Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster Rebuild Update #1- Front end/Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE47, Jan 2, 2008.

1. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

So here's a New Year's day update for those of you following along. I was unsure if I should continue the thread or post a new one so I'll do it this way.

Kind of slow this week. I needed to do a few other quick jobs to pay the bills but still got something done.

Put the front end together this week. It's a Posie's super low- super slider spring. I splurged for new perch bolts and hardware. Also gonna use tube shocks. That will be an improvment over my previous "invisible shocks". They really didn't work too well anyway. HAHA. Using the lower mounts, also from Posie's as well as their upper mounts, the ones with the h.lamp mounts on them. I will show that in a later update. The axle is a Model A that was dropped by Jordan Graham (5WBOMBER here on the hamb). He has done a few for me now and they are always top quality and he does them asap. Thanks Jordan. Bones are 35 Ford with the fronts cut off. I am using round back Ford spindles and a set of 40 juice brakes. These are being recycled from the previous build. Front tires are 5.90 15s. I will use my original Ford wheels with these tires, not the new wheels. I borrowed these from another car for mock-up.
    [​IMG]

As you can see in this pic. the bones were way too long so out comes the saw!!
    [​IMG]

After some measureing and trimming and some effort to recycle the end bungs here they are tacked up. Before final welding I will do a bit of the old slice and dice to get the lower part of the bone to flow to the bung better.
    [​IMG]

Here are the bone mounts. I bandsawed a couple pieces of 5/8 thick plate to get them to tuck up tight to the frame rail. I put a 1/2 drill through them then taper reamed them to accept the tie-rod ends. Polished the edges a bit and on they go. Tacked, final welding later.
    [​IMG]

I am doing minimal work to the body on this car as I love it as is. It is really a barn-find. It was an old drag car in the 60's and I want to leave that feel right now. Plus it is just outer panels welded together so it would be a lot of work to get it right. Maybe next winter, probably never. I love the rough weathered red paint. All that combined with it being very light make me happy. Lighter = faster !! And love to put the pedal down and do burn-outs and donuts and drag-race so it's perfect!

Here are a couple shots of the front body mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for today, now I gotta get out in the shop and work on that rear axle, spring, r. x-member and rear frame kick so I can get it to roll.

Happy New Year to all you crazy Hambers!! Go work on your cars!!!!

2. Noland

Noland

looking good,looking good

3. Rusty

Rusty

Keep it up, looking good, love the changes

Rusty

4. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Keep it commin' i love it!
    FRITZ

5. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Noland, Your car build is also lookin' good. I just found the thread today. Still in High School? Good taste kid.

Thanks again for following along. It'll provoke me to do more work. Just finished dinner, going back to work on the rear x-member tonight. Only a few days 'till update #2 is due.

6. Noland

Noland

Thanks just building the car that Ive always wanted,looks like your doing the same.

7. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

Hey look!!!! the paint on that axle is from the gallon that painted my car!!!!!! cool mike, looks damn good!!! ill get your other axle back to you when it gets here... -jordan

8. moses

moses

soon you will be driving it loogink good. jeffrey

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your doing a great job brother !