Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road trip for parts in NY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rld14, Jul 1, 2012.

1. rld14

rld14

Soo... I've been looking for a good Y block for my 54 Ford to replace the smoking worn out 239 and my 60 Lincoln also needs a tranny.

Well I found a Lincoln trans out of a 59 for $50 on Craigslist in Long Island And the guy said he had some other parts. I also found a low mile crate motor 292 up by Kingston NY.

And we just took an older S10 on trade at work that was going to the auction... So that's parts, truck, and motivation..

First run was to Long Island, all the way out in Patchogue... Got there a little late bc it took over 3 hours to go 70 miles!

The seller had a 59 Premiere coupe with 30k miles, and based on the pedals id agree.

[​IMG]

There's the tranny loaded in the bed of the truck, and for a total of $150 for everything I also got a 4bbl intake manifold, an extra treadle-vac, generator, starter, voltage regulator, carb (ok so the carb is junk), heat riser for the intake, fan and power steering pump!

[​IMG]

Seller was a real cool guy and happy to see the parts going to a good home.

The next stop was from eastern LI, to just south of Kingston NY, with still broken AC... oh boy. Luckily I caught very little traffic on the way back, just some on the Cross Bronx and that wasn't even bad, the car gods must have been smiling on me because I was cruising along the LIE at 70-75 the whole way back, that's unheard of.

So I get to the seller of the 292s house, real cool guy, has some 56 Chevys including one that has been in the family since new!

The 292 came out of a dump truck that got wrecked, it's a reman 61, a C1AE and a quick look down the bores with a bore scope showed PERFECT cylinders. This is a score!

[​IMG]

So we got that loaded and I headed back to Jersey... Left at Noon, got back after midnight. Tired and sweaty but damn was this worth it!

2. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I saw that tranny on c/l, nice to see it found a home.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like a fun good scoring day - congrats

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bet there is still a lot of stuff traped on Long Island. Bob

5. teddyp

teddyp

my y-block came came out of a 61 dump if it,s a truck motor it may have a steal crank i

6. gtowagon

gtowagon

70-75 on the LIE you must have been in the slow lane