Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester Model B Replacement question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Mar 30, 2013.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

Hey I am looking for an adapter and what would be a suitable replacement for a Rochester model B off of a chevy 250? I am just looking for something reliable and something that isn't going to break the bank. I cannot find any adapters from the stock 1 bbl intake to 2bbl carbs. What would be good for improving mileage? Weber carbs? I am getting mixed information and just am seeking some solid advice on this.

2. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

carb adapters are available....ebay item 350647584606. You can adapt to just about any 2 bbl. If you are looking for economy stick with a Rochester 2g. (my opinion)Webers are expensive to buy and build and parts are not as easy to come by. I guess you don't like the 1 bbl?

3. young olds

young olds

4. 1959apache

1959apache

I cannot get it to stop leaking, first the bowl to the air horn was leaking... I tried to fix it, even with sealant and it is still leaking. It kind of stopped leaking enough that I felt somewhat comfortable and now the shaft for the actual butterfly is leaking, where it wasn't before... I cannot get it to adjust correctly either, it is just giving me more problems than I want to deal with and the fuel economy sucks really badly and so does the performance. In addition it will not stay running unless I bump the idle way up, thus resulting in the transmission slamming into gear, which will shake the teeth out of your head.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

I'm thinking about the Clifford intake manifold for my 250, because I have a fresh Edelbrock 500 cfm carburetor I'm not using yet. It is not compatible with the stock exhaust manifold.:( I'm thinking a possible 30 horsepower gain with headers. :D

6. 1959apache

1959apache

Is that the edelbrock in the picture? Do the Rochester 2gs work alright?

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

^^^^^Sure looks like a Edelbrock carb to me. If you want to run a 2 Barrel there is a 250 6 cyl Clifford two barrel intake on eBay right now for $167.00. I also have a perfect Rochester 2 barrel I'm not using from a '66 Chevelle . So, this intake has been a consideration.

Attached Files:

8. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah I saw that on evilbay earlier. Not sure I want to toss that much money out on something I don't really need if I can get the adapter for $15. I am trying to not make this my project vehicle, I just am trying to make it so it is reliable. This carb I am using now just isn't very reliable.

9. Giddyup

Giddyup
    from Denver, CO

You sure you have a 250? A 235 came stock in that truck w/ Rochester B. I think 250's (not available until at least 1963) came with a different carb w/ a square base. I just bought an Advance Adapter's from Summit 2 to 1 adapter for my 235. I had a B from a 216, so it was under carbed. I put the adapter w/ Rochester 2Jet from a V8 on today & it made a big difference. Pushes a lot more air. I still have to make linkage & jet it down. Was running rich. Some people say putting the 2Jet on the stock 1 barrel intake will give you a flat spot in acceleration. Guess I'll see.

10. Sounds like what you're fighting with the original carb is an over-rich condition due to a high fuel level in the float bowl. You might cure it with a bit of troubleshooting.

Check the float to make sure it hasn't taken on fuel due to a leak.

Check the float level and drop adjustments.

Make sure the float moves freely thru it's range of travel.

Make sure the fuel pressure isn't too high and overriding the needle and seat.

See if there's any debris in the needle and seat and that the seat is tightened properly.

The leak at the airhorn may be caused by the fuel level being so high it's above the top of the bowl. What doesn't leak out at the gasket may be entering the throat of the carb thru the vent tube or thru the main nozzles when it's not needed. It puddles up on the throttle plates and tries to then leak past the ends of the throttle shaft.

The excess fuel also explains why it takes so much throttle opening to keep the engine idling. It's putting enough fuel into the engine to be running at quarter or half throttle and it needs that much more air to keep it running at all. One or two simple fixes might be all it takes to lean things back out to specs, give you a proper idle and get your fuel mileage back where it belongs.

Consider doing an oil change too. Pull the dipstick and the odds are the oil is thin and black and smells like gasoline from all the extra fuel washing down the cylinders into the crankcase.

