Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road to Rumble! D/FW to RRR on Rt. 66 Road Trip!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toptinman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. strega

strega
    from ohio

Great pictures

strega

2. Toptinman

Toptinman

In Chandler, Ok., I just had to whip the wagon around to pull in front of this old cottage style Phillips 66 station. Great photo op!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which had an old Valentine Diner sitting out back. Both the station and the diner are awaiting restoration. But, that has been the case for several years.

[​IMG]

The next town on the Route leaving Chandler is Davenport. Out of all of the "Welcome" signs I've seen on the trip, this one is the best yet!

[​IMG]

Not that I'm biased you understand, but I though including the wagon even made it that much better!

[​IMG]

When is the last time you've seen street signs like this?

[​IMG]

Also in town sits this old station now turned into a diner.

[​IMG]

With it's main entrance shingled in tags.

[​IMG]

3. Toptinman

Toptinman

Update. While I'm a day and a half catching up on my trip, (somehow I envisioned myself sitting around the motel room each night updating this thread), I'm actually stranded in Joplin, MO. still fighting fuel issues. After dropping the tank in Tulsa looking for trash and not finding anything, I made it as far as Miami, OK. when it was obvious it was a fuel filter this time. No problem, as I'd just picked one up at a previous Wal-Mart stop. Slapped it on and I was good to go . . . . . until Galena, KS., that is. Same thing again. Put my second spare filter back on and that got me just barely to the Mo. state line when it died on me again.
    I'm getting good clean gas up to the carb it looks like but with no filter to replace at the carb, I was stranded. Thanks to Santa Fe Towing, I was flatbeded into Joplin and here I sit waiting for the parts store down the street to open up so that I can get back on the road. Easy fix if I had what I needed. So, really, in my defense of not keeping this thread updated as currently as I intended, my nights haven't been spent lounging around the motel as I anticipated but rather were spent either under the wagon or sitting awaiting rescue on the side of the road. Which wasn't that bad really. it allowed me to see the sun set over the chat mounds of Galena, KS. while on the old, old alignment of Route 66. So, it's all good.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. Toptinman

Toptinman

As I was leaving Davenport, I spotted this old gas station with a cool Rt. 66 mural.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ryno

ryno

im in joplin!
    pm me your number if needed if got a trailer and a lift ill come get ya.

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

sorry about your troubles,really enjoying your trip. keep-on-truckin

7. Sorry to hear of your problems, but its good you are keeping the positive outlook on the experience. Also thank you for posting pictures of areas close to where I grew up but never saw.

8. Sweet, another road trip!
    Thanks for sharing your adventure!

9. Thanks for all the great coverage! I need to take a road trip like this. I have made lots of trips to St. Louis from OKC and have covered some of that trip along Route 66. I have just never planned enough time to make enough stops along the way. I look forward to checking back in on this thread regularly and hopefully you will get your fuel issue figured out soon.

10. TexasDart

TexasDart

This also looks like the station on the Welcome sign.....maybe I'm stating the obvious..cool trip. Good luck with the gas issues.

[​IMG]

11. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Enjoying your thread. Hope you get the fuel problems straightened out. Looking forward to meeting you at the Rumble.

12. Blase

Blase

Really enjoy your threads! The history that you are showing is just priceless....the wagons not bad either. LOL

13. scrubba

scrubba

I thought ya'all out did yerselves on the first group, now I see where yer gonna top even that ! scrubba

14. ratt7

ratt7

Thanks for the pictures, certainly a great ride out.

15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Looks like fun and educational, wish you the best.

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great pics!!!

17. ryno

ryno

any body heard from him today?
    i never got a pm from him, so i guess thats good, unless hes stuck in joplin still, if so soembody pm me some info.

18. Toptinman

Toptinman

Entering Stroud, OK., there is the famous Rock Cafe owned by Dawn Welsh. I wasn't hungry, so I just stopped for a picture or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little further east of the Rock Cafe was this cool ghost sign on the side of a tin building.

[​IMG]

Directly across the street from the old tin garage building was this Edsel & Corvair snuggling together like lovers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading east on Route 66 from Stroud, the next stop is Depew, OK. A newer alingment pretty much bypasses Depew but the old alignment took the traffic downtown because back in the day, that was the center of commerce for everyone. The old portland cement ran right past this old gas station in downtown Depew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, the now closed newer station across the street lacked the character of it's older brother.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  19. 1959apache

1959apache

"Directly across the street from the old tin garage building was this Edsel & Corvair snuggling together like lovers."

I love this line, but I still can't get it out of my head that that Edsel is just uglier than sin (no offense to anyone else if you love Edsels). Reminds me of an old girlfriend... boy what was I thinking... haha

Keep truckin, looking forward to seeing you up here.

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

hope to meet ya there-I am headed over in a few hours

21. Toptinman

Toptinman

East of the downtown area in Bristow, OK., there is this cool old station. Don't know any of the history on it though.

