Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roach Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superchargednailhead, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve

so El-P whats the story who has the body now?

2. desertdroog

desertdroog

ElPolacko builds safe and clean rides. It will probably be faster than it was as the Roach Rod, (probably will stop better too).

I have faith in Steve S. If it was such a sacrilege, then why did the HAMB allow SamIYam to sell it? God forbid this transaction/transformation should happen in the U.S.A. from one HAMBer to the next HAMBer.

It is in good hands...we know this.

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Its a damn shame in my opinion to think the car got split up..Some things are better left alone but i will also keep an open mind since it doesnt directly affect me...The 'clip' of that lil rod is forever in my mind!!..It does represent a movement and period of time like Bleed said that some people will just never understand in my opinion..The outcome should be interesting to say the least...But realize, not everyone will accept it...Good luck and keep us posted...

Hell, i would like to see the hookers painted back on the side of Rudy's truck too!

Dirty

4. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

There were three guys on their way to the Ranch Run hosted by Rogue.

They stopped off at Elpolako's shop for a visit. These three amigo's looked at various projects, when, Lo and Behold, one of them came across the Roach road sitting there with all it's bullet holes intact.

All of them viewed this treasure of the HAMB.

It had been offered to anyone of the group for the Ranch Run drive.

After all the car means to all of you, I, for one, am very glad I said No, Thanks.
    I can just see it now, driving the car the way Sam did and having what happened to DRD57's car, happen to the Roach rod.
    But, there for a moment, Temptation reared its ugly head>>>>>

I could not have lived that down..

Would that have been fun, or what!

5. I cannot believe you just compared the roach rod to the OUTLAW!!! What the hell are you smokin to make THAT leap?!?!?!?! geeze. let it go...it's a done deal.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm ready for the hate mail but...

I have to agree with Barnett. First of all, we all dig that car, including me. I also think Sam is a great guy who is loaded with talent and knowledge beyond his years. But I don't really get the global historic importance people seem to be attaching to this car. It's not the Hirohata Merc, The Outlaw or any other car that changed history. It's a cool car, but not unlike a bunch of others around at the time it was built. It didn't shatter any stereotypes or move the world outside the HAMB on a large scale. There IS a world outside the HAMB believe it or not. I find it hard to believe sometimes myself when I run into a guy who would fit this board better than many here who has no idea about the HAMB and could give a shit to find out. I'm not discounting the Roach Rod's importance to the HAMB and especially to Sam, but I am puzzled by the outpouring of anger by anyone but Sam. I may be biased because to me the real adventure and love is in the build. I have put my heart and soul into cars I've built for myself and helped others build, but always enjoy the process more than the final product. That's just me and maybe that has fucked up my perspective.

Now the dash, that's another story. That better not get fucked up. I'll put up $$$ to make sure Ryan gets it too.

I know I should have bit my tongue, but I never said I was too bright.

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Evolution:

Tex Smith's dollar a pound rod. You younger guys don't remember the impact this car had in it's heydey. It was kinda like the roach rod in a way. Do what you can with what you've got. No aftermarket parts. Just fun in the garage and on the road. Pic at our cruise night. Hood signed by all the greats.
    [​IMG]

And, evolved. Same basic car but now with pro paint and interior so the LA Roadsters will allow it in their show. Still shows it's roots, but you have to look harder.
    Best part of the car to me is the hood with all those famous signatures. History respected and preserved. I can live with it. Without that hood, it's just another roadster.
    [​IMG]

I hope you guys have the same respect for the car. Show us what you can do.;)

8. kroozn1

kroozn1

Pro paint?
    Tex didn't even know it was going to get painted when he dropped it off here.
    Just patch up some battle wounds and get a new coat of primer was what he told me to do while his wife and him went to OZ.
    His wife had other ideas and told me to paint it.
    Peggy (Tex's wife) and I took Tex into a whole different car world.
    He now had a car he had to wash!
    No way could I paint over that hood tho.
    That primered and signed hood makes for an argument everytime I have driven it to the LA Roadster show just to get it inside.
    I think the interior was $600
    It's still a low buck car and a blast to drive.
    Carl

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

It's a great paint job Carl, I especially like the tailfeathers!;)

But if you'd painted over that hood...:eek:

10. kroozn1

kroozn1

The names are starting to fade some :(
    I will be in Lava this weekend!
    I wish I had time to go to IF and have coffee with you and bug Roger.
    He did offer my old sports coupe back to me 'n I am thinking about it.
    Next time I am up ... your buying!
    Carl

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

LOL, I'd like to see him have to move all those flattys and fenders to get to that sports coupe!

