Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: New Year's Eve With Wolfman Jack !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A Special Note To All My Friends Here At The H.A.M.B...

AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE, THE LEGENDARY "WOLFMAN JACK" GAVE ME A SURPRISE PHONE CALL on New Year's Eve, 1993, when I was doing my show on JUKE BOX 96 Radio/St. Louis.
    [​IMG]
    (This photo from the July of 1974, when he was on a Promotional Tour for "Clap For The Wolfman". It's in our KSLQ-FM/St. Louis On-Air Studio...that's when I was Music Director there and the Wolfman & I first met.)​

I've saved this rare piece of audio history in my Personal Archive's for all these years...and now, as a Special New Year's Gift, I want to share it with you. Just click-on here to listen... and, be sure to pass this link onto a friend right now so they can hear it too !!

I was lucky enough to have Jack for a friend...and this saved audio helps keep his memory alive.

ALSO, there's some personal memories of the Wolfman on that Special Page for you to read, as well as an In-Studio pic of us as we were giving him a sound-check & getting ready for an Interview Session in August, 1993.​
    AND, if you listen closely, you can "Clap For The Wolfman" with the Guess Who ! Here's the easy Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

A VERY Happy New Yeart all of you ! God Bless & Thanks for all of your help & support during 2011 !!

The H.A.M.B. Board has the BEST Group of R&C Gearheads in the World and, I hope to meet up with you at a Show or Cruise in 2012 !​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    WDobos, blackrat40 and funk 49 like this.
  2. TOO COOL!!
    i sure miss "THE WOLFMAN JACK SHOW"

yruhot likes this.
  3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Jonnie - thanks for sharing. I had an oldies show for three years (NPR station) in Kodiak, AK. No pay (volunteer) just did it for kicks and the station manager was a good friend and thought I had a great face for radio (ar ar ar ar). Anyway, listening to the Wolfman helped me figure out how to do a show like that. Figured I did alright, as every year at the annual membership meeting, I was only show host to get a standing ovation...

the Wolfman set a standard that will last forever. He was reintroduced to youth just because of his appearance in AG - whole new generation of fans.

thanks again

dj

yruhot likes this.
  4. casper

casper

I still listen to him every weeknight from 6:00 to 7:00 pm, the local oldies station re-plays his "Graffiti Gold" program. I was lucky enough to meet him and get an autographed 8x10 in the late 1980's or early 90's.

5. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I ran into the Wolfman late one night in 1973 at LAX while he was waiting for a flight to NY...what a class guy. It's hard to believe that he has been gone for over 15 years now, glad to hear that his voice keeps living on.

yruhot likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

I keep hearing that voice in my head... :( He will be missed! :( As for the solid gold oldies music, I love it to death!! :)

yruhot likes this.
  7. Clap for the Wolfman, He's gonna rate your record high!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

The Guess Who... Love that tune! :D

Stogy and yruhot like this.
  9. I was fortunate enough to get through to the Wolfman a couple of times when he was doing the live show in D.C. and had him play requests. I've got his book and an autographed 8x10 that I cherish. Never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but speaking to him on the phone those two times and having him play songs for me was a thrill of a lifetime. ....Don.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Ahhhh.....the golden tones of the Wolfman..... brings back the memories....thanks!

11. Deuces

Deuces

Great! Now I can't that song out of my head! :mad: Guess I'll call the local oldies station and have them throw a spin on that one.. :D:D

12. I was just thinking the other day.....how cool would it be if there was an online radio station that just played original wolfman shows and music from back in the day. I did a search on Pandora, but no luck. I'd love that!!! It'd be the official garage/shop station!

13. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Cool thanks for sharing. I guess I'm too young to remember you as a stl radio DJ. maybe i'll run into you sometime.

14. Tripple G

Tripple G

"THE WOLFMAN IS EVERYWHERE":cool:

yruhot likes this.
  15. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to listen late at night to the Wolfman in the early 70's when the radio signal made to Spokane ( ionic skip). It was a sad day when he passed.

16. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

'how old are you"? "I am only 14"

I love you Wolfman

17. Poltax

Poltax
    from UT

18. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

[​IMG]
    DAMN, wish I still had HALF that hair, still got the hat though.
    Can I get a collective...HOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLL..... Have a popsicle

Stogy and LOU WELLS like this.
  19. screwball

screwball

When I saw this thread I ignored it thinking it was about the guy out there that calls himself the Wolfman as a tribute. Thanks I am happy I was wrong KOOOL

20. beauishere

beauishere

Wow. That's a treasure. Thank you for sharing. Sure do miss that voice.

I met the Wolfman back in the seventies in the parking lot of the old K-POI studios in Honolulu. He was on tour with the Guess Who and was doing a live broadcast in the back of some kind of plate lunch truck or something. He was very cool to me and my friends. I still have a Wolfman For President bumper sticker he signed for me around here someplace.

Have Mercy!

21. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

That the best!!!!
    Pontiac Slim

22. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL MY FELLOW HAMBERS WHO'VE TAKEN THE TIME TO POST HERE & LISTEN TO THE "WOLFMAN":

As Jack himself would say..."HAVE MERCY !" The love for that man, and his impact on all of us, has shown bright & clear here on this Board.

The Wolfman was a unique & true ORIGINAL whose voice, style, and the memories that he's created for everyone who has EVER heard him will live on forever.

I've been privileged & blessed to meet many in BOTH the Music Industry & the Rod & Custom Industry through all my years, and the Wolfman was one of THE BEST. PERIOD. With him the phrase "What You See Is What You Get" was the absolute truth. And, I will tell you that "Wolfman Jack" was a class act, and one hell of a good human being.

I saw his effect on those around him, how he had compassion & feeling for everyone he met, how he could bring a smile to those who thought they had no friend except "that man they heard on the Radio", and, how he respected, and was respected, by his fellow Broadcasters.

So, I hope in some small way on this New Year's Eve, I've helped to bring back to you the voice & the spirit of a Hall Of Fame Legend that touched us all, and whose kindness & friendship shown to me personally will never be forgotten.

Again, Happy New Year to each & everyone here at the H.A.M.B., and if you missed the link to the Wolfman's Special Page, here it is:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. I bumped into the Wolfman several times in the 70's at a club I worked at in Hollywood called the Starwood. The guy was way cool. There were a couple of breakfast trips to the Rainbow bar and grill.

Never a negitive word from his mouth. Always upbeat.

I purchased his book when it came out.. The man led a wild life.

24. HotRod33

HotRod33

Wow... KADI 96 oldies show that brings back alot of memories for me. I listened to the Wolfman every sunday night for years. Thanks to recordings the wolfman will never die......

25. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

I was on my honeymoon in St Thomas in the Virgin Islands, July 1986, I'm laying by the pool drinking a frozen drink of some sort, there's this guy on the beach chair right next to me that looks just like Wolfman Jack. After about an hour I ask him "are you Wolfman Jack" and in that unmistakable voice he says "yes I am" I didn't know what to say after that. He bought me and the new wife a congrats drink, nice guy. Just thought I'd share that story. Dave

26. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Happy New Year Jonnie! Have Mercy indeed. Priceless. Slim

27. billsat

billsat

"Don't touch my knobs!"

28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Being from Motown I never heard of "Wolfman" until I was drafted back in '69 & sent to Ca. for basic & schooling. Loved the guy. He's icing on the cake in the movie American Graffiti.

29. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  30. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HotRod33...

Yes, I was programming KADI in 75-76. We then changed the Call Letters to KRJY. And at that time we were,first, Joy96...then in 1992 we turned into a Solid Oldies Format and we were "Juke Box 96".

In fact, I have a l-o-n-g Aircheck of Juke Box 96 that you can hear on my personal WebSite: www.jonnieking.net All Oldies Good As Gold !
    (Lots of other Airchecks from ALL of my Radio Days are on that Site too.)

Thanks for remembering !

AND, as I write this, I can just about see THE WOLFMAN smilin' down on EVERYBODY here on the H.A.M.B Board sayin' "A BIG THANK YOU, FOR REMEMBERING ME ! A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU, AND IF YOU AIN'T HEARD ME YET...CLICK-ON THE LINK, TURN UP YOUR SPEAKERS & STAND BACK !"
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

nicky64chevy and lothiandon1940 like this.