Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: New Year's Eve With Wolfman Jack !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 30, 2010.

1. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Thanks for bringing this back up. It bring back alot of great memories as we would listen to the Wolfman while crusing up here in Anchorage, Alaska all thru the 70's & into the 80's. Wish I could go back there again! Bill

2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hi Rusty,

Sorry you had a problem. The program I use for my sites uses the Adobe Flash App to activate the sound...and Apple devices have a problem with that. I can see it on my iPod, but I can't hear it either due to that situation.

BUT, on my Reg. PC Format Desktop & Laptop with Adobe Flash installed it is perfect. Just clicked-on the Link...I'm on that Page right now and it sound fine.

Again, Rusty, so sorry about the problem, but if you can get to a Reg. non-Apple PC that has Adobe Flash you should be able to enjoy it.

Thanks so much for letting me know so that I could steer you in the right direction !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Was Wolfman Jack in the movie Hot Rod with the primer grey willys coupe racing against the Oldsmobile sponsered by Mun's Rootbeer? If not the character was patterened after him.

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

elgringo71...

No, Jack wasn't in that film, but he did a bit part in "Motel Hell". He was creative in all respects, but radio, music, and, voice over's were his strong talents and made the best impact. He was also, one helluva good friend...that's what made his surprise call on NYE so special to me: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

Many thanks for all who've taken the time to check-it out the call & Tribute I've posted on the above Link...the Wolfman would be truly honored & amazed at the impact he's had on each & everyone of you who've taken the time to listen, AND, to add your memories to this page.

Thanks again...

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

6. That was Great Thank you for posting and saving that piece of history Have a Happy New Year!! Jim

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jim...

Thanks ! Glad you enjoyed it ! I've always said that giving back to those who have touched your life by sharing that kindness with others is one of the most important things you can do so that they won't be forgotten. The "Wolfman's" throaty, hearty, laugh always echoes in the canyons of my mind. Just priceless !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

That's one of the GREAT things about the H.A.M.B...we can share our thoughts and memories with each other right here. And, at this time of the year - and all-year round - we can thank Ryan, the man who created this super-cool Site for that privilege !!

Again, thanks Jim,

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

One more piece of Info on the "Wolfman": Lonnie Napier worked with Jack for many, many years as Producer, Manager, and, V.P. of Jack's company.

Lonnie always toured with the "Wolfman" and we met in that Summer of 1993. Lonnie was a great help to Jack, a great friend to him, and one of the really "good guys" in a very hard-driving profession. At one time they toured the country together doing over 150 appearances/benefits/shows a year...plus, Jack's regular on-air-gigs ! Lonnie was there every step of the way.

SO, I wanted you to know about Lonnie...'cause he was an integral part of Jack's history for so many years, and helped him in everyway he could...up until Jack's final day: July 1, 1995.

Hope everyone is having a safe, wonderful New Year's Eve, AND, just as the "Wolfman" says in his NYE, 1993 call to me: "If your drinkin'...DON'T DRIVE !"

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Wanted to thank everyone who took the time to check-out this rare piece of R&R Radio History for NYE, and, add your personal thoughts & long-time memories of the "Wolfman". ALSO, hope that your 2015 is your b-e-s-t year ever !!

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

THE 2015 UPDATE: "ROCK & ROLL RADIO HISTORY: "New Year's Eve With Wolfman Jack, In 1993"

Again, for all my friends here at the H.A.M.B. I wanted to share this piece of R&R Radio History that happened when I was on "Juke Box 96" Radio, NYE 1993, here in St. Louis.

At 11:00pm that night I got a surprise phone call from my old friend "Wolfman Jack". If you've heard this in past year's, here's your chance to hear it again. If you're new to the H.A.M.B. you have some real fun to look forward to !

Jack was one of the most caring, wonderful, persons you'd ever meet. AND, one of the best-remembered, most-iconic Radio Personalities to ever sit behind a mike. And, I know SO many of you "Cruised With The Wolfman" through the year's.

I HAVE ADDED SOME new Info to the Tribute I have for the "Wolfman" on the lower section of this Special Page, and, if you're ready, simply Click-On-The-Link below, and, once more, hear the one-and-only "WOLFMAN JACK":

Thanks to each and everyone who took the time to check-out this Thread...and, let's hear your favorite stories of the "Wolfman" !

