Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roach Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superchargednailhead, Feb 1, 2005.

1. I'll even pitch in for the purchase if Ryan gets it.

2. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

It was MilesM's money that bought the "roach rod". If there are changes planned, so be it. I'll have to check the progress of the cars next time in Phoenix.

3. jerry

jerry

I just have to look on my wall to see part of the roach rod! I got the coon tail from Sam in an auction quite awhile ago. Usually take it on runs when I'm going to a big show or out of state show or just out for a cruise when i feel like it.

I gues I'm lucky that i will always have that part of the history of the roach rod.

Long live "5".

I've got faith that all will ork out. I look at as a tribute to the history of the beast!

jerry

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Well, I posted my reply before I read the whole thread. Now I'm sort of like Brootal and Ryan. I've resigned myself to the fact that the Roach Rod is now at another crossroads in it's evolution and I'm trusting those who have control over it's destiny. I've also got a little Bleed in my thoughts and I'll forever mourn the changing of a significant piece of automotive art.
    My take now is to let it take it's course and save my judgement for another day. I certainly think that having ElPolacko involved will help insure that the end result will be SAFE and cool.
    Somehow I just can't get the vision of someone taking Gray Baskerville's '32 roadster or Isky's T and putting a 4w drive chassis and monster mudders under it.

Frank

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

... I really hope the guy does not paint over the dash.. that car (dash) is history. When the HAMB has been around for say 20 or 25 yrs, that car will be historic for what it accomplished. (A group of folks that did not know the owner help pay for his Ego Rama and in exchange he put their names on the dash...

Lets hope the owner cuts the dash out of it (if he plans to paint it) and lets it be auctioned off here...... Even if Ryan does not get the money at least someone on the HAMB will have it..

Much in the same way we helped Sam go on the Ego Rama, maybe we should put together a donation to buy the dash if the owner would consider cutting it out. I'll donate toward the purchase of the dash if the dash goes to Ryan. Sam sold it and could have removed it but he chose to let it go as is. (I asked to buy the dash when the car was forsale but Sam did not want to cut it out) so if the Dash is to be donated, then to Ryan it should go.. If it is cut out and put up for Auction to any person, then its open for purchase and like RaceFab, I would like to have it for my wall. Its History....

with that said, Its not our car and only the new owner can decided what he wants to do to it..

6. 46stude

46stude

Sam is one of my "HAMB heros", & I see theres still no word from Sam himself on this matter. I'd feel better knowing his stance on the Roach Rod being parted out right now. It was his car, I remember him not really relishing the thought of eBaying it, & how satisfied he'd seemed when it sold to a fellow member. Are you out there, Sam? :confused:

7. I was a street racing 22 year old... going to college and had no money.

I came across this dude down in Fresno, where I was going to school, that had a bitchen '66 Nova wagon for sale.

He wanted like $1600 for it... and I wanted it BAD.

I was thinking about how I could dupe all the local racers with an 11 second wagon... I was always a sucker for a good joke, and go to great lengths to play them... and this... this would be good.

But I didn't have the cash... I had a bitchen motor and trans... a job, and the know-how... but I only had $800 in 1992 dollars to buy a light chassis to race.

Six months of haggling and he came down to $1200...

Then I found a two door hard top that was wreaked in the front for $400 and bought it.

I worked on it, sold parts off it... traded, made money during the summer... but still needed a front end.

I called "Dave" up... "hey, do you still have the wagon for sale"

"yes"

"I know it's a nice car, and I'd REALLY like to own it... but I only have $800"

"consider it sold!"

So my younger brother Matt and I drive down to buy it.

My intention was to drive it home, and have it parted out by Monday morning... call up Pick-N-Pull and have the HULK hauled off to the dump.

Which I did.

A damn shame too... white paint, nice red interior, factory v8, AC, PS... no dents, original paint... dog dish hub caps... nice glass, no rust.

We show up at 7am... hand the guy the cash... then expect to be on our way.

Dave then runs into the house and grabs a camera.

"I want to get your guyses picture!"

Matt looks at me with that "look" like:

"holy crap, you're killin' me Smalls"... "Sam's just going to part this cherrie pie out!"

'Cause I was.

He takes a few pictures and says "I'm sure glad someone is going to fix up dad's old car... he LOVED this car!"

-Insert sound of Matt swallowing/gulping-

Then he says:

"I told my mom that we would sell pop's wagon within a year of him passing..."

-insert several quick glances between Sam and Matt... no sound-

"Do you boys know what today is?"

Uh...

"One year ago TODAY... my dad passed away"

After the ride home with the AC blowing... all I remember is Matt saying at some point:

"Holy sweet-Jesus Sam!! We're goin' straight to HELL for this one!"

-insert long quiet pause/uncomfortable silence-

To which I replied:

"Fuck it... gimme that impact wrench..."
    -Sam

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Well said Sam.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

VERY well said!

10. And for the record... I sit here, dissapointed mostly... and yet a little excited to see what they do with the parts...

I'll go $200 on the dash... and it goes to Ryan... the guy has done a lot for us.

Sam.

11. Hey cut it with the "well saids"... eternity in HELL for hacking up a wagon ain't something to be admired! Hahahahaha!! :)

I love you guys,
    Sam.

12. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

There you have it, boys.
    That is what we do with cars.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sam hell is to good for those that cut up a long roof..

I'll add $50 to Sams donation if Ryan gets it..

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sam, Good to see you posting on this and a big attaboy for your attitude. I'm sure that a lot of folks on here will be more comfortable with this if it has your seal of approval. I know I'm one. Still I hope you're not upset with those of us who voiced a negative response to seeing your old car parted out so to speak.

