Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Roadster Pickup........picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Dec 27, 2008.

1. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Rocker. I have a diamond block in mine also . The one I posted on page 33 . Are you going to put fenders back on or leave them off?

ROCKER77 likes this.
  2. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

No fenders for this one gotta lose all the weight it can so I can go really fast...

Jet96, brad2v and roadstar like this.
  3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I certainly didn't intend to offend anybody. In my view, Grabowski and Ivo defined the abbreviated T rpu form, and any T truck that resembles them qualifies as a fad T. The car in the picture is a T roadster with an abbreviated bed, so I used the language most familiar to me.

Is the truck yours? I'd still like to see it with the panels closed up.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No that roadster pickup isn't mine, I wouldn't mind if it was.

However, you are wrong in your thinking and your assumption on what a Fad T is.

Early builds like Grabowski and Ivo and others who used the abbreviated pickup beds built classic T based hot rods, not Fad Ts.

Any hot rod truck RPU that resembles them does NOT qualify as a Fad T

The stupid looking Fad T thing with all the unnecessary extra crap came along later and were caricatures of what a classic hot rod was and should be.
    Things like tall tall windshields and tops along with huge blowers on top of the engine and motorcycle wheels on the front with no brakes ,steam roller rear tires and brass lamps and angel fuzz , garish paint...etc....

A T based hot rod RPU with a short bed is not a Fad T.
    If you want to educate yourself, go here :

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-bucket-of-ugly-a-de-uglifying-thread.824491/

There's lots of talk and discussion on what a classic T hot rod is all about.
    Read enjoy and educate yourself. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    brEad, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  5. Distracted

Distracted

6. There's a good start.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, no. That wouldn't be bitching. You are simply informing people who may be dumbasses. In fact, those kinds of people need to be bitched at. I know. I am a psychologist.

8. Mikel50 likes this.
  9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You're pretty argumentative about this kind of stuff, aren't you? I don't need much education on the subject; I first saw the Grabowski and Ivo cars when they were new, and you were still in diapers.

No, those cars were not Fad T's, because they invented the style. And they were hardly classics; how could they be when they were the first of their kind? They certainly started a trend, and so many people copied them that the "Fad" term was coined to describe those imitators. If you prefer, I could call them "copycat T's". While I don't understand why you are indignant about the use of the Fad T description, I repeat that I didn't intend to insult anybody.

As far as classic T hot rods are concerned, this was mine. IMO it's a whole lot closer to a classic than any short-bed pickup:
    !1100lowBc.jpg
    While we're giving advice, I suggest that you might exercise more caution before saying that someone else is wrong for having a different interpretation of "Fad T" than your OPINION.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Thumbs up 50Fraud!

rod1, 05snopro440, 97 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice little roadster, I love it.
    Would it have been any less nice with a small bed on the back instead of the little turtle deck ? Or even nothing but a fuel tank modified style ?
    Or any less fun ?

The cars built in that style are classic hot rods even if they are fitted with a short bed.

Argumentative ? Me ? No, opinionated maybe , but aren't we all ?

My definition of Fad T isn't only my own.
    And definitely isn't just my opinion.

The term never really came around till the numerous kit car companies jumped on the bandwagon and they were selling them to everyone who wanted one.
    They became a Fad and the styles were perverted and exaggerated.

When I think Fad T's I think of these ugly caricatures.

6789169758_4ccfde5bab_b.jpg FadT.jpg Terry-Brown-T-Bucket-Fad-T-1.jpg

So, in the end I don't care when you quit wearing diapers, all that means is that you may be closer than I am to getting back into them :D

I still think my definition of a Fad T is more accurate.

All in all it doesn't make a big difference anyway, I'm passionate about what I like, and don't like.
    As long as we're having fun that's all that matters isn't it?

I bet there are times you wish you still owned the little roadster, I bet it was a fun car.
    Larry.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

In the early '50s I saw a small number of roadsters on the street that were clearly derived from the look of track roadsters. I decided a looong time ago that the track roadster style was what I liked best, especially the pre-'26 turtledeck style.
    !730Lo.JPG
    Unfortunately I didn't get mine until I was pushing 70. If I had bought the car at 30 or 40, I think it might have been a better pairing. At 70, if I drove it hard, it scared the shit out of me. Fun, absolutely, but scary fun.