11. 1959apache

1959apache

yes it is a 250, the guy "bought" a reman, but I think he just found it locally and rebuilt it himself... I don't know of any carb rebuilder that would use two gaskets between the air horn and the main body of the carb... let me know how it goes with the carb swap and test drive. I am not looking for a ton of acceleration, just enough to get me around town. If I wanted acceleration I would drop in this 350 that I have sitting in my garage.

12. Giddyup

Giddyup
    from Denver, CO

I just looked at your build thread. What happened to the V8? Looks like you did a lot of work & had it dialed in. I can see why you have a 250 & not a 235. Different mounting & bellhousing pattern same as V8. Check your local junkyard. If they haven't all been scrapped, look for a later straight 6 in Nova's & trucks & other GM vehicles. Chevy used the 250/292 through the 80's. Better intakes & carbs. Plus HEI distributor if you don't already have it.
    Hopefully I can get my truck going tomorrow night.

13. 1959apache

1959apache

I still have a 350 in my Apache and in my '40 plymouth coupe, I think you got confused ;). I have another sitting at a friends house because I don't have a truck to go pick it up, yet. I will try to find one of the cars you mentioned to see if I can find one I can use. We don't have any junk yards that have any old iron anymore, they scrapped everything that was pre-1980. I will check to see if I can find something in there that has what I am looking for. Hopefully I can get everything back together tomorrow without a problem. (knock on wood)

14. 1959apache

1959apache

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->Okay, here's my problem... my Rochester 2b is leaking through the throttle shafts, it leaks gas in other places too. I need to replace it... in addition the throttle linkage is bent, I have bent it back, but it is tempered at this point and is just getting worse... it will bend out of shape and cause the throttle to stick wide open... not good or safe...

Does anyone have pictures of their chevy inline 6 (preferably a 250) with a new 2 barrel carb and new linkage setup? I am looking at possibly getting a 2 barrel weber 32/36 or a carter, etc. How do you like them? Do you have any problems with them? What would you do differently if you had a chance? I don't have the scratch for a dual carb setup, so this is primarily for a single carb that I am looking for to use with an adapter on my stock intake.

Please post pictures or links so I can do further research, I have been doing it for over a week and I can't find what I am looking for. Thanks!

15. I would just go out and buy a new carb for it. They're relatively cheap and anyone makes them. I bought a new Carter years back for a 235 Chevy. Make sure you take care of your tank issues first.

Bob

16. 1959apache

1959apache

That is what I am looking to do, what kind of carter did you buy and did you use the stock linkage? Have any pictures?

17. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

I had similar issues with the carb on my 235 and was able to find a Holley reman (HLY-64-7073) from Summit in the Fall of 2011. It solved my carb issues straight away but doesn't seem to be available from Summit any longer. In it's place they seem to be offering a UREMCO rebuild. Not certain that helps.

18. This was in 1976 or so. I was in a parts house looking for a rebuilt one for my truck, they had none in stock, but the guy says, we have new ones. I say.. ok... how much... it came to around $32. It was a Carter knockoff of the Rochester, bolted on like the old one.

I just took a look online... came up with nothing. I would either try a local NAPA parts house or if you have a carb shop nearby, have them do yours over.

Bob

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  19. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks mike, I took a look at this one was a holley rebuild. Typical right?? :D

20. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks for the info Bob. The parts stores around here have a lack of any individuals with actual automotive experience. I called the local carb shop and they said that the replacement Holley carb for the Rochester model B is Holley R8215. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there other carbs out there that have better fuel economy?

21. 1959apache

1959apache

Does anyone with a 2 barrel want to speak up?

22. I looked around online, figured I'd be falling over the Holley equivalent, but nada. The best fuel economy you'll get is related to your right foot usage.

Bob

23. Those model Bs seem to be notorious leakers. A lot of them leak at the air horn because of decades of folks over tightening the screws. That's probably why someone put two gaskets on there. Years ago I would use fine sandpaper wrapped around a flat piece of material to get them flat again. You could probably do it with a small file, if you're careful. That doesn't solve the issue of your worn out throttle shaft though.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah it blows big time. I am kind of leary of taking this thing out since the throttle linkage was tweaked.I am wondering if a motor mount broke loose or something.