Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Road Race Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SoCal Merc, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Steve 38

Steve 38

Wow, these are great photos, thanks for sharing. It seems to be the 1964 L.A Times GP at Riverside. The car/driver details from what I can figure out, are as follows:

The first car, as has been mentioned several times above, is a Cheetah, a front engined car built to take on the Shelby Cobra's. They were really quick, were Chevy powered, and their creator Bill Thomas was a GM dealer who was trying to get GM backing to build the cars in bigger numbers.

Of the cars I've placed below, are:
    #94: King Cobra, Parnelli Jones (note the MkI Cortina tail lights). Jones won this race.
    #23: Mecom Hussein, A.J Foyt. Powered by a Nascar 426ci Dodge Hemi
    #97: Lang Cooper, Ed Leslie
    #6: Chapparal 2, Roger Penske. Penske was filling in for Jim Hall who was injured in a previous race. There were 2 Chapparals in this race, the other driven by Hap Sharp
    #2, McLaren M1, Bruce McLaren. This is a pretty cool shot, as this is the first ever McLaren race car, and this is only its second ever race.

Thanks again for sharing, those are really great photos.

Attached Files:

2. Retrorod

Retrorod

My wife has this slide/scanner setup that works well, she can also scan negatives and the softwear "developes" the negatives into positive images....pretty trick. It's made by Nikon. I had two full file cabinet drawers of 35mm slides that she digitized. It took quite a few hours but at least now we have everything on CDs.

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A few more details: The King Cobras were basically Cooper Monacos powered by Ford V8s, campaigned by the Shelby team. I believe that most of them were 289's, although there may have been a 427 among them.

The Lang Cooper was a similar concept, but built independently by/for Craig Lang, and had a completely different (and very good-looking) body. John Morton, who drove it at least once, said that it was a truly terrible car to drive and was wildly unstable at speed.

I believe that I worked that race as a tech inspector. Riverside was the best!

4. frank s

frank s

Hoping it's not a hanging offense to disinter an ancient thread...

There are a few photos and links from Riverside International Raceway on this site.

5. CTO

CTO

At least some King Cobras had Mag 494 FEs. I don't think they ran very long.

6. CTO

CTO

Just checked and 494 was based on Boss 429 not FE.

7. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

cool photos send them on to Tams web site