Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Roadster Accident on 5frwy this morning!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Sep 26, 2014.

1. I hate seeing stuff like this. Prayers for the driver and all affected by the accident.

2. titus

titus

lets hope Javier a fast and full recovery.

It would be nice to find out the specifics of the accident but we probably will never, weather the axle broke before or after who know, from pics ive seen of the car it was an aftermarket axle and i would guess a narrow super bell, but again i dont know for sure. if a tire blew and that cranked him into the median it surely could have broke the axle, but also after it stopped and got rammed by the second car it could have been something else, im betting money that the axle broke after the fact.

JEFF

3. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

1930s not! Fiberglass Body  .jpg

1930's not! Fiberglass Body all burned up.
    You guys in Burbank please let us know who to pray for.

4. 296ardun

296ardun

Just hope the driver makes it ok....the rest can get sorted out later...though the details are important to all who build and drive hot rods, if it was parts failure we need to know..

5. Doesn't matter what the car is labeled as. I just hope the driver makes a full, fast recovery and, gets another rod back on the road in the near future.

Dustin

Bubba1955 likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Considering the circumstances, I think he deserves a break. I'm fairly sure he had a lot more on his mind, than whether or not he got the year right for a bunch of key board jockeys. In fact, be glad he pegged a year at all. He could have said, "An old Hot Rod" and pegged everyone with a car that's modified.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  7. cavman

cavman

Does it really matter what year the car is? No. The condition of the drivers and any occupants is ALL that should matter at this point in time.
    I wish them all well.

Bubba1955 and jakespeed63 like this.
  8. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

WELCOME BACK BAD BOB ....hope your Ok, not seeing any post by you brought out a red flag for concern...
    Sounds like the driver may make it and thats good news.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  9. Just thank the First responders and anyone that helped on the scene.And prayers for all involved.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you, glad to know he is doing well. Thoughts and prayers going out for a full and speedy recovery, best wishes to his family and friends. Bob

11. flynstone

flynstone

thank god he is in stable cond, still not otta the woods.....I don't like the officer calling it a rat rod because it tells me he thinks it was thrown together and not safe...but do his job....I think not

12. flynstone

flynstone

meaning I would not do his job

13. You know I was thinking the same thing,,we have missed you Bob.

As for the Roadster Pilot he needs our prayers,and hoping for a full recovery.

It is just speculation on my part and at this point it doesn't matter but I suspect the broken axle is a aftermarket cast axle,and not a forged axle. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. I really hate to see this and it seems to be more often these days. I have a roadster that's only months away from driving and im getting concerned of its safety out on the road.
    Hope like anything this guy pulls through and recovers fully. JW

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

After seeing the news video of the officer speak and reading the news report, what I came away with was one officer said it was a vintage car built in the '40's...then another officer interpreted that and said it was a '40 Ford...then the newsprint said it was a 1944 roadster. If you say it fast '40 Ford roadster sounds like '44 roadster. Doesn't matter what anyone calls it, it was a one car accident and it crashed, then it became a 3 car accident.

16. WHITE KNUCKLE TERROR...
    What a horrible sight! Glad to hear some positive things about his condition.
    Our thoughts are with him tonight.

I worry about this whenever I'm on the highway in our roadster. Wearing the seat belts is small comfort but it might make the difference. I know how "spooky" our car feels at speed (60 mph+) when compared to a modern vehicle. Bias tires, solid axle and all - I think it's set up right, no bump steer and such.
    But still, it's a hand full of white knuckle semi-terror out there...

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. thanks hotrd32.....prayers to Javier for a speedy recovery...

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It doesn't really matter what year they say the car is , or if it's fiberglass or not - the fact that the guy lived through the accident is a friggin' miracle ! That's some scary-looking carnage right there . Hopefully he comes through it in good shape .

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Man this is crazy. I hope he pulls through. What's everyone's thoughts about seatbelts in a roadster? I don't have belts in mine as I feel it might be better to be ejected. Belts might be good in minor collision.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've got lap belts in my roadster(BGII), aand GA law doesn't require them in old cars, and if I ever equip it with at least a hoop roll bar and a couple diagonal longitudinal braces, I'll change to a full racing 4 or 5 point system.
    My thinking on this comes from having had non rollover, but serious accidents, both without belts on the road in years gone by, and serious, non rollover accident(s) with a 4 point racing harnesas on the dirt tracks.
    Not all accidents are rollovers, but I know up close and personal how much more you ricichet around in a non rollover wreck with out belts.

Bubba1955 and volvobrynk like this.
  21. This is the roadster according to a Facebook post.
    1513789_980974951917876_7543952843638686283_n.jpg

23. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

That was a nice looking car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That was a pretty car. I hope the driver heals quickly with no permanent damage.

I think people are fired up about the police characterization of the car as a ratrod because when the law misunderstands your car and what goes into it, they are much more likely to hassle you over little shit. I used to daily drive an off topic modified import in the SF Bay Area that would draw suburban police like crazy. Pretty much the same stuff a hotrod driver faced in 1950.

25. toml24

toml24

I can't think of any redeeming value of being ejected from a car during an accident.

daddio211 and Bubba1955 like this.
  26. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Prayers for a speedy recovery for Javier, and the other drivers also.
    LW

27. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Yikes, this is awful. Hadn't heard about it andw didn't see it on the evening news either.

Godspeed to the driver!

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't know ... The car burned to the ground ... I don't think I would pick strapped into a burning car unconscious , over ejection!..

No way he would of survived being stuck in the car hit by a Toyota, on its lid ,and burning ... But the report will say " sustained injuries because no seatbelt"

Also the " witnesses said car went out of control" ... What witnesses ? The illegals who didnt want to be interviewed?whos cars were on top of this car at the site? I been on freeways when a car loses control in front of me... I hit the brakes... When things come to a hault the accident Is usually 5-6 cars infront of me ... Seems fishy ...

. I hope the guy is able to make a full recovery!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Out of a million wrecks, there is maby 5 or 6 where the out could have been better if the driver have not been wearing his seat belt! Thats not exately a fact, but an estimate made by dad and his collgues, when he was a paramedic.

There is a much greater discusion to be had about what type of seat belt for your car, then if the seatbelt is a good ideer!
    We have had seatbelts since the mid-50s, and make no mistake about it, they save at least a life a day!

Even dale earnhard junior knows seatbelts is a lifesaver. Or is that disrespectful?
    With higher speed, comes higher need for safety gear.
    Non of us goes so fast on the Streets we need HANS. No one goes so slow that they dont need seatbelts!
    It's a matter of car style, roof/no roof and how fast do you drive!

Lap belts do a great deal, but has it's Advanced. But will be insufficient for some speeds and purposes.
    Still a great inprovement over nothing!

30. chrisp

chrisp

Ouch!