Register now to get rid of these ads!

Robert Williams Hot Rod Prints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fargoguy, Oct 23, 2004.

1. fargoguy

fargoguy

I was at a friend's place today, and he presented me with something he thought i'd like. There are 4 Robert williams Hot rod Prints. One is a 20th anniversary Championship auto shows, one is a tribute to Roth and Barris, One is the Deuces wild one and the last one is a hot rod scene with a race and a crash involving a 40 ford coupe flying through the air. They're in GREAT shape and they're HUGE. I'd never seen one or heard of them before. Anyone else have any? Evan

2. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i love the one with the crash. i think it is hot rod race, perhaps? according to mr. williams though, he invented rat rodding by being the first one to ever paint a car flat black [​IMG] he is still a great artist even if he may say some whacked out shit on tv from time to time. the way they run those shows, he might be the coolest dude you'd ever meet.

3. Those are all great.

I got 'em too, in 1975! Talk about Traditional. I can stare at "Devil with a Hammer, Hell with a Torch" all day long.

Joel [​IMG]

4. 29SX276

29SX276

Hey Fargoguy;Got my set of 4 at the '82 Nats in Minnesota.Great pictures;the "Hotrod race" I had framed and it hung in my tool crib until I retired and it will end up in the garage eventually. It is a pretty neat print!

5. Anderson

Anderson

My dad has an old copy of the roth-barris tribute. It's been hanging on the wall in the garge as long as I can remember, since I was a kid. I love that poster...

6. Don't feel bad Fargoguy - we all discover something every day that someone else knew about before. It's hard being first all the time.

Now, I just saw this neat bloodshot eyeball with wings on it, way kuwl! [​IMG]

7. Lefty

Lefty

Robert Williams is my favorite hot rod artist of all time.I heard he is an asshole,but who cares? I have quite a few of his prints. Hot Rod Race sits right over the fireplace mantel in Casa de Lefty.

I got my prints from La Imagerie Gallery. The phone number there is 818-762-8488. They are on Ventura Blvd I think. Called them up after going by one day and they were closed. The guy there sent out a full-on color catalogue. Once I ordered over the phone they got it right out.

Nothing wrong with a little McPhail on the walls either. Highway Gods resides just to the right of the Williams prints.

8. Donzie

Donzie

Great score.
    I've had this one since the '70s. I bought it at the Nats North in Detroit (am I dating myself? [​IMG]).

Attached Files:

9. I also have all 4 laminated in poster size. There is a guy that sells posters and stuff at a local auto show here every year that has a Bob Williams print that is a tribute to the tri-five Chevys that he won't sell. Never seen it anywhere else either. I think next time I see him I'll bring a gun!!!-MIKE [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mutt

Mutt

I think Mr. Williams' comment was taken out of context on that show. However, he HAS been driving "rat rods" all of his life, and he's not a phoney who has jumped on the bandwagon - he's a hotrodder.

11. Mutt

Mutt

12. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

didn't mean to infer that he was fake, just thought that it was funny. like i said, i dig his work. i am pretty humbled over his history with roth and how far back he really goes. i'd like redirect my previous statement towards the editors of that show then...

13. Cword

Cword

Also available in Vinyl
    [​IMG]

14. lownslow

lownslow

yes is was that SHOW made him look like an ass......he is one of the coolest guys you could ever meet .......the only people who put him down and try to say he is an asshole don't know him . ..i do ...and i can tell you that comment he made was takin out of context ....he is a hugely supportive guy with NO ego .....and he has amazing stories .....

congrats on the prints . do some searches on the internet to find out out more about hime and to see more of his work .....he is the real deal .....and a regular joe .........

15. plmczy

plmczy

Can you still get these posters? If so where can you get them from? I seen one down at Carlisle that was called a Tribute to customizers or builders, I can't recall which it was. The guy also had the hotrod race, that's a cool one. later plmczy

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I saw that show and if you listen to everything he says, he's obviously taking the piss. Anyone with any books on hotrod history will know that.
    Anyway, whether he's an ass or not, he's an incredible artist that truly understands the hobby.

17. Having never met Robert Williams,I can't comment on whether he is a,"Large Rectal Aneurism" or not,but I do know that he is a tremendous artist and for that I have the utmost respect.Seems to me a lot of people used to think that Kenneth Howard exhibited those very same properties only to a much larger extent.Just my twopence.

18. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I think Robt. Williams is the T&A-my fave artist. I have a couple of his coffee table collections in my comix box...

19. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Robert Williams I kick ass. I'm actually tatin' my right sleeve is bits and pieces from his many crazy ass drawing.

20. I`m willing to trade 10 prints of my work with anyone who can come up with a copy of williams` print `tribute to the flathead`...I cant find it anywhere over here

monkey

21. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Surf monkey,Pete and jakes sells that one.I think its on their website, its cheap too,I think like 5 or 10 bucks.Hope this helps,Louie

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Anyone remamber the poster called Leadsleds with all the famous West Coast cars

23. k9racer

k9racer

I got my copy a long time ago in the late 70s or very early 80s at the street rod nationals in columbus Ohio they were in the goody bags they gave to registered cars. One last thing his wife who does not use the name williams is a very good artist doing abstract work along with other things. I am not sure but both worked on some far out comics that were popular with a off beat culture in about mid 70 to early 80.

24. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

Hey K9, you are partially right about robt.'s wife. she is a really interesting
    abstract artist and her name is suzanne williams. She also drives a chopped (duece?) sedan.
    Also while we are on the subject of robt. williams, is anybody here a fan of JUXTAPOZ?? he is the head honcho, "lowbrow" art stuff and a good part of it (but not the majority) has some automotive reference. good stuff.

25. Samantha

Samantha

[ QUOTE ]
    Great score.
    I've had this one since the '70s. I bought it at the Nats North in Detroit (am I dating myself? [​IMG]).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had "Hot Rod Race" hanging in my kitchen for 15 years...bought it in the 80's sometime. Geez...I am OLD! haha

26. DRD57

DRD57

He was selling them himself at the Primer Nats last Saturday. I shot the shit with him for a while about 32 roadster details. He's OK by be.

27. Plowboy

Plowboy

I got all of mine at Goodguys Indy for 10 bucks a piece, in '93. I think the ones you can get from the galleries are smaller and are on the shiny paper. I have "deuces wild" and "devil with a hammer" in my office here at work.