Register now to get rid of these ads!

roadster build by the Hart Family

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Aug 12, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

well...it took awhile for i just traded for some quarter panels this afternoon. they are 30 something chevy roadster or coupe quarter panels. my plans are to use them as.....roadster panels.

i have several choices for a cowl. 28-29 ford i have 2-3 and then ive got atleast one 30-31 ford cowl. im leaning more towards a 28-29 cowl since they have no body line. easyier to match up all the mitch match parts that is going into this build.

for the doors ive got two options.....ive got some sedan doors that are SOLID but someone cut the tops off.
    the second choice is just make some from scratch....simple 1x1 tubing and sheetmetal. no body lines.

the qaurter panels that ive got have a real small single body line. about 3/4 inch wide. the quarters are also SOLID. very pleased with them.

would love input because this is my first roadster build...

i would like to build something along the lines of this.....

[​IMG]

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

well. got the roadster home today. buy she is rough dog. the cowl is 31 ford, the doors are 31 ford, and the rear half is 31 chevy.....be warned this might not be hamb friendly. if not im sorry. what im building is not a rat rod. its not a modern. im going to try and build a traditional...lets say like someone would do back in the day with all their leftover parts.

the cowl itself has seen better days. gas tank is good and i plan on using it. the passanger sid ecowl is missing the entire panel and body line. so....im thinking about doing away with the body line all together on the cowl and make a smoothy cowl. then since the top visor area and passanger post are toasty im going to chop those off completely and adapt some 28-29 roadster shanks on it.

the doors are super solid and someone sometime already cut the tops off them.

the rear quarters have nice body lines and such. plan on installing rumble seat with louvers.

the chassis i do not have yet. i can not make my mind up on the front end. i like two.... suicide front axle and buggie style. i do however have a friends chassis at my place right now im working on....its the buggie style. so im scopping it out...trying to make my mind up.

i would like to run original style 32 spoke wheels and tires. but juice brakes. not sure on what to use on power. been looking for a 4banger but no luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

begun the morning bracing the body up. squaring everything off the cowl numorous times.

next...remove a little rust and weld in permanant floor bracing.

then cut the tacks off the doors and hinge them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bjinatj

bjinatj

Looks like a pretty good start buddy! I would shave the top 2" inches off the doors and rebuild without the window lines. Can't wait to see more..

-Ronnie

5. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

that was my plans exactly. cut the top off the doors to make them look like roadster doors. then make the rear quarters slightly rise up in the rear.

6. bjinatj

bjinatj

Sounds like a plan..

7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

fooled around with the body a little today between rain showers.

made the subframe from 1/8th inch galvinize metal. the subframe is actually bigger than what it should be because its serving a dual purpose. its also going to be the bottom bodyline from the entire body. had a nice radius edge from being bent and it was close enough to an original body line. u can see some in the photos.

before any comments are made.... im not building an exact 1931 ford roadster. i will be building a tribute 31 roadster i guess you could say since so much will vary from henry Fords original design. plus everything im doing is be on a super down low budget.

for an example all the subfloor and metal you see bracing the body up...FREE. all the stainless steel sheetmetal paid scrap price in weight for. so ive got it as cheap as i possibly can. the end result should leave me breathless and everyone who sees it. in my eyes....it hasnt got far to go...others would say i wouldnt be able to get it on the road for 5+yrs.

my biggest roadblock right now....finding the PERFECT engine and trans. right now im talking to a fella about a 4banger from a 1928 sedan with standard transmission. i hope we can work something out

the first photo is of the rear deck area. i started forming the upper sheetmetal. simply place metal in vise and bend until desired shape is found...here is the end result. later when i get more indepth with the body i will form body lines to mikic the 31ford...
    the bottom pic shows the upper quarter. before the top of the quarter was completely flat...i think these were actually coupe quarters from a chevy now. but i made some simple pie cuts and bent the original metal over. then i made a piece to go on top. not yet welded. i want to remove the original metal i bent over first.

just gotta say...it may not look like much to a bunch of fellas but its a huge leap for me. been wanting to build one for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bjinatj

bjinatj

Don't take this as me nit picking, but if you scuff up the metal where you weld you'll get better penetration. The less time you spend in there trying to get it to penetrate the less time you are heating up the metal and risking excessive warpage.

Have fun!

9. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

not to bad a fit, just hammer out that bump behind the door and blend it out. lead the shit out of it. interested to see how you tackle the door tops. i think the best look for turning coupes into roadsters is to take that big rounded beltline and continue it rolling over the top. basically eliminate that flat section above it.

just noticed... why are you mounting the doors backwards?

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

12. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

doors are backwards because im running suicide doors. for somereason....i dunnno why....i dont see many roadsters with suicide doors. i like them myself so i figured it be a cool mod.

im on the fence on the hinges. i will do one of the following
    1. use original type hinges.
    2. use hidden hinges.
    ive got both and both require work to install. im leaning towards hidden right now....

13. bjinatj

bjinatj

The suicide doors will probably save your back. It takes quite a bit of effort getting out out of one depending on your shoe size and choice of seats.

14. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

yea...me and model A's dont get along sometimes. im a big boy....6'3" 250lbs. so if i see a chance to gain a couple inches i will do it. besides...im the one whos driving it. lol

one a previous rod i stretched doors on one 8 or so inches. looked good. wish i had photos of it.

15. bjinatj

bjinatj

I understand.. I know my back doesn't do well with some of these cars too..

16. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

well this build is dead ppl....that is atleast for me. i just traded for a 28 model a ford roadster and a 33 plymouth coupe. so yea....im stopping on this one since ive got more interest in the other cars. this body will be up for sale but not sure on the price....