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    jcmarz likes this.
  11. mike bowling

mike bowling

Great way to send New Year's greetings, and a moving tribute to an American Icon.
    "If there's a Rock 'n Roll Heaven, they've gotta have a helluva Band", not to mention their DJ!
    Yeah, Baybeee!!
    Thanks Jonnie, and all the best for 2016!

Jonnie King likes this.
  12. cfmvw

cfmvw

Growing up in mid-coast Maine in the '70s and '80s, we didn't get any of his programming, although we knew him from American Graffiti and had heard about his shows on the X (I think ZZ Top did a song about it). I knew he had to be really good if Mom and Dad didn't like him!

Jonnie King likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Jonnie - Thanks for sharing this

Jonnie King likes this.
  14. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for bumping this Jonnie. There will never be another Wolfman.

Jonnie King likes this.
  15. Thanks again, Jonnie King. I never get tired of the Wolfman. I'd sure like to sit down with you over a cup of coffee or a couple of beers. Me thinks you have a few stories, my friend, and I'd love to hear 'em. Happy New Year to you, JK!

Jonnie King and elgringo71 like this.
  16. What am I doing wrong????? I clicked on your link and it took me to the page with Wolfman but there's nothing "clickable" on the page to play the audio??????

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Sorry you had a problem. Shortly after you get to the Page and it buffers you hear the Audio automatically. The program I use for my sites uses the Adobe Flash App to activate the sound...and Apple devices have a problem with that. (I can see it on my iPod, but I can't hear it either due to that situation.)

BUT, on my Reg. PC Format Desktop & Laptop with Adobe Flash installed it is perfect. Just clicked-on the Link...I'm on that Page right now and it sounds fine.

Again, so sorry about the problem, Carl, but if you can get to a Reg. non-Apple PC that has Adobe Flash you should be able to enjoy it. Thanks so much for letting me know so that I could steer you in the right direction !

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

18. Had to reset Flashplayer.
    Great to hear the Wolfman again. We always listened to him on XERB here in SoCal.
    Sure do miss him.................and KMET, The Mighty Met. "94.7, Tweedle Dee"

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Mike,
    Thanks to you too ! The "Wolfman" loved Rock & Roll, Crusin', AND, everyone of his listeners ! Ya gotta know he is up there smilin' down on all us Hambers right now !

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

cfmvw...
    Great memories for everyone who's ever seen American Graffiti !

The song you're thinking of is "CLAP FOR THE WOLFMAN" from Canada's Guess Who...and, you can hear it all-over-again as it's a part of the Audio on this Special Tribute Page to the "Wolfman"...sing-along if you want ! ENJOY ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker, AND, elgringo71...

Thanks !

Thought I'd bring out another pic for everybody here: It's from the Summer of 1974. I was Music Director at KSLQ/St. Louis, we had added & charted "Clap For The Wolfman", and the "Wolfman" was in town to visit us on a Promo Tour with the Local & National RCA Records Reps. That's when we first met.

We thought it would be cool if he sat-in on our Afternoon Drive show for an hour or so...he loved the idea; had lots of fun; and, our listeners talked about it for weeks ! Here's one of the pix I've had in my Archives since that day...the "Wolfman" in-action in our KSLQ-FM Studio, 1974 !
    [​IMG]
    "Clap For The Wolfman" : http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You might enjoy this then: Growing up with WLS "back in the day" another WLS legend is still rockin' it check this out: Dick is now 83 and can be found here! http://www.947wls.com/dick-biondi/

23. yruhot

yruhot

Seems to me that there was quite some controversey of his broadcasting technics, Like his wattage was exceeded and he was broadcasting from TJ mex. over to the us or off shore to the us. Thats how he got such good coverage. Anyone else heard anything like this. Dosent really matter I loved his show.

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

yruhot...
    Yes, you're right. Let me give you the "edited version": It goes back to the early days of broadcasting. At one time there were no power/wattage laws in-place, and ALL radio stations at that time were on the AM Band (FM was to come in the future...but wasn't there yet.).

