Register now to get rid of these ads!

roadster windshield problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aviator, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Aviator

Aviator

Wind pivots 31 roadster windshield back toward driver. How do you avoid this problem? What techniques do you use?

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Tell your crew chief. Just kidding, not sure your description of the issue is enough? Got any pictures?

3. Tighten it down more.

You are talking about the top half of the windshield?

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you are meaning it pivots back at the base of the stantion, there are some tabs down there that hit and keep that from happening. I remember that because my Son ground his out a little more so it would allow the windshield to lay back more than stock.

Don

5. I made 2 stops out of SS flat sheet, that I bolted to inside of post near bottom. These stopped the bottom on windshield from blowing in at bottom while at speed. I think that the fit wasn't very good on my roadster, maybe a good seal at the bottom of windshield to top of cowl would have prevented it.

6. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

You have the upper posts on backwards. The little "points" should nest into the notches on the base stanchions. Guys try to run'em backward to lean the windshield back but the wind will knock it down no matter how tight you crank the wing nuts.

I had a friend machine and reweld the pockets deeper to get the slant I wanted.

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Here's the answer. If you don't have those notches, someone before you ground them.

8. Aviator

Aviator

Thanks for the ideas. Will check the stanchions for proper mounting. Will also check for missing points and/or tabs or fabricate stops on the frame bottom. For kwoodyh, my crewchief said use 100 MPH tape from the tail rotor. I'm retired Army also.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

On my roadster the stantions did not move but the frame blew in while the stantions stayed put. A small clip at the bottom either into the cowl or into the lower posts will stop the frame from moving past a certain point. It does not need to be anything big. I think originally the weather stripping was suppose to stop the frame but at higher speeds it might not be enough and it comes on in past the weather stripping.

10. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I put a couple Tack welds on the lower stanchion to act as stops. Works good cleaned them up well and no-one will even notice.