Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester BC choke vacuum question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1pickup, May 7, 2018.

1. 1pickup

1pickup

Got 2 matching (almost- a '59 & a '62) Rochester BC carbs on my 250 in my wagon. Rebuilt them. Got some vacuum pulling from the chokes (stove tubes?) Did a search & found conflicting answers (of course). So, what's the course of action here? Plug them & forget about it? Hook up some sort of stove tube to the manifold? It's an Offy intake & I don't see where that can be done. Other suggestions? It seems to idle smoother when I put my finger over the holes. Doesn't seem to have much effect on the road. Thanks.

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

If you are talking about the port on the choke thermostat, that should go to the exhaust for heat. Not into the exhaust... Pulling heat from it. The factory manifold had a provision for the tube that allowed heated air to go thru to the carb.

3. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Dave, those are supposed to have vacuum to pull heat through a tube in the exhaust manifold to heat and open the choke thermostat. If you have the chokes held open, have manual choke or using electric thermostat you can plug them off. If you are using the factory style choke you will need to figure out how to make them pull heat from the exhaust manifold.

4. 1pickup

1pickup

Thanks Chris. I don't see any provision for the stove tubes on the exhaust manifold. I assume they were different manual choke vs. automatic choke. On the lower part of the intake, just above where it bolts to the exhaust manifold, there is a threaded hole (not all the way into the plenum) that I have no idea what it's for. It's only an inch or so away from the exhaust manifold. Think that would work well enough? I don't want to have to make some sheet metal abortion to make it work. Or, I suppose I can just make the chokes stay open...

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. cshades

cshades
    from wi

there should be 2 holes next to each other or at least all the way through the manifold. You could always run 2 manual choke set ups under the dash to the carbs.