Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roach Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superchargednailhead, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Link, Shut The Fuck Up!

2. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

First of all I did not call anyone out of there given name or insult anyones intelligence. What I did do was render on OPINION. This is a free country and I am allowed to do as I please, much like said owner of the Roach Rod. I am not trying to lay claim to the car or tell anyone what to do with their property or money, but if I have an opinion I will say it. But YOU know what they say about opinions RIGHT Tman...

3. Kinda reminds me of the "Rocky33" Drama.......good ol' HAMB.;)

4. Antibilly

Antibilly

I say good for HIM!! I dont care what ya say you will or wont do. when that titles in your hand its YOURS and you can do with it as you please
    sure you wont make everyone happy, but hell I do that already

5. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Right back at ya' big guy. Sorry I ruffled so many feathers with my OPINION.
    Jesus Christ...

6. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I agree that I think it is a shame that the car is being parted/ redone/ substantially changes. The Roach Rod going to the first EgoRama was a big part of the HAMB.

Things change and people become more and less involved with this place. But at the time, SamIyam was here all the time. We watched, and he taught as that car was being built. I learned a lot of cool stuff. When news of this EgoRama thing that R&C was going to do, SamIyam said he wanted to give it a try.

When the Roach Rod got accepted and SamIyam found out he would be a little short on cash to make the trip, the HAMB kicked in. Several of us sent donations to SamIyam to help fund the trip so he could go represent himself, the HAMB, and traditional hot rodders.

Seeing the dash posted her for the first time with mine and so many other names on it was super cool. Made me feel like I contributed. Even though it was in the smallest of ways.

That is why I'd like to see the car the way it was. Because I liked things the way they were. And I think that car will be looked back on as one of the leaders of the new generation of old school.

Edit: I agree that it is the owners car, and he can do with it whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

MilesM, you probably don't realize it, but you just burned the HAMB flag.
    That car embodied the soul of the HAMB for a couple years.
    There's a reason it has so many signatures on that dash.
    You're right, it's your car, you can do what you want with it.
    Just don't be suprised that some on here don't like seeing it get redone.
    ESPECIALLY to make an LA Roadster's approved blingmobile out of it.

8. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

The ONLY constant in life,is change................
    Like Time..........
    It is a evolution and you can not stop it or change it.
    What was the Roach Rod before it became the Roach Rod?
    A pile of parts scattered over the country..........
    Because of a vision,look at what it became.
    Someone else has the vision now........
    I can't wait to see what he has planned for it.

9. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

buzzard, thank you for so elloquently starting what my poor "ignorant" mind was thinking at the time I saw this post.

10. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

What a fucking stupid thing to do.

It would be easier and probably safer to build a new frame for a 27 body than to modify the existing Roach Rod frame.

That car should stay together....... The problem with our forefathers is they destroyed most of the origional Hot rods, by updating them.... I realise it's all a part of it, but the reason survivors are so specail is because they survived....

The Roach Rod was a great car that showed the average Joe he could have a real hot rod on the cheap... It was a truly special little car, and one of the most important HOT RODS of this generation....

I could completly understand progress for the car... Paint, interior, details etc. But to split it in half is really fucking dumb.

Esspecailly since most of the components on that car could be had really cheap.

Alot of you guys complain about the scene, how it's changed, how there is a bunch of posers etc.. and to some extent it's true.... But this movement we are a part of is still gaining momentum.

We are LIVING through a special time, we need to respect it. If our forefathers would have had such insite, imagine the Hot Rods that would still be around.

There is a Handful of cars that, if they survive, will be important icons of our generation. The Roach Rod was one of these cars for sure.........

This sucks.

11. MilesM

MilesM

Not suprised but the above comment is a big leap.

12. these kind of statements grill my cheese. You don't know what our intent is because we haven't told you yet. So all of you, pull you panties out of your ass and just take it easy for a while. MilesM, Joe and I know exactly what we are doing. Not that we need your approval but you will like the changes made.

