Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RIP: Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. chigger

chigger

I find it ironic the Sept issue contains multiple subscription cards...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Yeah, me too. My September issue was filled with three subscription cards. Two were loose and one was stapled in the crease. Maybe they changed their mind? Ha yeah right..

DrJ likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here's an idea... R&C should send us all some stickers / decals of the magazine's herald. Possibly with some mention of us loyal readers going down to the last issue with them. Free, of course. Or a T in the right size? Gary

PS... the reason I ask, and if you hadn't done the search already, is tha all of the R&C stuff on ebay has skyrocketed in price!!!

4. Sage

Sage

Yeah...how about they send me one saying I was a 'Charter Subscriber'.
    I guess my complete collection (from 1989 at least) will now be worth more. Well, at least to my wife when I kick the bucket.

5. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Don't people realize that once magazines and books fade away from print and become internet only they can constantly change the info or erase it. As if it never exist. Just because it is on doesnt mean it will be there forever like a actual book or mag. Keep print alive

Jeem and Gary Reynolds like this.
  6. I don't get it. Car auctions see huge crowds (and dollars) and tv coverage, unheard of when I was a kid. And shows like frog follies and back to the 50's see massive attendance. Yet I agree, it seems like so much of what I like about rodding is fading away, like the great shops, suppliers, and media. I'll miss RC but I'll lament more what it means to the hobby.

7. I was a long time subscriber to both Rod & Custom and Popular Hot Rodding , which goes back to the early sixties. This is a real kick in the ass. My R&C subscription is still good till May of 15' and my Pop. Rod good till Sept. 15'. I could care less about Street Rodder. I got rid of it years ago. Too many adds. What I will really miss is Engine Masters also put out by Pop. Rod. It sucks.

8. Last I saw, Engine Masters will survive.

9. skoh73

skoh73

I received another response from the R&C powers that be today. It read:

Thank you, we have cancelled your subscription and requested a refund for the remaining issues. You will receive a refund in the amount of $49.95. You will receive it within 1-2 billing cycles. We apologize for any frustration this has caused.

On a positive note, I took advantage of TRJ's offer to HAMBers to get a back issue for $5 in order to check it out. Their site accidentally charged me twice, so they sent me 2 magazines. WOW! What an incredible magazine! When I get my refund from R&C I plan on subscribing to TRJ.

10. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I received the September issue. There were at least 6 subscription cards inside. They have no shame. Soliciting subscriptions without any notice of changes. Borders on criminal. I cancelled and asked for a refund check. I told subbing other magazines was not acceptable. I'll post something if and when I receive money. Stay tuned.

11. As most magazines are done 3 months or so before they're delivered, I doubt they even knew they were going under at the time the September issue was mailed.

Mick

12. Spoke to R&C Customer Service today. They initially told me that I was sked to receive "Hot Rod" to fulfill my subscription that runs out in 2016. I told 'em that was unacceptable. They then told me that I wud get "Motor Trend." No way! That was also unacceptable. They said those were the only options. I asked for a refund, which they said wud take 2-4 weeks. They sure know how to provide customer service. Not! I will neither buy nor subscribe to any magazine, car-related or otherwise, from this company or any affiliated with them, from here on out. They can KMA!!

13. phat rat

phat rat

Could you pm me the number you used for customer service? Or even put it out here for everyone.
    Thanks

14. Sage

Sage

R&C Subscription Info:
    800-800-7637
    [email protected] (include name, address & phone number in any correspondence).
    Rod & Custom
    P.O. Box 420235
    Palm Coast, FL 32142-0235

Hmmm...7637. Same as the last four digits as Brizio's. 7637=RODS but some folks were too stupid to figure out that it was an 'O' and not a 'Zero' so Roy had to quit using it. <- That right there is trivia.

15. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Just bought two copies of the Sept issue at Barnes and Nobles, one to read one to keep.

16. finn

finn

Face it: We are dinosaurs.

The population is continuing to move from the farm and small towns to the cities, Traffic keeps getting heavier, and the kids have more activities to choose from.

Magazines failed to keep up, just like newspapers and carburetors.

They'll be around for a while, but aren't exactly growth industries like in the 40s, 50s, or 60s.

Change is inevitable, so we adapt.

DrJ likes this.
  17. finn

finn

Ps.

The local newspaper reports that the bookstores are having a fire sale on magazines since Source Interlink distribution folded. Chain stores are selling inventory at 75% off and mom and pop bookstores are dumping at 50% off. I assume that is because Source, being bankrupt, won't be taking store returns for credit.