12. kroozn1

kroozn1

We were counting on you for help! lol

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

It is not owned by a HAMBer, Check the first post, it is a friend, MilesM and ElP just know the guy....

14. hatch

hatch
    from house

Let me simplify this....

sam builds car, spends money...has fun

sam sells car, gets money...to build more....and have fun

new guy gives sam money to get car....and have fun

el p....builds car, has fun and work...gets money...to have fun

I don't see anything wrong with what happened. If we were rich, we could all have a huge stash of stuff saved for posterity.....but most of us all do what I just described above.....screw history....have fun THIS day, it may be your last.

15. If I read this correctly, MilesM still has the frame and running gear.

16. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

17. disastron13

disastron13

Lookin at this story from a different angle...I have a Triumph that I started building and riding in 1981, really built right...scoured the swaps for the perfect traditional English pieces, learned to weld, learned body work, every part has been modified for performance, all kept in the tradition. Became a famous bike in the Midwest, went to Davenport AMCA fifteen times, Springfield mile, Lizard Rally, BBC in Wisc several times, camping, drag raced it, raced it on the street against every 60s car I saw, it became a beloved member of my family. I ran it into the ground three times and "restored" it, ech time making mods to make it better, lighter, faster
    Constantly ran into dorks- "Are you goin to restore it?"
    Well...times change, my scene has changed. Now I live in a part of the world that isn't very kind to Triumphs, the Chihuahua Desert. It's sitting unloved and unridden with 2001 plates.
    The motor is up north gettin blue printed and I just got a bi ol Italian TLS front brake for her.
    BUT- short on cash, no undrilled WM3 x 19 Boranni Record alloy rims around, no access to a TIG machine, really less interest in riding. Just HD guys here...no "bike culture"
    If I was rational the bike would move to a new owner.
    But I can't do it- my grandson needs it in seven years, it's such a part of me that...
    You get the picture.
    Makes me sad to see it sleeping but...
    Should Sam have kept the RR forever? If he would have, he would have evolved and modified it constantly, made or gotten new old parts for it, maybe made some big changes.
    Sam really hated to turn it loose...
    Anyway, hope Ryan gets the dash, the new owner drives and loves it, "evolves" it in a trad way.
    That's all

18. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

this is exactly what i was trying to say,,but i have trouble getting my thoughts across to the internet at times where people can understand what im trying to say,,thanks kirk

19. "Gee, Greg, I really don't know what happened to your car... aliens?":D

To keep this on topic...
    It's a car. Nothing more, nothing less. A bunch of steel, rubber, copper, whatever. It holds memories for some, ideas for others. Just be thankful that we're able to enjoy it. Or fight about it.

Sam did what he wanted, now MilesM is gonna do what he wants. Do you think I'm happy my 2nd owner Fleetline now has a 2.8?:rolleyes:

I guess I've heard it said that "good art envokes passion". Congrats Sam, you done created good art.:D

Jay

20. And all the famous people have ridden in it...

[​IMG]

...and all the famous cars have passed it...

[​IMG]

21. scarylarry

scarylarry

Was not really comparing the cars, just the principle of cutting up something that means something to some people. Seems everyone is about done with this one, so am I. Glad everyone is mostly happy/resigned with the outcome.

22. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

What R&C cover was it on? interesting story on it unravelling.

23. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

After reading all the replies, I hope I didn't stir up the boiling pot, the history of it just sparked my interest, 'tis all.

24. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

So I'm dickin' off at work, going over my favorite threads, and run across this. I'm just wondering if there is anything new with this car. Is it getting rebuilt? Is it rebar in a chinese dam? Did Ryan get the dash. This thread kinda just fell off the board never to be seen again.

Drew

25. Search for the Roach Rod Revival post I did a month ago or so. I am waiting for the time to redo the whole thing so please leave the post as it is.

FYI, I have the frame and new body on all four wheels right now. Stay tuned!

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I’m way over being upset about this, and now I’m just curious. What became of MilesM’s build? What about FivesDaddy’s?

A little research shows that MilesM doesn’t mention the Roach Rod chassis in his profile and I didn’t find any reference to it in his posts. I don’t see where ElPolacko has talked about it since ‘05, either.

FivesDaddy posted an intro and he’s mentioned as the (as-of-2005) owner of the coupe-come-roadster body with an asserted intent to build a Roach Rod-esque car, but with no posts after that.

What gives?

-Dave

27. Joe (Fivesdaddy) has had some family issues. I talked to him at the first of the year, he said cars are secondary to his family so nothing has been done.

MilesM has kept me busy with plenty of projects. The car sits patiently.

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks ElP, my curiousity is satisfied.

-Dave