I certainly agree with you that the circus wagons you posted are a terrible corruption of the earlier Normie/Tommy style. I'd still like to see that Shadow Rods thing with all the panels closed -- looks like it's a pretty nice, understated car.

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

I hope my project turns out half as nice as these. I started out with a rather rusty 1924 dodge roadster cowl, handmade the doors. used the back of a 28 chevy sedans for the rear, model a bed, and a 29 chevy frame. It will be full fendered using the parts from the 28 chevy gathering parts for now. IMG_20170205_141615.jpg

05snopro440, Lil'Alb, brEad and 6 others like this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm in agreement with you on that.
    I'm trying to get my project done before I'll be too scared to drive it ;)
    I'd like to get some fun out of it. :cool:

15. I'm glad we got that settled, sort of. Can we get back to RPU's now?

16. Yes, as that is what, this thread is all about!

I susspect, this is the afformantioned Salt Scorcher, found on Instagram:
    [​IMG]

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

Lil'Alb, pecker head, 97 and 8 others like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-11_5-54-12.png upload_2017-3-11_5-54-25.png
    upload_2017-3-11_5-54-47.png upload_2017-3-11_5-55-2.png
    upload_2017-3-11_5-55-21.png
    Hello,
    Nick Macaluso from Goleta, CA has bevy of custom hot rods in his arsenal. This RPU was a prime example of the quality of the builds from Nick, Project Design, and Big Hearted Ken near the airport in Goleta. The style, look, accessories are all timeless, as it could fit in any year build or time period of hot rod history from the late 50’s to the early 70’s. The 301 SBC sounded ready for the races, but it was a very cool ride on the streets.

Jnaki (the title caption is not my spelling...)

While on this photo shoot, the weather was beautiful, the atmosphere was lush, and all this time I was thinking that I really like this RPU. It had everything that I would have put on any RPU build.

Other than that red RPU that some “HS kid” had on the cover of HRM back in 1962, this is the one other roadster pickup I would like to own. We would have driven the daylights out of it, cruising up/down the Pacific coastline. Besides, this was also one of my wife’s favorite hot rods and we all know women can’t be wrong…Ha!
    upload_2017-3-11_5-56-52.png
    (Other builds from prior threads for Nick Macaluso: 40-41 Ford Sedan Delivery thread)
    upload_2017-3-11_5-58-2.png
    upload_2017-3-11_5-58-20.png

18. FB_IMG_1489245124453.jpg

I got a Hot rod Ford and two dollars bill!

19. brad2v

brad2v

I'd sure like to see more pics of this one. Very much along the lines of my intended direction for the pile of parts in my driveway

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  20. brad2v

brad2v

Big fan of this one as a kid as well. In 1/24 scale at the time. The Monogram "early iron" series version HAD to have been based on this truck

21. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Hey Brad,
    This one? It certainly looks like the same truck. Those Monogram designers must have been scouring the car mags for new ideas. It was a beautiful RPU and it sounded quite nice.
    Jnaki
    I am still looking for other color/b&w photos of this RPU in my files. Most of those car files were lost in the many house moves, but a couple of boxes of color slides stayed in an obscure storage box full of 60's memorabilia.

22. brad2v

brad2v

That'd be the one. I've got an unbuilt one on the shelf right now. I'd love to see more pics of it

23. I built one of those. ;)
    [​IMG]

24. Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    brad2v, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  25. brad2v

brad2v

Great, thanks. Now that I see it, I'm pretty sure I had read that thread, but the pile of parts for aforementioned project was a fairly new arrival at my house at that point, so I had no intended direction at that point.

Dannerr likes this.
  26. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

27. Looking forward to when mine is back together. JW
    [​IMG]

28. Blake 27

Blake 27

29. Love the green 28/9 and the black one belongs to a mate here in NZ, the car lives State side. JW

loudbang likes this.
  30. The two red ones are cool. ;)
    The gray one ain't right.

Jet96, brad2v, verde742 and 1 other person like this.