Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods roadster steering box help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oneilfab, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

I'm building a 31 model A roadster sitting on a 32 frame and I'm looking for a steering box that I can use. I want to mount the box on the inside of the frame and have the shaft go through the frame, I also want the pitman arm to go up and I want the tie rod to push/pull on the upper drivers side spindle. does anyone know of a box that I can use??? any help would be greatly appreciated
    [​IMG]

2. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

if you want to check out the rest of the build, the thread name is.. My 392 Hemi Model A roadster build

3. bantam

bantam

4. You can use an early Mustang but it mounts under the frame but the pitman arm does go up. Bracket is available at Pete and Jakes

5. Oneilfab

Oneilfab

what years will work?

6. john walker

john walker

split window VW bus on mine. trim down the stock clamp and you can mount that on the inside too. allows the column to sit at any angle. the stock turn signal switch is small and looks good too. the top is tapered and keyed and fits a '32 banjo wheel perfectly.

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Your build deserves a vintage steering box. If you could find a Ross like I put in my roadster I think it would work for you. SANY0001.jpg DSCN4024.jpg

8. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I know guys use them, but a VW has all the weight in the rear and seems like a pretty light box to put under the business end of a hemi. Mustang seems like a better choice.

9. bantam

bantam

Mustang years to use.....see this pic. Use the short shaft.

Attached Files:

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If that's your car above, don't use a mustang box. Go with a 37-48 Ford box. Flip it 90 deg. And build a bracket or even weld on a flange similar to an F1 box.

11. F-head

F-head

do what kevin lee said
    37 to 48 boxes are cheap and plentiful, easy to rebuild and turned on its side the pittman arm will go up instead of down to make it steer the right direction,also the front of a 48 ford is no lightweight so its pretty beefy
    hey John i want to see that 32 banjo wheel you mentioned

12. Find a good late '30's thru '48 Ford box,your car has a period a box from that era would be the way to go.. HRP