Register now to get rid of these ads!

Robert Mitchum's Thunder Road Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Allah, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Pharouh

Pharouh

I've seen this movie about 20 times. One of my favorites!
    I wondered about the engines sounds too. There was one scene where Mitchum is leaving in his 57 Ford and it sounds like a stock 6 cylinder.

2. RAY With

RAY With

So much for the sound guys. Today there a little better but still screw up some times. I saw the movie many times over the years and still like viewing it.

3. olpaul

olpaul

The cool thing about Mitchum was he had a typical HAMB'er attitude about life. He was one of the best actors of his time and he couldn't care less what you thought about him. He always did what he wanted, and he didn't have a pretentious bone in his body. He was genuine cool, even about his own faults.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

One of the pest movies ever made

5. Deuces

Deuces

I'll be watching both flicks tonight... Lotz of Model A cars in the Dillinger flick.. :)
    I never seen Thunder Road before... Is it any good???

6. I remember my parents taking me to the Starlite Drive-In in Stamford to see Thunder Road. I was high for a week! Thought it was the coolest movie ever back then. Still pretty Cool.

7. JeffreyPhipps

JeffreyPhipps

Here is the 36 Ford at my shop in Ft. Lauderdale in the early 90's getting the interior done. I did the car for Roy Tranthum. After the car was finished we all went out for a catfish dinner. He was a really nice guy.
    36 Ford.jpg

8. 1955merc

1955merc
    from TN

The car that was used for the 3X2 shot is still in Asheville, NC. It is sitting in a garage rusting into the dirt. My friends brother used to drag race the car. And no he won't sell it. i've tried many times. John

9. Deuces

Deuces

Sounds like someone needs a fire lit under his ass.. :rolleyes:

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm surprised npbody has commented on the chase scene at the beginning. Mitchum rolls the Shoebox, but then drives away with no damage! Now that's real Hollywood!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUFt42urcmk

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and speaking of the "rollover" car, i'm positive it was a '50. anyone notice it throwing a wheel- and- tire? run it in slomo! and, it always bothered me that the sound of an inline was used in several scenes. but, the scene where mitchum drives up to the general store where the dance is going on--now that sounded like a healthy mill!

12. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

Yes, a 49 hood and notice the 51 trunk lid.....still a classic movie, and personally, I don't think anybody could have sung it better than Robert Mitchem !

13. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

I was wondering if anyone would mention the 6 cyl pipes used in the sound track. I was a little kid first time I saw that movie @ the Beaver Theater in Beaverton OR, I was about 13 maybe. Sure was impressed with 57 Phords after that, took years before I learned what a cruel joke it can be trying to make Y-blocks fast compared to same size small block Chevies. In 1970 I was living in Milwaukee by then, had a twin to the movie 57 that 'Luke' crashed into the substation, maybe 300 bucks into it, had a 270hp 312 twin teapot carb intake WITH the aircleaner mind you, fordomatic and 4.56, it was still a slug compared to the shit that was on the street then, sold it to see it gone, not one of my brightest moves.