Yeah, we aren't going to "preserve" the original (read last changes made by Sam) car, all of your cars even Bleeds have changed over the years.

13. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

I think people are just disapointed. I have no personal stake in the car, and I believe people should do what they want with there property, but you can still be disappointed when a magazine cover car, with name recognition is changed from what it was. I think peoples reaction is from the fact that it will never be the same. I wouldn't do it, but it has been done, ask Roy (Racer5c) how it feels. His dad's car a well documented car in its own right was changed and made into the Art Chrisman's No. 25 car. Its beautiful a car, but it is sad that the history of Roy's dad's record setting El Mirage car has been lost to some degree.

14. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

As historic as the car may be, the facts are someone bought it and has the right to do with it what he wishes.

Where were all the people crying about it when it was for sale.

The Grabowski T, which has more signifigant history the the roach rod was re-done in the late 60's as a twin blown show car bearing no resmeblence to the original, but the owner did what he wanted.

Sam got the $$ he wanted, the guy got the car he wanted, to do with what he wanted, even if we don't agree with it, it's not ours...

15. Steve

Steve

I can see this post getting real long. Some of the great tech posts that wewre on this board back in the day came from the buildup of that car. I am interested though to see what will be done.

16. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

This is the reason I like to never see cars after I sell them again. The problem is once you sell it, the next guy can do whatever the hell he wants. I've seen this car quite a few times before I know of the HAMBS existence(pre computer days) and had no idea it was so special. The car belongs to someone new and we have no sayso it what he does to it, He could cut it in to a deck of sheetmetal playing card because it his now. Oh well. RIP.
    Drew

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hot Rod Fundamentalists are DORKS.

18. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

fun·da·men·tal·ism (fŭn'də-mĕn'tl-ĭz'əm)
    n.
    A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

Guess, I'm a dork...

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Guess so. Haha. You and Bleed both.

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

21. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Grim if you look deep inside you may have a bit of dork in you to... :)

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't live anywhere near the Cheaters. It's Bleed that has the little dork in him.

23. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Can't argue that...

24. ray

ray
    from colorado

that must be kinda like seeing another man fuck your old girlfriend. you know it's gonna happen, but you sure as fuck don't wanna see it!

25. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

"The chassis is getting lengthened a bit and will recieve a new hood and possibly a bellypan and (GASP!) paint and upholstry! We are shooting for the LA Roadster show."

My bad ElPolako, I thought the above quote was you telling us what you guys were going to do with it.

I didn't like it when Tex Smith had to paint his roadster to get it in the LA Roadsters show either. At least they slipped the shiney paint rules a bit and allowed him to save the signatures on that hood.

Like I said, it's your car, do what you want.
    I just pointed out that you guys pulled the pin on a grenade and it might get a bit noisy around here. Take it or leave it.

26. Thats sick ray, I am sure I buried her deep enough in the woods.

27. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I'm not a dork, I'm a Romantic.

28. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

When Sam took a pile of parts and put together a running driving car, it was KOOL!

When Sam took donations from the HAMB and competed in the Egorama, it was KOOL!

When Sam decided to sell the car, it was his decision and that was KOOL!

When the new owner saw a pile of parts and decided to do something with them, It is Kool!

Those who want to preserve history should buy the car, building, or what ever.

Those who want to criticise, that is your perogative.

Those who would not have or did not step up, really do not have a legitment gripe coming.

Elpoloka said to trust him, I do..

MilesM is, I hope a friend. I trust him.

Sam had his fun, and moved on.
    The car would only have survived under his care.

If I had bought it, I would have done as I damn well pleased, and YOU would have too!. Wouldn't you?

Christian likes this.
  29. Hi, I'm the producer of car-related reality TV-shows, can I buy the rights to this thread?

30. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Ya know that really sucks. Is nothing sacred:confused: