Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP-Steve Avilla

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Mar 17, 2011.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

Third Generation Fremont,Ca native and long time Hot Rodder Steve Avilla passed away yesterday at the age of 52 of a massive Heart Attack.He was one Hell of a nice Guy and a good friend of mine and many others in the Hot Rod world.I will truly miss you brother..:(:mad:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Wow, that's my age, way to young to go, R.I.P.

3. Safe passage steve

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yeah way too young for sure..Still in shock over here..

5. big creep

big creep

my your friend rest in peace!

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I didn't know him, but name sounds familiar for some reason. Sad to hear no matter what and definitely too young. RIP and condolences to his family.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I met Steve in High School where he drove a 56 F-100 and his 32 Plymouth coupe. the F-100 is gone but he still had the Plymouth after all these years. if there was a swap meet within 100 miles Steve would always be there, usually selling what appeared to me to be the same items he had at the last swap... I think he liked swaps for the social aspect rather than the money.

I hadn't talked to him for a while and just went by his house the other week to show him my new truck but he was not home.:(

he will be missed by many on the Bay Area HOT ROD community, that's for sure

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. M.Edell

M.Edell

He was a cool guy for sure..for the last decade it seems hes been driving that Dodge Dart 4 Door Swinger around with a For Sale sign in the window.I used to give him all sorts of shit about that car and his asking price of $3800, he just liked the car but wouldnt admit it..lol.My wife and I would always bump into him somewhere in Fremont it never failed.I will miss the long conversations with him at the Swap Meets and Shows...Damnit...not fair...

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

HA HA! the ugly lime green Dart. you sure don't walk by that car and not notice it. he sold a bunch of those Darts for more than I ever thought they were worth... before that it was Pintos and Mustang II's.

Steve was the kind of guy that couldn't walk 20 feet at a show or swap without having someone stop him to say hi.. many times we'd chat for 10 minutes and go our seperate ways to find more parts or look at more cars and I'd look back and he'd be stopped talking to somene else.

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably from HEMI32's great photo threads about Andy's Picnic from back in the day.

Us old farts have all lost at least one great buddy through the years. It leaves a big void, you lose a part of yourself that you'll never recover.
    Sorry for ya'lls loss.

11. M.Edell

M.Edell

Steve would hang out at Fremont Machine Shop and get work done there sometimes..old Curt Stiles(RIP) and him would go at it..It was a like a Comedy routine..lol..

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

They are supposed to be having some sort of memorial service at the Goodguys show for him next weekend in Pleasanton..I dont have any more details though...

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Curt passed??? that was the first machine shop I ever went to. I made the mistake of going in saying I wanted to get a motor rebuilt... he gave me a big lecture on the difference between rebuilt and overhauled.

I liked that shop.. Curt had a poster of Suzanne Somers showing her boobs.

14. M.Edell

M.Edell

LOL..Oh man thats so Curt..Yeah he passed away in December of 2008..His wife had a big gathering of all his freinds in their backyard up at the house..Steve was there..lots of people..was a great time time, great BBQ!

15. Like @49ratfink, I first met Steve in High School ... and over the years we became good friends.

His '32 Plymouth PA Coupe & '56 F-100 were fixtures of the Bay Area Rodding scene in the late '70s & early '80s.

Steve also worked for Harold "Baggy" Bagdasarian at the Oakland Roadster Show (GNRS) in the '70s & '80s.

Although his ('80s Street Rod) Deuce 3wd isn't very HAMB friendly, Steve's love of old cars (including Traditional Hot Rods & Customs) made him a very HAMB friendly guy in my book ... and I'm honored to have called him my friend.

Here's a few "Steve Avilla" pics from my archives ...

... Andy's Picnic 1975:

Steve Avilla's '32 Plymouth PA Coupe @ Andy's Picnic '75.jpg

... Merced Nats 1985:

32COOPY heading to Merced - August '85.jpg
    Steve Avilla - 32COOPY Radiator Puke - Merced August '85 .jpg
    32COOPY's Coors trailer - Merced August '85.jpg

... Nor-Cal Deuce Day 1994:

HEMI32 & 32COOPY @ NorCal Deuce Day - Stafford Lake Park, Novato - September '94 - 1.jpg
    HEMI32 & 32COOPY @ NorCal Deuce Day - Stafford Lake Park, Novato - September '94 - 2.jpg

R.I.P. "Agent 796" :(

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  16. M.Edell

M.Edell

Right on man..Thanks!

17. big bad john

big bad john

.......Looks like he had a rich life with lots of friends, R.I.P. Steve.....

18. Chuck R

Chuck R

Steve was a friend, neighbor and true hot rodder. I saw him often, and miss him already. Let's all say a prayer or what ever you do for Steve, and while your at it, add one for his parents. On my morning walk I passed his parents house and saw his truck, seeing it brought it all to reality. This is so sad, he was to young. Steve RIP
    chuck

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thanks Chuck.

20. M.Edell

M.Edell

The last time I seen him, I told him I moved to Castro Valley and he said he was working at Acme auto Parts in Hayward and gave me his card and said you should stop by and we can go to Lunch sometime.I had been meaning to drop by since Acme is just down the hill from me, but never got a chance.I'm only 39 this year but I called Kaiser the day I heard he passed away and scheduled a physical for Monday afternoon...

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

23. Sorry to hear, RIP Steve....my thoughts and prayers to the family and to all his friends.

24. choke

choke

I worked with Steve at the old Truck Stop parts shop in Burlingame back in the early 80's. He was a good guy and never had a bad thing to say about anyone. Definitely a hardcore street rodder, he'll be missed. R.I.P. Steve

25. Steve Avilla
    [​IMG]
    Steve "Coopy" Avilla
    Mar. 25, 1958-Mar. 16, 2011
    Resident of Fremont, CA

Steve Avilla (Coopy) died on March 16, 2011 in Fremont at Kaiser Hospital after a short illness. Born in Alameda on March 25, 1958. He leaves his mother Myrtle, his sister Phyllis Klicker and her husband Greg, and his long time love Debbie Alga. His father Tony passed on April 30, 2010.

Steve worked for his mom and dad at Fleury Trucking starting at the age of 15 years. Then owned his own gravel trucks and called the company Blue Deuce after one of his treasured cars. The site was on Central Ave. in Fremont where the new firehouse now stands.

He is a graduate of Washington High School, Class of 1976. He loved people and didn't think that so many loved him back. He enjoyed and was proud of the history of Fremont and would spend many hours with others talking about it.

A big Giant's fan he was so happy going to all the games, especially the World Series. He worked at Keith's Collectibles, Bite and Browse, and the Goodguys Rod and Custom Shows.

The family wishes to thank his many friends who have helped us through this most difficult trying time.

A memorial service will be held at the Goodguys Rod and Custom Show at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds on Saturday, March 26 at 1:00pm.

Donations may be made in his memory to the San Francisco Little League to benefit the Challenger Program, 2521 Judah Street, San Francisco, 94122 or to the Junior Giants, Giants Community Fund (Tax ID #94-3200061), ATT Park, 24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, 94107, for more info call 1.877.JR.GIANT.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  26. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Sorry to hear this info. I didn't know him but he sounds like a cool guy. Giants fan and a hot rodder. What the 'F' else could be cooler. :)

R.I.P.

Brian

27. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thanks "Hemi32" for bringing this back to the top...See you guys Saturday in Pleasanton I hope..

28. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

RIP Steve, passing too soon sucks , sincere condolences to his friends & familly.

29. Thats to bad - Way to young... :(

30. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

sincere condolences to all that knew him.