Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ROAD TRIPS IN A HOT ROD OR CUSTOM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 14, 2016.

1. We all love to hit the open road en route to that next big adventure wither it's across the state or across the country but how many of you jump in your hot rod or custom and take off without a automotive event as a destination?

Brenda & I have been talking about taking a week or so and just enjoy driving the wagon,taking the time to stop if something looks interesting and not have a dead line to meet.

I would think this time of the year would be a ideal with the season changing,for lack of a better definition a old car vacation. HRP

tofords, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 8 others like this.
  2. upspirate

upspirate

Sounds great Danny,where would you go up to Blue Ridge Parkway?
    I've made camping trips from Fla to Michigan towing our ski boat with our old 29 roadster, and toured around Kentucky/Tenn after the NSRA Nats in the 29 and also our 36 Chev p/u.
    Camping trips to the Fla keys pulling a pop-up camper also scan0002.jpg

3. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a couple customers that came into our shop every year with their OT muscle cars. They would get them inspected and fluids changed and then they would be gone for two weeks.
    They got sick of driving to big events every year so they would through a dart at a map of BC/ Alberta and Northwest USA. Where ever that dart landed- that's where they went.
    Very cool

4. le

Thanks,I WILL read the article.

Savanna,Georgia and then head for The Blue Ridge Parkway,and just play tourist.

Hopefully in the future if I ever get the old Shasta Camper road worth we can also do some camping also.HRP

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and upspirate like this.
  5. donno

donno

Off topic, but my Domestic Partner has a 57 Starchief rag top. ZZ4 / 700R4. We drove from North Idaho to Redding Ca twice in 10 days, then to Ft Collins Co for good guys. Had a ball. Gas Nazi's in Oregon would not fuel it, had to DIMS. Gonna try the Ft Collins thing again next fall from Las Vegas, maybe take my 48 Merc as well and go to Rapid City SD. Ya gotta drive 'em!!

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Mrs. Avater and I jump in the Avatar or the truck for a ride "somewhere" pretty often. Sometimes for ice cream or date night and usually within an hour's radius or the like. I guess not that far but fun none the less.

7. Davyj

Davyj

DSCF5145.JPG The wife and I do daytrips regularly all summer. We go online and look for Groupons or Wagjags for a restaurant somewhere withing 200 > 300 miles. then off we go.............For us that could be anywhere in Southern Ontario, Western NY and NW Pennsylvania....... a few weeks ago we found a spot where we could go up in a WWII trainer for a $200 donation. Last year we had a groupon for the Blue Bird Cafe in Nashville.........just a day away........... To us the thrill is in the trip............. DSCF8805.JPG DSCF8805.JPG

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was driving mine about once a week before it laid down. Usually 15-20 mile trips, although we did drive it over to Tupelo MS last year for Blue Suede Cruise, farthest it has ever been. The way I work, 5 1/2 days a week, doesn't leave much time for road trips, and now we are raising our Grandson, we have even less time.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Today is Brenda's Birthday and we got the wagon out and drove to Georgia for a picnic and later on this evening we are going for a nice dinner in the wagon. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, WillyKJr and 6 others like this.
  10. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

^^way to go!

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I haven't been on a road trip in years, there never seems to be any time for things like that any more. Between having a small child, elderly in-laws and running a business, we pretty much always have a definite destination.:(

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

You're the fella who was talking about a 'driving season' arent ya? I only drive old cars. The newest car I have is a 66 but its modern so I rarely drive it. Most of my cars are 1930s and 1950s, My avatar has taken me to four states. I usually need to pull a trailer so the 35, 39 and 60 Ford trucks are used more. The 57 chevy pulls the car hauler too.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

A good Fall trip with great foliage is the Indiana Covered Bridge Tour.

Gary

14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20161015_215155.jpg

Nothing better than a big cushy ride with plenty of power and a pretty girl to share it with. No goofy surf boards for effect.... just an actual beach cruiser.

