Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riv Switch Pitch wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Nov 27, 2011.

1. erock805

erock805

I am trying to get my kickdown and switch pitch operational in my 65 Riv. Need your help. Not sure what wires goto this thing and where the other wires are supposed to goto. I have been through the service manual with no avail as well as searched on here. Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

Seems like there is a two pronged plug and three wires. I dont have a plug laying around in the engine compartment, nor do I now where the plug goes that I am holding in the picture. Btw that plug comes from the linkage. Any help with this would greatly be apprecated.

2. squirrel

squirrel

the black and white paired wires go to the transmission, right?

What do you meany by "Btw that plug comes from the linkage"? maybe if you could zoom out and take a picture that shows the rest of the yellow wire? is it just the same wire that's attached to the switch? If so, then you probably just need to connect it to power from the fuse panel, look around for a cut off yellow wire somewhere...

3. erock805

erock805

The black n white and white wire go down the back of the motor. I need to jack it up and see if they connect to the trans. The yellow wire loops around and is in my hand. From the pics I have seen another plug fits on to the two brass spades on that same connecter.

Seems like an awful lot of wires on this thing.

4. squirrel

squirrel

an awful lot of wires...yeah..right....have you looked under the hood of a modern car? :)

This wiring diagram shows only the yellow wire and the two to the transmission. Could be that some cars used the extra switch and some did not. I'm guessing the other missing switch you're talking about having seen on other cars is a micro switch in the throttle linkage, but I could be wrong.

of course this diagram is for the wrong car....I should go look and see if I have one for the 65 riv, but I kind of doubt it.

[​IMG]

5. erock805

erock805

So does that thing say the yellow goes to power? Kinda goes to that block thing...which I am guessing is powered...thanks for your help on this Jim.

6. erock805

erock805

I saw this somewhere you can see the plug hooked up.

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

Some cars had a microswitch in the throttle linkage, it would turn "on" when your foot is off the pedal, but as soon as you apply pressure to the pedal, it turns "off". The idea is that it switches the converter to high stall speed when you are sitting stopped in traffic in gear, to keep from creeping. As soon as you start driving (push on the gas pedal), it switches back to low stall. But if you give it more than half throttle it switches to high stall (using the switch that you have), and at full throttle it kicks down into a lower gear using the kickdown solenoid. You don't really need the microswitch thing if you don't have it. I think only certain models had it. The 65 skylark I had years ago with the 300 V8 and ST300 trans did have it.

The yellow wire also provides power to the wipers, so look in the wiring back there by the wipers/distributor area and see if you can find the single yellow wire with a mating connector, or else a cut off yellow wire.

8. erock805

erock805

Yeah I thought on that schematic one wire black was switch pitch and one wire white was the kick down. Both wires were disconnected at the trans so I hooked those up. Gunna look thru my stuff and see if I can come up with the wot button. Or could I use a momentary switch instead.

9. squirrel

squirrel

The switch you have now is the one for WOT. The other switch is for idle.

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The other two terminals hood up to the micro switch on the accel linkage. That switch is not necessary just makes it nice at stop signs.

By the way erock, that picture is the 401 in my '50 Chevy Sedan Delivery. Heres a bigger pic.
    [​IMG]

11. squirrel

squirrel

you could run two wires from those terminals to a toggle switch inside the car, then you can switch it to high stall any time you want

12. erock805

erock805

Thanks again...Prolly gunna try that. Although this thing spins the tire off the line with ease anyway.

13. erock805

erock805

BTW thanks LOBUCROD. bet that hauls

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I installed a push button switch through the hole in the floorboard that the clutch pedal lever used to go through. I can push it with my left foot anytime I want the converter to switch to high stall. And it gives my left foot something to do since i have an auto. :)

15. squirrel

squirrel

heh...I usually need high stall when my left foot is on the brake, and my right foot is on the gas

I have a toggle switch on the shifter

16. erock805

erock805

I gotta come up with a cool easy to use one that is descrete...toggle would make it easy too instead of a momentary...

Thanks again guys.

17. Small world, erock. I have a switch pitch trans in my Tall T and wanted to hook up a gearshift knob with a toggle. I'm going to have one of these made custom through my gearshift knob company. Instead of reading "Go Baby Go" I'm going to have it say "Switch Pitch" and make it color matched to my interior. I'd be most interested in understanding how to hook it up. Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 7.40.52 AM.png

18. squirrel

squirrel

is that a momentary push button? Or will it toggle on with one push, and off with the next?

19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hooking it up is the easy part. Fused hot wire from ignition circuit to the switch then run a wire from the switch to the terminal on the trans that's tied to the solenoid to switch the pitch.

20. If it's a TH400 switch-pitch, does that under-dash switch also control the WOT kickdown? :confused:

squirrel likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

there are two separate wires on the SP transmission, one for kick down, the other for the torque converter. You could run both of them to shifter buttons, for extra fun.

22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I used a momentary switch in my 61, 409.
    I had an old series 60, B&M shifter. I put the pushbutton on the shifter box so that with my hand on the shifter (manual shift T-400), it was easy to push the button with my little finger when I wanted.

I actually got good at it, made the T-400 trans. into a 6 speed..!
    1. Push the button while in first gear.
    2. Let up on the button, first gear.
    3. Push the button, at the same time as shifting into second.
    4. Let up on the button, second gear.
    5. And so on...
    6. And so on...

Actually, third gear with the button pushed and without, wasn't very noticeable...there, just not as dramatic as in 1st. and 2nd.

Mike