Old wolf likes this.
  14. towrecker

towrecker

just to set the record straight , and it is for sure correct , there were 3 so called 50 fords in this movie , this movie was also shot in an order that if you actually watched this movie in that order one would be very lost , anyways there was a 1950 flathead 6 car , a 1950 flathead v8 car , and a heavily modified 51 with a 49 hood and a 50 grille , the front frame is reinforced with railroad track , and it has 1 ton truck springs on the rear along with dual shocks , the fuel tank is indeed under the front seat and rear seat floor , it's about 2 inches thick and holds in the upper 20's of gallons of gas , the filler is right at the front edge of the seat on the passenger side , the moonshine tank holds brimming to the top 241 gallons it is the back seat , the back seat is actually just like a padded cover , the engine is a 312 y block with for sure 3 holley 94's too by the way , the engine pic that everyone tries to say is of another car , is of this same car , but with air cleaners removed , and the reason I actually know this is the fact my grandfather worked in the production of the movie driving one of the camera trucks , and bought this car after shooting was finished for $25 ...it is still around , looks like a 20+ year old car that has had moderate use , presentable , but by no means perfect , but really nice for the age and abuse it has seen in it's life , the car was at 2 events in 2008 the funny thing was it went unnoticed due to the fact of it's color , it was not white , grey ,or the fifties light green color it was sprayed with to change it's appearance , it's was a very light baby blue color that it is still today but a 20 year old paint job now ,and before anyone says it , it's not for show , or sale , it will stay under wraps due to my grandfathers wishes that I will keep , my best memories were how he would rub the car in peoples faces and they had no clue of what it really was ...I can and will provide any info anyone wants to make a clone ...and you thought they blew it up , that was actually the one they rolled at the beginning of the movie re painted also the damage was to the passenger side of the car from that , and you can't see it in that scene of the movie ! also in that scene notice the winch cable of a tow truck that flips the car at the gas pump , grandpa said that was an actual station even their employee paid for that scene , and their tow truck that flips the car , I have typed a book , but one thing from the movie that if you have not noticed I will point out so you can find it , when luke
    goes to the "speed shop" where he jumps out the window , notice what his car is parked in front of lol he is supposed to be in memphis , the window says "asheville pharmacy " most miss that one ...

catdad49 likes this.
  15. ...See my previous post. My first eye exam as a kid was on that street in Asheville. I lived in East Tn. near Newport and went there to see a lady opthalmologist named Dr. Weisenblott.:).....Note post #43 in this thread.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  16. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Cool info Towrecker, by all means keep grand pop's wishes, but could you post any pics? Maybe from a show it was at... Love to see what it looks like in color.

17. towrecker

towrecker

If you look for the pictures of the Knoxville celebration the car is very easy to spot , just parked there like a spectator , to my knowledge the car has never been entered into a show , just parked in the parking lot lol ...I was going to add you a picture , but it seems their is not any on this computer (upgraded in feb) I will put one up , if all else I can open the garage door and snap one when I get home ...

18. towrecker

towrecker

ever tried to recreate those old pabst bottles , it proves hard but red stripe beer and a steam kettle to get some pabst labels off , you get the point , I recreated that cabin scene of the movie , the cabin is still there , just for kicks look up " the log cabin motor court weaverville Nc. ) #20 is that cabin , and #19 was mitchum's cabin for almost all of the filming of the movie ...

19. towrecker

towrecker

I stand corrected !! somehow I think I missed a page , you caught it lol but few people do , just like the bumper snatch where the fed said his back plate was hanging on their car , not possible with those fords lol

20. Jlz52204

Jlz52204
    from Ohio

What website are these pictures at? I looked all over for them

21. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Did you take a picture of your re-enactment ? Video ??

22. benman3

benman3

The '51 Ford went along with the Mitchum's when they returned to California after filming Thunder Road. Jim actually drove the car to high school for a short time then it was sold.

23. k9racer

k9racer

Jim Mitchem had a car at the Dawsonville Ga. Moonshine festival in 2010.. I dont know if its a recreation or not.. He had a nice display from the movie with the car. Lots of folks gave him some mason jars. Yes they were filled..

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you read back in this thread the original car is in CA owned by a friend of mine.
    He is currently restoring it.

25. Deuces

Deuces

The movie will be on again this Thursday night on "THIS" tv channel... Check your local listings!!...;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Just a reminder..... ^^^^^

27. Barn1957

Barn1957

Can anybody answer this question, about the song thunder road "On the first of April, nineteen fifty-four" but some the cars & film were 1957 & the film was 1958?
    Thanks
    Barn1957

28. Bounder

Bounder

Great movie Love it.

29. Dogfish_7

Dogfish_7

Hey! Anyone know what the liscence plate number was on the car??