Register now to get rid of these ads!

rochester carb float repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robertsregal, May 10, 2011.

1. robertsregal

robertsregal

So I have a rochester 4GC carb that needs to have the floats repaired with solder, Has anyone done this? I have one with a crack in the float and one that looks like the mount area is coming loose. Ive been told to melt solder off vent hole solder repair area with as little solder as possible, weight issue. Any thoughts?? Ive found only one person that has these and he wants a kings ransom!

2. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

yes thats how to do it.clean the float,use flux and solder it.the hard part is closing the vent hole with out melting the repair.you could put a wet rag on the crack repair then fill the vent hole depending on how far it is from the crack.use thin solder too.

3. A Google search for "carb float repair" returned this to the top of the first page. Plus I think the site owner is a member here. Scroll to the bottom of the page for details. It's a bit more involved than your description, but it sounds like the right way to do it and might be worth a try.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_parts.htm

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

and use a solder iron. It don't take much heat. I've done it years ago to repair cracked seams. If you put the float in warm water after the solder job, the expansion of the air will show bubbles if it's still leaking.

Try and get the gas out, if you can hear it rattling around in there. Preheating with the solder iron to evaporate it will work.

5. budd

budd

i have tried to repair brass floats, as soon as the float gets hot the air inside expands and keeps the hole from closing, glade i have seen this thread, i knew there had to be a way.

6. robertsregal

robertsregal

Thanks for the info got them repaired I guess it helped to have a solder iron and supplies from doing stained glass, who would have thought it!

7. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Robert, if you have the carb # ... napa still stocks floats for most carbs. You may have to do a little digging, but it will be worth it.
    I have repaired floats in the past. Mixed results at best..
    Good luck
    Dave
    If you want to post the # i can try and locate a float.
    As I am a retired old parts guy, I love a challenge !

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have a few 2g's Rochester floats sitting around..either cracked or small hole in them.
    I never wasted any time on them due to the fact i can get em for like 8 bucks at a local carb rebulder in Dearborn Mi called Acme carb..

but if in a pinch, or cant find one..I would attempt the repair method..

9. Abomination

Abomination

That's carbking here on the HAMB. You should send him a PM, or even better, call him. He'll help you out!

~Jason