Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Rob gone from Rod & Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddon, Jan 31, 2014.

1. There was a shake up at Source Interlink today and Rob Fortier is no longer with Rod & Custom. It looks like Kev Elliot will be the main guy.

Also Eric Giesert is gone from Street Rodder.

On top of that Jeff Smith, the Tech editor at CAR CRAFT is gone - he had been there something like 38 years! That seems like a HUGE mistake to me.

Apparently a bunch of "Behind the Scenes" type folks were cut as well.

I guess it's a bit of a sign of the state of Print Media .......

2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car Craft is one of my favorites strictly for the tech. Sounds like a huge gamble. Don, I agree "gamble" and "mistake" can be synonyms in this case.

3. skoh73

skoh73

I just re-upped with R&C for 2 more years. I hope it stays the same. Shame that those fellas got dumped, I liked them a lot. Big mistake as far as I'm concerned.

4. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Jeff Smith gone? If Gray B.were still alive, they would fire him, too

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

haven't bought a magazine in years...internet is better, and more money for car parts.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

change for the sake of change not good. hope that there is a slot somewhere for all of them to fit into to help keep all of us informed and educated.

7. Squablow

Squablow

For those HAMBers born after 1985 who might not be familiar with the term, a "magazine" is like the internet made out of a tree.

willbe and scarylarry like this.
  8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Same here! I got a subscription to Popular Hotrodding for Christmas, and it reminded me why I haven't purchased any car mags for years! What a rag!

9. shoeboxdoc

shoeboxdoc
    from OKC

I'm sad to hear about this. Looks like a very close friend was affected by this.
    Kev Elliott is a good guy though.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What ever the reason those fellows were "let go" they all have enough talent and drive to land on their feet and in all likelihood in better positions with better pay. I'm betting we've not seen or heard the last from them.

Frank

11. That's quite a shake-up. Hopefully, they will all find work soon. Rob and Eric have been around awhile, but the Jeff Smith firing is a real shock to me. He has been the face of Car Craft for a long, long time.

Since the big corporations bought up the magazine industry back in the '80s and then broke them up and watered down the rest, it has never been the same. David Freiberger has really tried hard to pump life back into Hot Rod, and I can't even imagine how much resistance he gets from the corporate office.

12. draider

draider
    from Texas

You owe me a new keyboard. :D

13. slammed

slammed

They did poop on B'ville in his later day's treatment. Smith put up numbers AND drives his stuff.

14. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

+ 1 on Kev Elliot..
    Great guy...he is the real deal !
    Dave

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I just buy it for the pictures. seems like all they do is build things with sponsors products and work on their own cars. I buy it out of habit more than anything else.

can't wait to see how they screw it up even further.:(

16. Can't believe Jeff Smith was let go, I don't know who they will get to do a better job as tech editor !

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

All bad news. Being recently in the same boat I can 100% relate. Creative jobs are always seen as expendable.

Print will die faster if it kills itself.

Online it is I guess www.dirtyhero.com

18. I like what Rob Fortier had done to R&C, it will be interesting to see what happens. It does seem way cheaper and thin than in years past

19. My subscription just ran out, (Rod and Custom) when I compared there fantastic renewal offer it was more than a new subscription. They certainly don't look after their customers and did not reply to my email regarding this. Needless to say I won't be renewing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  20. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Bought my first Car Craft mag in 69'..started subscribing in 1970 and continued till around 81'. Have a "Honk" magazine in the bookshelf.. A bunch of good people over the years so I guess they (Mgmt) feel it will go on..

21. Master of None

Master of None

I do still like hard print...something about the feel of the pages. Sad to see them go.

22. fatkoop

fatkoop

I'm going to use that quote from time to time if you don't mind.:D

23. ABARTH

ABARTH

looks like there were 50 or so people axed out of their LA offices (where Hot Rod is produced) and another 20 in Irvine, where R&C and SR were done. Fortier had 20 years in, Geisert had 24 or close to it. heard it was "your position has been eliminated" kind of thing

24. Every year or so I buy some car mag just to see if I'm missing anything. Most of what I see is the same shit that they printed in the 70s!' If you buy so and so's double whammy dingdong and bolt it on to your mamas wheezer, you can be in the "10s". Yeah right! Out of all the names mentioned here so far, I am familiar with one and he's been gone for some time now. I'm sorry anytime people lose jobs, been there, done that , not fun, but times change, print media might not die, but it is already getting mighty pale and shaky.

25. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

the only reason i still get my car rags is cause my wife wont let me take the lap top in for a poop.

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm probably like most of you, I grew up hanging out at the news stand, waiting for the latest issue of Hot Rod, R and C, etc to show up. Then in the 80's magazines got goofy with cars I couldn't relate to, so I stopped buying them. They seem to be getting back to their roots a little more now, but print media of all kinds is in trouble. If I buy one magazine a year now that is a lot. (and they ain't a quarter any more either ! :eek:)

Don

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I get them because the subscriptions are dirt cheap (Car Craft-3 years for $15) and they still have some good stuff from time to time. I'll always like books and magazines over the internet.

28. RF is one of the good guys fighting OUR fight. Sad to see this. The bean counters are doing their best to kill print!

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That's sad news!! I'm only 27 but Jeff smith IS car craft to guys my age. Wtf will that magazine become now? Rob was great for R&C IMHO, I'm sad to see him go. I'll remain optimistic it doesn't turn into 100 pages of ads and 10 pages of advertiser sponsored parts reviews like street rodder...

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Pretty sure ALL jobs in the magazine industry are coming to the chopping block.

I stopped buying magazines years ago. Print is dead to me. Honestly, I'm amazed that assholes are still dropping off the Yellow Pages to my house. Goes directly into the garbage.

I have an iPad, I can and have replied to messages on the HAMB while pooping. Was this one of them? Only I will know for sure... :D