Frank

15. mr.midnite

mr.midnite

Shit, a kool story that made me smile! Sam, I'll match ya on the dash & it goes to Ryan just because,

Robert

16. I don't think I'd go as far as saying it has my seal of approval... but I'm a big enough man to be able to disagree with my friends.

I count ElPolacko and Miles as friends... I am interested to see what they do with the parts... bummed, yes... interested, yes too.

It's like knowing your daughter is gonna GET banged "like a screen door in a windstorm" on her wedding night...

Ya like your new son-n-law and all... but gawdammit... can't they just HUG and KISS!

Sam.

17. skipstitch

skipstitch

I've tried to refrain from giving an opinion on this post all day... but Sam, you just made my day with the above comment.... Stitch

18. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

I would go another $25 on the dash for either one of them to get it. Maybe more if I can keep up my weekend work..

19. hatch

hatch
    from house

It's not my money or car, and I didn't help build it.....so I really have no opinion on the roachrod....NOW...Fuelpumps 37 is a different story. I agree it didn't do the ego rama or achieve fame and fortune, but it was (in my eyes) the first 37 ford hotrod I can remember.....

Goodluck El P....you build bitchin stuff and I'm sure this will be a killer car if you have any say in the build.

20. Sammy you made my day. Made me laugh out loud and thats something thats been much needed. I will keep everyone up to date with both halves of the car when updates are warranted.

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Wow, Bob. Talk about insight. I think you hit the nail squarely, buddy.

"I just bought this Picasso, see , and I'm gonna redo it. The paint I'll sell, and I'll keep the canvas and probably redo it."

What's being done is almost as dumb as that I think. A continuation in the evolution of a car is one thing. This is something else. Even if it will be a special car when it's done, as ElPolacko contends.

What's being undone is almost certainly more important than what will be done.

And I don't care if Sam has come to terms with it. I haven't. Call me a Dork, Fundamentalist, Romantic, Frustrated Historian, whatever, I don't like it.

22. Just start a new dash. Hell i start the damn thing with my bucket. Which by the way 95% of parts on the damn thing came from the HAMB. You cant get better than that.

23. ... I heard the news way back in December...

Anyway.

Everyone knows that when a car changes hands, it's the new owners to do with what he wants... we may not like what they do, or "approve" of it... but what's gonna happen is what's gonna happen.

Now I built the car, and know it better than anyone... it was the funnest, cheapest thing I ever built. I had the time of my life building AND driving it. And being sent on the Ego-Rama by you guys put it over the top! But unfortunately, I got into a financial bind when I built the BFD... I was SUPPOSED to be spending that summer working on a customer's truck... instead, I instigated a challenge, and had to follow through... the sale of the RR paid for that mistake... I don't expect to get any sypathy for that mistake... shit happens.

Sooooo... what would be a cool thing to do with the Roach Rod's body?

My opinion? (as if it matters)

First off... I think it would be cool if the grille shell stayed with the car... build a new insert, lower it an inch or inch and a half... and keep it in the same spot it was when it was on chassis #1.

Build a perimeter frame that looks like a roll pan... rear transverse spring, wishbone rear, same as before... but a dropped axle up front.

Cowl steering.

Full hood with louvers... interior... Bell steering wheel... same wheels and tires.

Mike Bishop had A TON to do with the original design of the car... and these were some ideas we'd tossed around over the years...

I think a lot of the charm of the car came from the stance, and placement of all the parts around that body. It's a little wider than a normal roadster because the rear end came out of an F-100... it's not too low, not too high... and not too long or too short... all this adds to the look and feel of the car.

The new owner and Steve can take all my ramblings as ramblings... like I said before, it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Oh... and paint it black... nice shiney black.

Sam.

24. Sam, you are closer than you know.

25. =mike=

=mike=

Personaly I am pretty excited to see how it reincarnates this time . it was fun watching it come together the first time , and I'm sure it will be just as cool watching the new build .

26. Oh, and make the doors open... or at least straighten out that kink in the belt line that you see when you look at it from the rear.

If I find a nice '23 Coupe door... could I trade ya for that ol' bullit hole riddled one with the 5 on it?

Sam.

27. MattStrube

MattStrube

I forgot about the Wagon and the guy dying and everything, I have the worst memory sometimes. We sure as hell stripped the hell outa that car, one of the headlight bezels went on my 66 Nova.

The thing that made that little car with the 5 on the door so special wasn't the body, it wasn't the ahem, 283, it wasn't the Porche seats nor the ammo box glove box, it wasn't even the signature by Alex Xadius (spellin?) or the "HAMB" dash. What made that car for ME was the trip with my brother from LA to Phoenix and all the good times we had. It was making my first trip down the strip in a roadster thinking, man if this thing flips I'm dead. It was the experiences two brothers had doing what car guys love doing, driving and just shutting the fuck up, no radio, no heat, just a couple of guys soaking up the breeze and the sounds of raw power down the road. It was meeting new people and making them laugh and wonder why these two idiot Strube guys don't have their own TV reality show? That's what the car means to me, and that's what it will always be regardless of where the dash, engine and body end up. I'll always have those memories and they're worth far more than that hunk of metal named the Roach Rod. What are your memories of the car? Rember those, and be happy for those who are excited to make their own new memories.

28. McFly

McFly

If the only thing that is changing is the body...why not put the dash in the new body? Then it will still be in the HAMB family!

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That there is called relevance fellas...

30. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Well said.