Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Roadster Accident on 5frwy this morning!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Anybody know who might have been driving the '32 Roadster that crashed on the 5frwy this morning, around 1-2am? Red wheels and red grill incert. It was in pretty bad shape, so I couldn't tell anything to identify it. Guy was hurt really bad.

2. Prayers out to whoever it was. This seems to be happening all too frequently.

3. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

4. Oh my God!......That's a sickening sight. Hope he makes it.

spiffy1937 and Bubba1955 like this.

5. Obviously the CHP officer doesn't have a clue as to what a 1940 Ford looks like.:rolleyes:

6. WOW!
    Sure hope that he recovers.

BTW, Sgt. Gomez is quoted in the article as saying that is was "an old rat rod. It was a 40 Ford."

C'mon, Sarge !!

daddio211 and Bubba1955 like this.
  7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Holy crap, that looks really bad. Hope he makes it ok. It's odd because usually some regular car T bones one of us, but it looks like the roadster crashed first, from the report.

Sgt Gomez really doesn't know a thing about cars, does he ?

Don

Bubba1955 likes this.
  8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The driver getting ejected may have been a lifesaver.
    C'mon Sarge!

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I agree, that rod was on it's lid!!!! tried to ID the car, but don't even recognize it. It looks eerily similar to mine when I had the red grill insert, but not the red wheels. Godspeed on the recovery.

10. that is hard to look at, who ever it is I pray they get thru this okay

11. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

By the look of the car it may be that the driver being ejected is the reason he is still alive.....hope he pulls through

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't really tell what it started out as but it looks like it has a tube A arm independent front end (amend that to being a broken shock after seeing other photos of the car that were blow up so details could be seen). The axle had such a bend in it that it didn't look like an axle in the smaller photos.

and that the rear tire either shredded and was the primary cause of the accident or got burned after the accident.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

First and foremost, I hope the driver pulls through. Secondly, Sgt. Gomez has no clue. It went from vintage roadster to 40 Ford to rat rod. From what I can see, it doesn't look ratty.

ktc31coupe and Bubba1955 like this.
  14. jchav62

jchav62

Scary sight!! My prayers...

15. I don't know if that's a shock or maybe the spreader bar......
    I don't think it had an independent front, it has hairpins.

16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Dam ,hate to see that ,Hope the driver pulls through .

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Definitely had a solid axle with those hairpins, the rear is a four bar, but really curious who this might be? Not a rat rod in the least.

18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Just found this image, not good, that's a broken straight axle photo (49).JPG

19. OUCH! I hope he pulls through. He is in our prayers. I can't say I've seen a 1944 roadster before.

20. Damn oh damn.......do I hope the driver makes it through his injuries. I know the car isn't the important piece here.....but it sure looks like it had some serious efforts put into its construction.....Guide lights......painted front axle relief.....chrome pins....and steelies.. Thursday night in the Burbank area.......someone will know the specifics. I hate to see anything happen to someone like this. It always strikes me harder......with a hot rodder, and his car.....for some reason, too. I'm sorry......for saying so.....I know there shouldn't be a difference. God bless.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Can't imagine the force it took to snap that axle. That the driver is alive at all is a miracle. Hope he makes it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. verde742

verde742

ANOTHER broken I-beam axle..

23. Best wishes for the driver. Broken axle is crazy bad.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

same thing running through my mind. and did it snap before or during?? And as far as joe goofball public is concerned, ALL old hot rods are "rat rods".

Bubba1955 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"...he lost control for an unknown reason..."

26. bchctybob

bchctybob

Man, I sure hope the guy recovers from this one. Hate to see anyone get hurt, especially while out enjoying their car.
    Prayers and best wishes...

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

Looks like that axle broke just inside of the driver's side batwing. I don't see any flattened wheels from major impact. The outside of the passenger side wheel has some rash though.... I sure hope it wasn't an axle failure. That'll make a lot of us somewhat uneasy. Again, I hope he's ok.

28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

What a shame, hope driver is OK. If rear tire lost its tread and wrapped around something that could cause the car to go out of control. I know, it happened to me on my Merc. I found out later the White Walls were 14 years old causing the loss of the tread. Do yourself a favor and check your D.O.T. date on your tires and change them if 5 years or older.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is the biggest scare we can get! Road accident involving Real desent honest to god hot rods!

I see a 32 grill, red insert, red steelies, I beam axel, spreader bar and carnage.

The question about seatbelt is still on going. But this might be the one in a million story where the seatbelt would have been fatal.

There comes a day where the rest of the World and the HAMB comes to a Shared conclusion about the use of the words for old cars.
    Rat rod=moving POS
    Jalopy=any old car that looks rough/beeing in primer.
    Hot Rod= anything better then stock, looking good.

But to the rest of the World a rat rod is a car build to look old, and looks like it's build before the street rod era, meaning traditional rod and shitty in one catagory. And anything street rod, resto rod or late 90 style is a hot rod.
    It seams that how the rest of the word thinks and talks :-(
    And the would't know a 60 era rod from a pre-war rod. Or a jalopy from a gow job.
    Sad to say, and even harder to hear/read.
    But for a car born in twentys and hot rodded in a 50style, and driven in the new Millennium, it can be hard to put a age un it. Especialy for a non car guy, after it been hit by on comming Traffic!! Give Sgt. Gomez a chance!!

Bit on a mor positive not, when I look at this picture, I see a nice car wrecked, but it comes at a surprise that this car hit a median at speed, ejected it's driver, and was hit by TWO cars.
    Thats one tough SOB (rod), and I hope the driver is too!!

racingonerobb and Bubba1955 like this.
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Makes me damn nervous for sure seeing that broken I beam axle, as I have one in my car. It was there when I bought it in the "mock up" stages, already dropped, drilled and chromed. I was unaware that it was cast till I saw the write ups here on HAMB. Did some research here and it seems that all the known failures were from axles cast in China, and after mine was made. Butr it still makes me nervous!
    Infact it makes me nervous enough that I've decided that when in the future when I pull the axle because of an issue with peeling chrome, it's gonna be replaced, not rechromed.

volvobrynk likes this.