Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RIP: Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. Crankhole

Crankhole

I knew somethin' was up when they stopped sending me free issues long after my subscription had expired. :D

2. chop32

chop32

Source Interlink shows 40 automotive magazines on their site...the new Org chart is difficult for these old eyes to read, but seems to contain 35-38 magazines...R&C and PHR arent there, not sure which others, if any, were dropped.

3. DrJ

DrJ

My subscription is until Nov 2018.
    I want my money back at news stand prices!

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I remember when it came back again. Print publications have changed in a big way since the internet. That is one magazine I will miss.

5. BJR

BJR

What happens to our subscriptions now, do we get money back or? I'm paid up till November 2017!

6. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'm going to miss it. It seemed to be a compromise between Ads and articles and I though made for some good reading,unlike StreetRodder which was way over the top in Ads.

7. I count 26 on the new chart.

8. Here's a larger version of the org chart... Click Here

9. Car Craft.
    Automobile.

10. Car Craft is still on the Org Chart.

11. That is sad new's, I guess I can throw my renewal letter out.

It will be missed.

12. Old list from Wikipedia:

13. Didn't see it under Muscle Cars.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Very sad to hear, but I'm one of the people responsible for it going away..........I haven't bought a magazine in years. Print media in general is in trouble in this country, we buyers just don't buy any more, instead, we use things like this screen in front of me right now.

Rod and Custom was always one of my favorites though, and I am truly sorry to see an Icon disappear. :(:(

Don

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The reader is not the customer. The advertiser is... And traditional print advertising is neither trackable or particularly effective these days. This, in my opinion, is the crux of the problem.

The only way to have a profitable and print based media outlet these days is to focus not on the advertiser, but on the reader. You have to provide exclusive content in a tactile package. You have to really understand quality and value. You have to have actual passion. You have to love what you are doing... because at the end of the day, you can't expect gold at the end of this rainbow.

It's a sad deal for sure... But it's been coming for a long time now. The future of that particular corporate umbrella is very dim.

16. I suspect like any other magazine that succumbs to a publisher of multiple titles you are SOL.

Rodders Digest,American Rodder,Hot Rod Mechanix to name a few I got hosed on over the years
    and now Rod & Custom.:rolleyes:
    HRP

17. chop32

chop32

Thanks SoCalCarCulture...Wow, my eyes are bad. Unkl Ian is right...only 26 mags on the chart

18. First one

19. I'll second that!

joeycarpunk likes this.
  20. skoh73

skoh73

Fucking bastards! Right after they nail me for $30 for a two year renewal. Fur is gonna fly...

21. That stinks.... One of the only things I liked to pull out of the mailbox was R&C.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've lived through a couple of revivals of R&C and have every issue with the exception of a few of the very first ones. Kept my fingers crossed for the last couple of years thinking this might happen. Sad doesn't even begin to cover it.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. I think Neal East is on the HAMB. I would love to hear his thoughts on this. Anyway I have his old coupe.:rolleyes:

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So is Pat Ganahl…. I'd like to hear both men.

25. metalman

metalman

Sad indeed but I'm not surprised. R&C use to be my favorite mag but I admit I quit buying it several years ago. I not like I didn't like the content, just wasn't enough of it for the money. I have a problem dropping $5 or $6 bucks for a magazine and reading everything of interest to me in 15 minutes after I get home with it. At least with Rodder Journal, sure, it cost quite a bit more but it takes a couple weeks for me to get threw it all, maybe cause it's big and doesn't have "how to" articals showing how to bolt on store bought stuff.

26. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Not bad, this time they only took me for 2 years prepaid subscription, last time 3.5 years.

27. 270283

I have read Rod & Custom since the late Fifties, as well as many other hot rodding titles. One thing that always stood out was the proper use of grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. There was always more to them than just the automotive content for a young mind to absorb. I also lament the passing of print media, including our newspapers, but it looks as if it is inevitable. Add me to the list of old guys that won't subscribe to an online edition. One of the many advantages of a hand held magazine is bypassing the ads that don't interest you. Good luck avoiding the onslaught of obnoxious marketing you'll be subject to in an E-zine. Looks like it's the HAMB and TRJ for me.

NOPSI likes this.
  28. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The handwriting was on the wall. I wanted to see the 33 sedan project completed but I don't think that is going to happen.

29. I feel sorry for the workers. The pay wasn't that great but it beats freelancing and unemployment. Wonder what Kev Elliott will end up doing? Long run from the original Rods and Customs:(

30. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

shoot I was just reading the july '14 issue, and there is an editorial with the new ed. kev Elliot and what he had planned sounded great, guess he wasn't in the loop, I feel bad for him.
    I was also hoping to see the conclusion of his 49 chev....
    about the only positive thing about this for me, is now I don't have to find shelf space for new issues... what I have got is what I've got.... sucks though.