nut shown is for.

loudbang and squirrel like this.