[​IMG]

One a previous trip through Bristow while on our way to the H.A.M.B. drags, Stevan & I discovered this old Chrysler/Plymouth sign off in the distance across the railroad tracks. I made a point of swinging back over on this trip to include a picture for this thread.

[​IMG]

Underneath the sign lay the old dealership building. While it may not be officially on Rt. 66, it's still too cool not to visit.

[​IMG]

Had to snap a pic of this old two cycle engine for a friend who restores them. It sits beside the old dealership.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shooting off the current alignment of Rt. 66 east of Bristow is a segment of the original Rt. 66 that goes down to this old motel before dead endinging. Felt that it deserved a looksee on this trip.

[​IMG]

Watch for this sign when looking for the segment.

[​IMG]

Turning off the newer alignment greets you with this view. Love the old portland cement sections of the Route through Oklahoma!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entering Sapulpa, OK., on the Route allows you to cross over this old steel truss bridge. A nearby plaque states that it was originally built in 1921 to serve the Ozark Trail and later became part of Route 66 when the highway was commisioned in 1926. It served the Route 66 motorist until it was bypassed in 1952.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You didn't think I'd forget to snap a shot of the wagon on it, did you?!

[​IMG]

Make note that it's actually paved with bricks!

[​IMG]

But before reaching the bridge, you pass by this now closed old drive in theater.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Toptinman

Toptinman

Update. While I plan to give the fully story about yesterday when this thread gets to day three of my trip (Dang! I'm still just updating day one?!) but I spent all of yesterday in Jolpin. The wagon died on me again (over in the tornado devastation area of all places!) where I called this guy I met at Auto Zone while working on the wagon who offered his trailer and shop if I had problems in Joplin. To make a long story short (because I need to get ready and get on the road to Indy!) my new two week old electric furl pump was shutting down after it got hot. Not vapor locking. Not just not pumping but the motor wasn't even turning. So, a new fuel pump later and I was back on the road. I made it to Carthage, MO., for the night but I can tell that the wagon still isn't running right. As the day heats up, I have to feather the throttle as I take off from stopping for a photo op. I'm wondering if I also might have an ignition issue. Maybe the MSD box. Any suggestions? I'm at a loss but my plans of making the three day Road Rocket Rumble a two day event for me may soon become a one day event for me. But I'm pushing on. I'm not complaining. I'm still enjoying the trip and I've seen a couple of new things about Route 66 that I havent seen before on previous trips. Boiled down, this trip is a trip!

23. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Glad to see you are back on the road please keep us posted if you need anything......see you at the rumble

24. Toptinman

Toptinman

Tulsa takes pride in their Route 66 heritage as evidenced by the way that they mark the highway through their city.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the first things encountered of the original alignment of the Route in Tulsa is this new park that they are building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those of you that are playing the game where you take a drink everytime I show a picture of the wagon, get ready to down another beer!

[​IMG]

This looked like an old gas station to me so I snapped a picture.

[​IMG]

Just a little further east on 11th St. is this old Bell station.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw this old "Midway Trailer Court" sign next to the Bell station. I'm wondering if a motel was once a part of the operation since they offered "kitchenettes".

[​IMG]

This is a Route 66 icon in Tulsa. Originally built in 1934, the Meadow Gold sign had been a beacon on Route 66 for seventy years when the building that supported it was sold. Through the efforts of many dedicated groups and grants, the Meadow Gold sign was labeled, removed, completely restored, and reinstalled about a mile east of it's original location on a new support building. Unfortunately, it was yet dark, so I didn't get to see it lit up.

[​IMG]

Bottoms up!

[​IMG]

25. Toptinman

Toptinman

Next door to the restored sign is the Corner Cafe. I'd heard about the place and appreciated the opportunity to try it out.

[​IMG]

I had to introduce my taste buds to their pork chops.

[​IMG]

After a good hardy meal, it was time to find a place to turn in. I chose to crash at the Desert Hills Motel because I'd heard that they had a cool neon sign. I wasn't disappointed!

[​IMG]

Inviting isn't it?

[​IMG]

Though the wagon sat patiently by the door like a dedicated dog, it wasn't in the plans for neither of us to rest up just yet.

[​IMG]

Because I started having problems with how the wagon ran when I first got on the Route, I'd convinced myself that, just like the Acme Speed Shop crew when they made a trip to the Lone Star Round Up this year, that I had trash in my fuel tank. After finding someone willing to drop the tank that night so that I could be back on the road the next morning, the wagon & I found a vacant lot across the street from the motel to do the dirty work.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, after all that work, we didn't find anything. Trash in the tank wasn't the problem. So it was back to the motel just in the nick of time before the rains came!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thus, with the pitter patter of rain just outside my door, I settled in to updating this thread before finally calling it a night. So ended day one of my trip.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  26. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

Is your wagon stock?

27. Toptinman

Toptinman

No, the ol' Y block has been swapped out to a 351 W and a C6 automatic.

28. Great thread, dig your wagon!

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER