Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester Carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by younggun13, Jun 3, 2009.

1. younggun13

younggun13

Whats your opinion on rochester carbs. is anyone running some....

2. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have three, Easy to work on and reliable. Not a thing wrong with them.

3. younggun13

younggun13

why are the stromburgs so much damn money compared to the rochesters?

4. Re: Rochester Carbs <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> why are the stromburgs so much damn money compared to the rochesters?

Because they leak more fuel all over your engine than a rochester!!!!

Rochesters work great...plenty traditional in my book!

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The main reasons are their are a lot less serviceable Stromberg cores out there than Rochester's and most 2 barrel performance intakes are for 3 bolt carbs. Also Strombergs are simpler to set up mainly because of their mechanical (not vacuum operated) power valves and they look better too.

6. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I have 3 Rochester "2 jet" carbs on an Edelbrock intake. They all need to be rebuilt from sitting for a long time. At least this thread makes them sound like they are fine to use, so thats a positive for me!

I did stop by Autozone the other day and ask for a rebuild kit and they told me they do not stock them any more for these. :(

7. Glideman88

Glideman88

I have a Rochester 2GV sitting on top of my Flathead and it's working great!

The old original Holley 94 is gathering dust of the shelf.

8. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

i run the stock one on my 54, after the rebuild its been great

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Another annoying reason is that they made so many subtle changes in the Rochester's that it is difficult to find a matched set. But don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them and they are still a very good carburetor. As a matter of fact I have 4 that I'm planning on using myself.

10. Greezy

Greezy

Too lazy to look them up more than likely. Go to a real parts house, they will have it.

11. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Keep your fuel pressure down to 4 1/2 lbs or less and you should be fine. Most leaks are caused by way too much fuel pressure. I'm on my 2nd Rochester 2GC tri-power using an Edelbrock manifold, and they run very well. It is also VERY important that you make certain your air/fuel mix is balanced. If it's not, your eyes will burn when it's idling! The mix is adjusted by turning the little screws mounted on the front of the carb bodies. You either tighten them up, or back them off. You should be able to both hear & smell a proper adjustment on these two. Good luck!

12. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

they are good carbs. I bought my kits for my trips from advance. they had to order them but they got them

13. Herdez

Herdez

I swapped my holley and rebuilt my big 4g for the "nostalgic era" purpose and I wouldnt swap it back for the Holley. Many nhra stock cars run this carb well into the 12's. Also the "look" factor is cool so dont be fooled they have a bunch of performance locked up in it from the factory to make it a smogger.

Heres the link on how to rebuild a 4g for performance use. click

14. gas pumper

gas pumper

I'm another fan of the Rochester2G carbs. Never had a drivability problem I could not solve with them.

The HP Books, "Rochester Carburetors" has a small section on the 2 bbl carbs, It's worth the investment. The section is small cause there is not much to them.

You can easily convert heat activated choke carbs to an electric choke. The Holley choke can flops right on there.

Frank

15. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I have heard them referred to as "rotten chesters", but I really can't understand why. It takes me several days to a week to build (restore) a 94 in order to make it function right and not leak. I don't fool with 97's at all 'cause they are just too expensive....

Rochesters are simple to rebuild and, if properly done, work just as well as Stromberg or Holley.

Rich

16. carbking

carbking

The two and four barrel Rochesters from 1955 up are some of the finest carburetors produced anywhere in the world at any price. :)

The one barrel carbs......well, they are better than a 15 year-old kid standing on the running board pouring gas into the engine out or a leaky boot....maybe. :p

The biggest issue is identification if the tag has been removed (id number stamped 1968 and newer). Some of the four barrels in the 1957~1958 era have the last 4 digits of the identification number stamped on the airhorn; but not all, even in this period. Tuning parts are another issue; although they are readily available mail order, if not from the local parts house.

Two barrels were used on engines from 140 CID to 455 CID.

Four barrels were used on engines from 265 CID to 500 CID.

LOTS of different internal sizes. Use the proper size and style and most individual like them.

Jon.

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have used many Rodchester carbs over the years and can't ever think of having any problems with them .
    Would like to find some 2 jet for my 3x2 set-up .

18. skunx1964

skunx1964

what about the 500cfm 2gc from speedway? good for a 3 deuce setup on a big motor? not worth the trouble? just curious, i happened across em in the catalog the other day.....

19. younggun13

younggun13

Thanks for the feedback im in the middle of rebuilding my 327 and i want to go with the triple carb intake manifold but i just didnt know what kinda carbs i was gonna run im pretty sure im gona find myself some rochesters!!!

20. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Best carbs I have ever had, simple and work great!

Attached Files:

21. younggun13

younggun13

anyone by any chance have three for sale???????

22. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

i have the stock rochester on my 54 chevy and after a rebuild not a single problem that could'nt be solved in 5 minutes with a flat head screwdriver. napa is a lot better bet for finding your rebuild kits the other stores are phasing out the old parts, i have to order theoil filter for my car, but any way yes go with the rochester one trip to a classic gold yard you should find a few rebuildable ones cheap

23. Rust Monkey

Rust Monkey

I've run Rochester 2gc's for years and have never had any issues. Only advise is to stay away from the laters ones with the spring loaded rubber vent on the top of the bowl. If you car sits for a few days / week these will sometimes let the fuel evaporate and cause hard starting (gotta wait for the fuel bowl to fill back up).

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I like my 3-2jet set up so much..(on the engine for my A build)
    I bought another setup just like it for my 53.

25. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Yep Supply and Demand is a big deal...I wouldn't go as far as saying they look better though...I f'n hate Strombergs.

I'd kill for a tri-power for my 425 Olds.

26. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I've had tri-power Rochesters on both a 283 and a 327. I love the look and while they can be a pain every once in a while they are a very good carb.
    [​IMG]

27. panic

panic

Why are Strombergs so expensive?

Because you want them...

28. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

would three rods be to much for a 300cid I6? i thought about some 94's but have not found three matching ones yet. i did find the tri power kit for the 2g rods though. just not sure if it will be over carbed.

29. Abomination

Abomination

No doubt!

You sir, hit the nail square on the head!

~jason

30. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

keep typing "oldsmobile aluminum intake" in on e-bay. the 66 tri power intake has been re-produced and pops up there for around 300 bucks. looks nice, too.