Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip! D/FW - VLV via Route 66!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toptinman, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Awesome thread. Thanks for posting this. I would love to have an old porcelin gas station on a piece of property to make my own. Classic Americana

2. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

This is a great thread! Thanks for sharing your trip...it really makes me want to do the same thing. What a blast!

3. What a fantastic road trip! Thank you for posting pictures of your adventure!

4. BIGGMOE

BIGGMOE

Awesome thread. I'd love to take my kids out on a trip on Route 66 like this someday.

5. Thankyou for taking the time to share your trip with us

6. Toptinman

Toptinman

I didn't mean to leave everyone hanging in Oatman last night with my last post. The battery died on my laptop just as I sent off my last update. But, hey, since it was one o'clock in the morning, I don't think that I had anymore left in me anyway!

I'm pretty much wiped out tonight also! We've squeezed just about every last ray of sunshine out of each day before calling it quits for the day, so it hasn't left me the time that I thought I'd have to update this thread.

Before checking it out tonight though, I am gonna leave you with a shot of this cool old tractor sitting in the streets of Oatman.

[​IMG]

More to come!

7. Toptinman

Toptinman

Oh, okay! Let's wrap it up in Oatman tonight! One of the first buildings that Stevan and I checked out was the Oatman Hotel. It's where Clark Gable & Carol Lombard spent their honeymoon after getting married in Kingman. They have kept their honeymoon suite intact as it was upstairs in the hotel. We didn't get to see it because the upstairs was closed off to visitors because of renovation. The hotel is also said to be haunted. Tomorrow I'll pass on my own personal experience with the ghost of the Oatman Hotel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hotel owners have posted pictures in the lobby of ghost sightings from this stairwell.

[​IMG]

Also, in the Oatman Hotel bar, they allow you to put a dollar up on the wall . . . . if you can find an available space!

[​IMG]

One last shot of Oatman, AZ. before we head on out.

[​IMG]

8. 55glyde

55glyde
    from mile high

Incredible!!! This is proof that makes me feel I grew up in the wrong generation... however, I am not sure if i would have appreciated it as much as i do looking back on all of it.

9. Kustom Dick

Kustom Dick
    from Finland

I'm speechless...

10. RAY With

RAY With

First to last =incredable adventure. Think the wife and I will head out the same way you guys did.

11. Just checkin in. I seemed to have nodded off in the back seat. Hey dad what were those two donkeys doin???
    [​IMG]
    Love this thread, Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  12. kisam

kisam

I am so enjoying this thread!

13. Rusty

Rusty

Great thread!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing

14. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for the great pictures, you really have done a lot of us a great favor!

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread RULES!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these pictures! We've driven parts of RT66 while on a couple road trips from So. Cal. to Chicago and even recognize a bunch of what you posted, but a lot of the really cool stuff we didn't get to venture far enough in to see. This is really motivating to set back out again to drive the 66 and see more!

16. Toptinman

Toptinman

While Stevan is getting ready this morning, I'l share my ghost story of the Oatman Hotel real quick before this thread leaves Oatman, AZ.
    Back about seven or eight years ago, when visiting Oatman again, I took my girlfriend, Anne, to the Oatman Hotel to see the Gable/Lombard honeymoon suite. We had walked right past it the first time, so when we turned around to go see it, I was about eight feet in front of Anne in the hallway and had just past this one door when I heard the door knob turn and heard the door swing open. Since I had my back to it, I thought someone was coming out and stepped to the side to allow them to get around me in the hallway. Curious, I glanced over my shoulder at the door and that's when I noticed the pad lock on the door! That door couldn't have opened but I heard it. I turned and asked Anne if she heard the same thing that I had heard and she said that she did. Said that she was looking in one of the open doors into another room, heard the sound and glanced up to see nobody there! But we both heard that door knob twist as if someone was opening it and the door swing open.
    Spooky.
    Well, we're about to embark on our last day of our trip. Got a bunch planned for today also. Will catch you all up tomorrow when I get home.

17. I'm going to hate seeing this end !! Well done !!

18. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

great road trip and awesome picts! Thanks for sharing!

19. Zumo

Zumo

Awesome trip guys!

20. Very cool photos of your trip! It has always been a dream of mine to travel Route 66. And your wagon rules!

21. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Toptinman, I love everything about this thread. Great pictures, attention to details, two buds on a roadtrip, your car, your writing, the history, it's all good. You did make it VLV right?

22. Scott_A_R

Scott_A_R
    from Frisco, TX

I will join with everyone else to say this thread has been an incredible enjoyment to read and the pictures are oustanding. I think I'll turn this into a guide in itself for whenever I may be able to make such a journey. Fantastic!

23. 76cam

76cam

Awsome just friggn Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. 53 effie

53 effie

I'd love to make this same trip some day. I did see parts of Route 66 when I lived in New Mexico while in the Air Force. Thanks so very much for sharing!!

And several have asked about the details on your car. I'll tag on that. What is the drivetrain??

25. SlamIam

SlamIam

Thank you for sharing this. My oldest grandson and I have been planning a trip exploring old 66 in the '51 F1 when it's done, and this thread is motivation to get it finished this year.

26. Toptinman

Toptinman

Just to let everyone know that Stevan and I made it back home around midnight tonight safe & sound. No problems what-so-ever! We had another awesome day. I can't friggin' wait to catch everyone up on what all we did since my last update. Especially today. It'll flip you out! But all in due time. I'll finish updating this thread tomorrow. But, for now, guess who's going to get his butt in bed??? THIS GUY!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  27. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Glad y'all made it home safe! Can't wait for the updates...

28. 41fordor

41fordor

Sweet! Just make sure you're going 88 mph by exactly 10:04 PM in order to get the 8.21 gigawatts to the flux capacitor.

I was just in Wichita this weekend but with an OT car. Or I would have gone through Archer City and Holliday and gotten some pics of where "Last Picture Show" was filmed

EDIT: Thanks for the great pictures too. Your wagon is freakin awesome, I want to build a longroof now!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  29. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Great post ,thanks. I hope to make a road trip like this one day in a hot rod or crusier. I have only seen rt 66 in Arizona so far ,we stayed in Williams . We also had a meal at the steak house in Williams.

P.S. love the 60 wagon too!

30. This has been a great thread. Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us.

Admittedly, after looking through all of the pictures and reading the posts I'm still curious....Does the OT car in the background make my Ass look big??