Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RIP: Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

Wow what a bummer. I always thought R&C was a good magazine. I literally just renewed for 2 more years this past weekend at the NSRA show in Springfield... at least I got a free T Shirt out of it

2. redo32

redo32

"Don't they know it's the end of the world?"

LAROKE likes this.
  3. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

took down another one @Ryan ?? (kidding of course)

I still picked up the odd issue, and had a subscription last year...I guess thats why they didnt press me to renew. The feature vehicles were still very good, the rest of the content was your typical magazine (buy this part from our sponsor, and bolt it on). Not suprised, but a bit of a shame

King Karl and dana barlow like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hate this stuff,my life just keeps slipping in to0 the trashcan,love my old mags,I was even in Car Craft back jan 63. Its not all on the web an never will be!

Model T1 likes this.
  5. Larry T

Larry T

Jim Hill posted (on the Gas/Fx E-mail group) that Source Media shut down it's east coast headquarters. So I imagine that more than Rod & Custom are going toes up.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    Model T1 likes this.
  6. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Bummer!! My subscription is good for at least another year. Sad to see it go. I liked the magazine.

7. Always my favorite car mag.... I was a subscriber from '63 until the first demise in '71, but the later incarnations were hit-and-miss IMO. I re-subscribed for a while in the late 80s/early 90s but the tech/how-to seemed like it got to be thinly veiled articles touting one of their advertisers latest products and less about building 'real world' hot rods. Yeah, I know that the various editorial staff tried to do more 'real' stuff but corporate meddling always seemed to get in the way. Anyway, it's sad....

8. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

sucks bigtime

9. I will miss this magazine and sad that Tom Medley and Rod & Custom will be gone from my life. They both were there for many years.

10. Sucks! Like a bunch of others on here, I just renewed for 2 yrs. I'm sure that's money down the drain.

11. That is certainly a bummer! :(

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. chop32

chop32

Sad to see R&C go...especially since I'm renewed through December 2015...
    Im thinking that holding my breath for a refund would be a bad idea...

13. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sucks I just renewed, another one bites the dust

14. Larry T

Larry T

Here's a link to Source Internet Media automotive magazines. I don't have a clue as to what will go (if any) and what will stay (if any).

http://ads.simautomotive.com/

15. RamJet1

RamJet1

I wonder what they will offer me as a replacement?
    I really enjoyed R&C, but as for layoffs, they probably only had one full-time employee and an assistant, and a lot of consulting contributors. All of the mag editors have complained about the full-time personnel cutbacks for many years now.
    Sucks, to be sure.

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF Source-Interlink is any kind of decent company (and I doubt they are) they will take what's left of your subscription and send you another "car" mag from their list...but I figure you've just lost your subscription money as has everyone else that subscribed...!!!

R-

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow! just was reading the August 2014 issue today

18. Don't worry guys, it will be back again when this online interweb thingymajiggy fad wears off......

19. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

The only mag I am subscribed to as well. Pretty lame when this happens and you already paid for the magazines. Oh well. I would love to subscribed to TRJ but it's not really in my budget.

20. When magazines used to cater to their readers,
    there was value for advertisers. Now they cater to
    advertisers, and there isn't enough value for readers.
    So they stop buying.

21. I read PHR is gone too.

22. MRpants

MRpants
    from pea ridge

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gee, that's sad news.
    Do they reimburse folks who already have or recently paid for subscriptions?

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You are right about on-line magazine but for me, it's the expensive price of the magazines and yet I don't even read on-line magazines because I prefer the old fashioned ones. Try reading a on-line magazine while doing #2. It just ain't the same.

25. It sucks...it sucks out loud! Reading on a little computer screen is NOT like reading from a book or a magazine. Been a subscriber since 88' when R&C came back. No I will not subscribe to an on line magazine.

26. They proved that when they went bankrupt a few years ago,
    and obviously didn't learn the lesson.

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Iz be pissed. And I better get a refund or alternative rags offered! I'm talking class action! Or are the owners already settled in off shore some place?

Some things I may have missed in the middle parts above. If R&C (and others) is no linger in print, will it continue as web only and we have to suffer reading it without the new mag smell?

Print will never die, IMVHO. It will just get more collectible. Gary

Forgot to add - when it does come back, how about bringing back the "and Model Cars" to the herald, too?!?!?!?

28. Jalopnik just published a new Org Chart that you may want to look at...

Article here

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That really sucks but if you aren't pushing enough of your advertiser's products hard enough they quit advertising and collectively we Hambers aren't much on reading "tech" articles that are thinly masked product pushers. Gennie steel Model A bodies on Original Ford build Deuce rails with Nailhead engines and 39 boxes along with 35 wires and a dropped "heavy" axle don't get advertisers pushing the latest street rod pieces very excited.

Looking down their list of Magazines the put out I see a number of 4X4 rags along with a number of Diesel pickup rags that are all about 70% add content with the features prominently displaying the advertisers products and decals. Guess where the effort to produce print magazines is headed.

30. johnod

johnod

That sucks, my fav. car mag, have a sub till 2015 too.
    I'll miss that mag.

Are they done or , are there a few more months?