Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road Tripping The Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappybunch, Apr 24, 2012.

1. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Trying to plan a road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Any must see old vehicle related stops along the way?

2. First thing that comes to mind is Eavers Car Museum in Staunton VA.
    http://eaversclassiccarmuseum.com/index2.html
    But it's probably 30 minutes from the Parkway.

I live right at the foot of the mountain.
    Let me know when you come through.

3. terry48435

terry48435

Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley N.C. at the end of the parkway. We rode it last year on our Harleys. Liked Skyline Drive better Its at the north end of the Blue Ridge about 100 miles long.It has better overlooks. It's a nice ride if you like a lot of twisties. Here's a few pics.

Attached Files:

4. Here are a few from my trips:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All from the Parkway.

The Parkway is free. If you want on the Skyline Drive, the charge a fee.
    Not a whole lot, just something to be aware of.

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

It is also a very sloooow drive.
    Never could make it all the way end to end.

6. There is a small museum in Galax, VA , saturdays or by appointment, I think.
    There is a detour from about the VA/NC line to Laurel Springs, NC

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  7. Labold

Labold

Envious of the trip. I've been on several legs of the B.R.P. but never the entire thing.

8. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Some of the guys on the Ford Barn made that trip last year. Send a PM to JM 35 Sedan. He should be able to suggest a few stops since he set it up. I'm real sorry I could not make that tour.

9. x2 Very cool place if ya like motorcycles. :cool:

10. Check your brakes before you leave on the trip. You'll use them quite a bit.

11. Watch for DEER and keep within the speed limit because the rangers dont mess around and nail speeders.

12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Drove both a couple years ago. Relaxing. Saw a nice bear. Try a side road that goes to Little Switzerland (Near the NC border if I remember right) if you like curves. Never touched the gas for 10 minutes or so. Some nice scenery. Several places to pull off for views. Get on Google Earth and you can drive it virtual. Have a good trip!

SPark

13. The road has deteriorated noticeably over the past 20 years. When they say 45 mph, they mean it. Not many places to stop for gas between Afton Mountain and Bedford, so fill your tank before you jump on at Afton. During the rest of the trip, watch your gas gauge and fill up when you can.

Prettiest stretch is from Roanoke to Jefferson, NC.

If you are in the Floyd, VA area on a Friday, make sure to check out the Floyd Country Store. Terrific music.

http://www.floydcountrystore.com/

And when you pass the little barroom there at Tuggle's Gap, VA, stop and have a cold one. My old stomping grounds, but that was a long time ago.

It's a terrific trip. You'll have a blast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012