Register now to get rid of these ads!

Robert Ruiz's blown 392 1st run at Antique Nationals 2009- Video Coverage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sherrys55caddy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

First time out on the track after finishing the "Royal Hawaiian" A 60s show rod inspired flip top-powered by a blown 57' 392 with dual quads.
    16 month home build right out of our crowded 2 car garage in Hesperia California! Here's how our day went.

Stayed up way to late the night before having fun @ Berdoo Johns and were up early..A short caravan ride with Johns model A sedan to the donut shop and off to the speedway got there about 9:30 AM

After some short glances from tech and some head scratches we passed, Robert was put in bracket 3 because he had no idea what this car would do. Pulled into the pits and were greeted with a nice parking spot in front of Shifters Axle's canopy along with some chairs and shade! We were all feeling a Lil under the weather from the night before, but were able to shake it off with all the excitement on Robert's first run.

On the first run he ran a 12.96 @ 96.5 MPH. At top end he couldn't manage to get it into 3rd gear(3 speed Saginaw) return to pits and you could smelt the clutch.. Many thought he let off on it..Not the case!

2ND pass- Moved up to bracket 1.Ran 13.06 @ 96 mph Got it into third this time however not getting enough fuel and was starving at out at top end. Needed to let out some tire pressure..Was at 32psi oops! Need to get fuel regulator adjusted and fuel pressure gage put on motor. Can smell the clutch even more.

3rd pass
    Did a sweet burnout and lost the clutch..rated for 550hp..Didn't hold up.

After trying to adjust the clutch in and out..nothing it was toast. Could see blue hot spots on fly wheel. Got a few more head scratches from guys trying to come up with something to get us home..In the end called AAA and got towed back to Hesperia.

All in all was a pretty good day. Were not really prepared just there to have some fun. Next time be ready to dial in some real time.
    So hot rod will be outta commission for a few weeks while we update clutch and tinker with a few other things (i.e fuel regulator and gage and going to finish the radiator grill)
    While the car is out doing a off chassis dyno and tune.

We'll be up and running again soon- keep your eyes peeled and wish us luck!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. Clutched

Clutched

Fucking Rad car! sucks about the clutch..

4. michael_cini

michael_cini

thanks for the video. very nice!

5. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

I'm thinking 2010 Antique Nationals - Purple People Eater vs Royal Hawaiian !!? (Or at Dragfest '10)

I've got over 800 views on my PPE video and only 130 on this one so I thought I'd bump it off page 15 (man things move fast around here). I know this car isn't famous, yet, but the video is better... ;)

6. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

Looks like our Public Realtions department for the Royal Hawaiian is working overtime! hahaha Thanks John!
    An exibition run aganist the PPE sounds like a good time : ) We would be up for it~
    Wonder if we could run at Hot Rod Reunion?

7. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

The Clutch is on its way! We'll be back on the road real soon

8. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

Bitchin' car. And I'm glad to see that it ran as good as it did, but it needs an NHRA approved roll bar to keep running as fast as it is. If you plan on running it down the track in the future I don't think you'll be able to pass tech inspection as it is. Any open car running 13.99 or quicker is required to have a roll bar.

I think you just got lucky sliding through tech inspection this time.

9. skunx1964

skunx1964

cool vid! with the yappin in my ear i felt like i was there! :D

10. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

Good Tech-Tip Tom. I think the Antique Nats tech guys must've counted the conduit in the top as his roll bar. :rolleyes:

Sorry Sherry, you can't resume the home remodel just yet, you guys need a tubing bender now! Do you guys have a NHRA rule book?

Skunx- thanks, I staged that girl gossip at the end to make it feel more "natural"... hah hah. ;)

11. 41woodie

41woodie

Neat car and mega-fun but until I watched that video I've never really felt like I was getting old. All I could think of was the guy using his scalp as a roll cage. Spooky deal if it got crossed up.

12. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

John-The conduit comment is funny as hell!
    Ya I agree that he needs a roll bar and Robert is aware of the rule,just having a good time flying under the radar with the tech guys..They missed him racing in his socks and flip flops (ninja turtle) too!
    Doing a lil research and from what I understand, and if I'm wrong let me know. He can add one to the car that can "bolt on" to where it can be removed when not on the track...?

13. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

Speaking of bitchen Car...Tom your roadster is one of my Favs:D
    I do agree that it needs a roll bar, and have no reservations adding one as the thought of what can happen with out one..well enuff said there. This is the first time we have had a car other than the dragster (which we dont plan on updating to keep peroid correct) to take on the track. Gonna learn real quick what will work and what wont. I do appreciate all the tech info.:cool:

14. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

Robert got the clutch today and will hopefully have it back together by the weekend! UGH, the down time has sucked! cant wait!

15. VonKool13

VonKool13

It may not be famous to some but I'm in love with that 'lil hot rod!

16. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

man that thing is bitchen!!!

17. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

Thanks for the comment, I remember seeing "Live Wire" debut @ gnrs 08 and seriously needed a bib..I couldnt stop drooling over it : ):eek:
    ~Sherry

18. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

hey robert n sherry, man that thing is too cool!!!! very well done.

Ray.