Bought it in Seattle and road tripped it home 2 days. After that it routinely went to the coast, mountains, and anywhere we dared point it.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  15. Drove my old sedan delivery to my class reunion .....from Omaha to northern Oregon but as I passed the salt flats on I-80 I HAD to drive out to the end of the road, onto the salt and blast through the gears!
    I almost made it through to the end with no automotive stuff involved.
    deliveryN48chev.jpg

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  16. I have been in your shoes in the past and I know the feeling of needing to be close to home,family comes first and if you own a business where you deal with the public you just can't close to doors and take off.

For now enjoy the time you have with your family and hopefully you will be successful in business and it will afford you a enjoyable retirement in the future. HRP

17. squirrel

squirrel

I always seem to have a destination. Hopefully with wife retiring soon, we'll do some random exploring.

18. Guilty as charged, for many years the only means of transportation I owned was a 1940 DeLuxe tudor sedan and a Model A pickup.

But times change,owning a business where having reliable delivery is imperative dictated my decision of having a newer truck & van,I can't begin to imagine how much maintenance would be involved with trying to us the old cars and trucks,especially with the young employees that deliver.

As far as driving old cars the '54 wagon has been driven through 12 states since I restored it in 2012 and the '32 has seen just as many driving to and from shows.

We enjoy the older cars on a regular basis but we never really take a vacation that don't include a show,my thoughts here was to just hit the road with no particular destination. HRP

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Does moving from Virginia to California count? One might note the U-Haul trailer behind my truck in my avatar. The 1970 .030 over 429 had 141 miles on it when I left VA in 1996. Got lots of grins and thumbs up while driving cross-country. To me, "regular car" road trips are not nearly as fun, though they may be more comfortable:D.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Been doing just that for the last five years. Pretty much stopped going to any large car get together and we just pick a state and go.
    It's fun to take some of the old car routes. Lincoln hwy.
    Old route 62 south. The only way to go south before 77.
    Old National Pike Route 40.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Road

Hit Pennsylvania this year, antiquing, chasing tall ships, staying at B&Bs. And cruising the state parks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  21. This is kind of what I had in mind,like you I have become disillusioned with the big shows. HRP

22. When we went to Chicago and came back on 66 the trip was the destination, took as long as needed to see what we wanted to. We still talk about what a great road trip that one was. We are now in the planning stages for the next one.

23. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I have driven the 46 round trip from Tampa to Dawsonville, GA for the Moonshine Festival and twice in my 55 F-100. Fortunately, there were no problems and had a great time. Carried plenty of spare parts.

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The Camsnappers and some friends went out today for lunch up to Nothwood,NH. Beauty day for a cruise 1476652671736.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I started a thread a few weeks ago about the PCH/101 in a hot rod. Thats what I would like to do.

26. I got my avatar convert in March of 1979. It sat a little higher than shown with Keystone Kustomags on it. It took a week to make like the picture. In the 37+ years since it has traveled right around 180,000 miles. Besides all the show trips it has been a daily from time to time, went on a ton of picnics, camping trips, weddings, homecomings, vacations and explorations. I took it off the road about 4 years ago to rebuild the bottom of the body (rockers, body mounts and other stuff that was always put off). It's nearly ready to start over next spring.

I've never had a car that I liked quite as much.

27. 29moonshine

29moonshine

several yrs ago my wife and i took 2 weeks and drove from west fla to the grand caynon in my 29 delivery. we got up when we woke up . and stoped all along the way in small towns to sight see. ate lunch at the road side parks or rest stops then found a motel with a good resturant for the night we came back through the painted desert .we would meet a lot of people along the way that wanted to talk cars. one of the best times

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  28. I hope this thread continues . I Enjoy reading all these. The last few years we been taking lots of road trips. My grandson loves them. He says we can't use G.P.S. we can't take interstates, no chain motels or restaurants. We are planning a coast to coast road trip for next summer. The old Lincoln Highway, route 66, Grand Canyon, Bonneville, the Petersen, Cars land, etc. Life is to short to miss the important time that we spend with family. I use to attend all the nats and big car shows. Road Trips are so much more FUN! Thanks Ron... 038.jpg 072.jpg 028.jpg

29. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

driving our 58 Chevy delray from atlanta to new orleans first week of december