Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester 2G Squirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Hey, check this out. Somebody plugged my accelerator outlets on my Venturi cluster with wire. Is this normal? No wonder it wouldn't accelerate!

Anyone seen this before?

Nick IMG_20200212_102940.jpeg IMG_20200212_102957.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Possible someone previously drilled them out larger, and this was a band aid fix. Hard to tell.
    When you say accelerate, I think you mean respond, seeing that circuit is done once the throttle opening has stabilized.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be wary of this carburetor. There's no telling what else someone who would do this would also do.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only thought is that it was a back yard /back alley attempt at cutting down the discharge From the accelerator pump Some damned fool though he could get better gas mileage if he cut the accelerator pump shot down on the carb at one time. Probably got the idea down at the spit and whittle club from one of the local experts.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to go with Tubman on that one. If they did that there is no telling what other half ass mods they did to it that are just as suspect.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I did that to the 2gc's on the man a fre on my corvette and it was a common modification for man a fre's with 4 carbs. all hooked up and squirting at the same time it was too much, I put wire through mine (I read bout it in an old magazine) and it ran a lot better after....

jimgoetz, ottoman, Old wolf and 5 others like this.
  7. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Yeah I was thinking it must have come from a multi carb setup.

Old wolf and Nicholas Coe like this.
  8. fordflambe

fordflambe

Doesn't make sense to me..............why not just leave the accelerator pump disconnected?

I've drilled them out to get more fuel on transition and even bent accelerator pump link to increase or decrease travel, but never done this??

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

mine are not completely blocked. the wires are about half diameter of the orifice

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  10. I think you got it. It's on my Man a Fre that has camel hump heads and a bigger cam. I bet they were trying to get it to run smoothly.

Nick
    IMG952019092595155121.jpeg

Moriarity likes this.
  11. carbking

carbking

No dis-respect meant to anyone, but why do it?

The volume of the accelerator pump squirt on a Rochester 2-barrel is almost infinitely adjustable. The pumps are built with a "delayer" spring in the articulation. Different pumps (there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of different ones) have a different articulation. One can also bend the pump operating rod to lower the pump in the pump cylinder under steady state conditions, thereby reducing the usable volume. One can also change the tension of the delayer spring to control the total timing of the pump squirt. So both total volume of the squirt, and the time to deliver the volume are adjustable.

By using the above method, not only can you tune the squirt, but you should get the exact same squirt each time.

As far as an article in a magazine suggesting this? I quit reading 'Hot Rod" magazine after reading an article in "Hot Rod" that the "hot" set-up for a dual-quad 283 Corvette was to replace the vacuum piston springs with those from PaperMate ball-point pens. Carter offered a variety of different springs to tune for different camshafts. Wonder how close the tolerances were on the ball-point pen springs?

Jon.

12. And now, for the rest of the story...

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  13. We're getting there. I'll soon get this little monster finished and introduce it to the club! Did find out that it wasn't the wire. It was the accelerator pumps themselves. They didn't fit the pump wells.