Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster Rebuild update #2. -for those that care

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE47, Jan 9, 2008.

1. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

There are 2 previous threads in this build series. I have no idea how to do links so if you want to check them out search for them through my user name.

Alright another week and this is where I got to. Not the most productive build ever but it's moving along well, I think.

I got the spring spread out to it's proper point and made-up a set of hangers. I used .120 wall 1"od tubing for the shackle part and 1/4" plate steel for the brackets. Made a set of gussets for the back side to insure they stay put. Spring is from Posies. It's a 40-style and will give me 3" of travel how it's installed. I figured it may bottom out over real big bumps, we'll see soon enough. Still got to be better than before. I chose to go over the rear so I'd have room in the way rear for the gas tank (Pinto-style? Boom? haha) and still be able to box in a small trunk area so I can at least carry a tool box and a jacket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear x-member is made from 1/8 plate steel. It'll get all welded up and smoothed like I did with the rails in the first post.
    [​IMG]

Made a set of horns from 1/8" plate first cut out the sides. Then made the top abd bottom and pulled them all together. Need a bit of work where the top and bottom meet but they'll be ok in the end. Will also be smoothed out to be seemless with the rails. You can see where they are boxed in. I did that to be able to weld in a set of tabs to sit my radiator on. I will put a bolt on each side and use conventional rad. support bars up top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am using a reversed corvair steering box. Thanks to Clark and Hotrodman2000 for the mounting info on this subject. This will give me a nice amount of foot room under the column and allow me to retain my swing pedals. The mount is a piece of 2x3"- 1/8" wall box that I trimmed to fit the box at a nice angle and to correct the pitman shaft angle. The plate is 3/16" and is welded all the way around. There is just enough room to allow acces to all the bolts. I made the mount go all the way down to the bottom of the frame rail for maximum support. Pitman arn shown is a shorter than stock version. I may need to go with a stock one to help with Bump steer but this will be close I think.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an overall front end shot. I haven't decided if I'm gonna shorten the shell yet. I may try it this way. Rad is high enough to not get ripped-off but it may bend the shell back. I'll decide later. Top of the rad cap and top of the fuel cap on the cowl are even.
    [​IMG]

One more front/side shot. I like the way the rad. is out in front and looking tall.
    [​IMG]

another update after I solve my rear axle/ladder bar geometry problem. See ya next week?

2. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Mike,
    That puppy is lookin real good. I'm looking forward to next up-date.

Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '39 Plymouth Business Coupe, Dodge powered
    '46 plymouth Business Coupe, Dodge powered
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. rab71

rab71

Are the rear shackles welded so they don't move? It looked like they were?

4. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks Dave, you'll have to stop buy and check it out.

rab71, the shackles are just how they should be, they swing. The welds you speak of are the bolts welded to the shackle plates?

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

6. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks for the links. I have to figure out how to do that. It prob easy, right?

7. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Mike the car looks good.Lookin forward for the next updates.Joe

8. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

This build is awesome.
    Any more updates?

Norton

9. On your rear shackle mounts, the tube the bolt holding the shackle goes through, I think it should have a gusset right under it, as well.

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MR Mike...it's looking sweet. And that steering box....nice..

11. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks hot rod man.

Richard, the gusset is on the back of that bracket. If it were under the spring travel would be limited. It's all made from 1/4" plate and TIG welded. I really doubt it'll pull out of the tube.

12. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Mike,I guess no more rat rod when youre done?Really its lookin good.Joe

13. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

real nice, what are you using for a seat?

14. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

What's a seat? HAHA. Been using boat seats up till now. I'd like to make a tube frame and have an actual seat eventually. Looks like the floors and seats are gonna be next winter's project. I'll just be happy to get it drivable by spring. I've been pretty busy at my shop with customer stuff and I've agreed to help a friend in his place doing some restoration work on muscle cars for an upcoming auction. All that and I help yet another friend with drag car chassis work so getting my stuff done takes a while. I am hoping to get some work done on it this weekend and post another update soon.

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Pretty cool, keep us posted!

because I care....

16. Any more on this car? I dig it

17. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

do an advanced search using my user name and "roadster rebuild" and you will find all the posts. There is also a gallery in my user profile.

Building has been slow as I had been working out of my home shop for the last 4 years to make a living so my car got put off to a storage unit as I got busier. Then the wife and I had a baby this year and I moved the shop into a new place so time and money are not flowing to that car right now. Hopefully I can get the home garage straightened out enough to have more room to work on it soon.