There was a Convention held in 1934 to establish laws, as many powerhouse stations, owned by moguls who could afford almost any power they wanted, especially in Major Cities/Areas, were experimenting with higher and higher wattage. They were drowning-out the signals of the smaller cities/"mom & pop" stations. That was the creation of the Federal Communications Commission, by the Federal Government during the Roosevelt Administration.

Thus, the Convention set-up a limit of 50,000kw for what were called "Clear Channel" stations...and there were only so many Clear Channel licenses' that could available here in the U.S.A. ALSO, in order to protect the smaller stations that could be on, or close to the frequency in smaller areas, those Clear Channel stations were required to change their Signal Coverage on a "Sunset-To-Sunrise" basis and beam in usually a North-South direction during that time period. (Because of that coverage, when I was at 50,000kw KAAY/Little Rock for many year's, I got lots of mail from as far away as Canada & Cuba !)

NOW, BACK TO "THE WOLFMAN": Yes, because XERB was across the Border in Mexico, they didn't honor that 1934 FCC Ruling, had a lot more than 50,000kw, Jack was heard as far as those Mega Watts could carry him...and the Feds couldn't control it, even though the signal interfered with many, many smaller stations all over the U.S.A.

And, yes, wherever you are here in the U.S.A. today all AM stations still are required to either lower their power, or, change their Signal Pattern if they're 50,000kw, everyday on a Sunset-To-Sunrise basis. But, here on the Internet...you can blast as loud as you want...and, the only way you'll probably bother anyone is if your windows are open ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

Hope this Info helps !

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  25. Thanks much for this, and a very Happy New Year to you Jonnie. Have a great 2016, OR THE WOLFMAN GUNNA GETCHYA!:D

lothiandon1940 and Jonnie King like this.
  26. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hey, mad mikey ! Your welcome too ! Hope yours is a Super-Kool 2016...and, I wish your family the same.

Lots has changed since NYE, 1993...but the Wolfman's voice still rings out loud and clear...even if he's on the way to GETCHA !!!!:)
    Later Gator...

mad mikey likes this.
  27. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

JeffB2...
    These are great...thanks for adding 'em !

A little story about WLS: When I was doing 7-11pm at KAAY/Little Rock (50,000kw), my chief competition was Kris Eric Stevens at WLS(50,000kw)...but in my Region I always beat him. (He was very, very good at what he did. Later on went into, mainly Voice Over production I think.)

But, it was a friendly rivalry...we all were just doing the best we could, every way, every night.

Thanks again for Posting these, Jeff .

28. Don't know how I missed seeing this thread for the past 5 years, but I'm glad that I finally found it. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was one of those "wanna-be" DJ's that the Wolfman inspired. Had a great time working in the industry that I loved, and then watched it change around me. Got to meet some great people, a few legends, some real assholes, and even got to work with some of my heroes along the way. The memories, and the music, will last forecer.

29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

37hotrod...

Amen to what you've said above. Since I started in it over 48 years ago, I've seen all of those changes in the Industry, and more. The memories, and the music will last forever...and, most of the legends I've met personally were truly deserving of the title.

I'm so glad you stopped by to share your thoughts, 'cause once you've "been there, done that" you have a real feeling of what happens daily when you slip behind the mike. And, I'll tell you honestly, from the time I first met him in 1974, to the time of this NYE, 1993, surprise phone call that he gave me, "Wolfman Jack" was as real as they come...and it was an honor to know him.

You can hear "the truth" in his voice On-The-Air, and he was just the same in-person.

Again, sincere thanks, 37hotrod, and a Happy New Year to you !

JK www.legends.thewwbc,net

30. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Saxman !

Happy New Year to you, my friend. Your work is always spot-on, very creative ! And, your life, like mine, is based on the love of cars & music...and, art.

The cool thing about that is most everybody here at the H.A.M.B. shares that same passion...in fact, a creatively-done Rod, OR, Custom, is a beautiful "song" in its own right...especially when you hear the music that comes from the purring of the engine, the rhythm of the wheels rolling down the road, and the sounds that the wind makes as it floats through your open windows, or, over your topless roadster.

Have Mercy ! And, Happy New Year to everybody reading this right now, 'cause Jack will be Crusin' with us in our memories...forever !

Saxman likes this.