They are all scrambling to find new distributers.

18. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Here's the scene at my usual magazine rack:

[​IMG]

19. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I received a refund check today in the mail for nearly $60. I cancelled my subscription on May 29th and got the check today.

20. I find it odd that the only options they gave to fulfill the existing sub is either Hot Rod or Motor Trend, since R&C is presumably being absorbed into Street Rodder. Therefore, I would have expected SR to be the first option….and yet it's not even an option at all? Strange.

21. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I wonder which of their magazines will fold next. They could all fold like a house of cards. The advertisers will have to scramble to find a new avenue to get their message out. I have been pleased with RoddingUSA based in New Zealand. The U.S.version features recent event coverage with a number of pages of photos; not just several shots. The magazine is bound; not just stapled. They also offer a digital version. Currently the magazine is only available at select dealers, online or by subscription like Rodders Journal. The monthly magazine available at the news stand may be a thing of the past.

22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I hope you guys are wrong! I was told by R&C that my R&C subscription would be added to my Street Rodder subscription. I agree, I don't want Motor Trend ether!

23. It's the number above that Sage posted. Thanks for putting that out there. I was so livid with the response I got from R&C that I didn't even think to do it. Obviously, with their current customer service model, they haven't learned from their past mistakes.

DrDave - When I spoke to one of the magazine reps at York earlier in the month, he confirmed that R&C was dead as a title, but noted the content wud basically be rolled into Street Rodder. When I asked about the status of my subscription as I had recently renewed R&C, he told me that they wud most likely start sending me one of their lesser titles, e.g., Motor Trend or Hot Rod. When I told him that I wanted Street Rodder instead, he said that probably wasn't going to happen. He further explained that Source Interlink had been losing money by keeping subscription prices real low. They needed money now and were going to raise subscription rates. Street Rodder was one title that was going to get a significant increase in rates, so they weren't likely to offer that to me for the price that I paid to renew my R&C subscription, although arguing with them loudly enough may get me what I wanted. He also said that they wud contact me by mail or email and let me know what they wud be sending in place of the now defunct R&C. I decided to be proactive and contact them instead of waiting to be contacted as I figured if I waited it wud be a done deal and no amount of arguing wud get me what I wanted. It still didn't work in my favor, and I used the argument that I had paid for an R&C subscription. If it was being rolled into Street Rodder, then receiving Street Rodder was like getting the rest of what I had paid for.

woodiewagon46 - I'm hopeful that what you were told is true. It cud be that, if you already have a current subscription to Street Rodder, they will extend it with the unfulfilled R&C issues. My subscription to Street Rodder came up for renewal at the same time as my R&C. I only renewed the R&C.

24. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I let my Street Rodder subscription lapse several years ago. They send me an offer every month since then. That magazine is just full of ads. I'm glad I'm done with that company. Rod and Custom was a pleasant magazine to read with good graphics and content. The bean counters are in control. What a shame.

25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Well, as I posted earlier, they said they would refund my subscription money for my renewal just sent in. They did. Yesterday I received a check for the full amount. There was no argument, no hassle, they did what they said.

26. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

The main reason you got a refund is you did act early and they don't want a class action suit. HAMB members united could hurt them. My only concern is seeing 6 subscription cards in the September issue. I believe that borders on criminal activity. Plus they used the mail to entice us to extend our subscriptions. I received an offer just before this thread started.

27. Sage

Sage

The subscription cards are probably 'blown in' (it's a printing industry term for items that are placed inside a magazine when it's being assembled) and more than likely have nothing to do with either the publisher or the editors. And because it's automated they can just claim, 'we have no control over those things' as far as any claim of fraud goes. Your subscription offer was also probably automatically generated and mailed.

Let's wait and see if they are still pushing a subscription agenda when the October (and final) issue is released. We all need to remember that magazine content is usually written 3 months before we see the issue. People here are claiming that they just received their September issue (and it isn't even July yet). If the publisher knew they were folding R&C maybe they let the editorial staff know so they can say their goodbyes to the readers.

My sub runs until December 2016. My Street Rodder sub ends with the March '16 issue and Hot Rod runs out in August of '17. If they aren't willing to extend either of those subs then I guess I'll need to do some yelling at TEN.

28. finn

finn

They sent me an email 10 days ago stating that my subscription will be fulfilled with Street Rodger as the successor /. replacement.
    Since I already subscribe to SR, my subscription will be automatically extended by the residual T&C remainder, as long as the shipping labels are identical.

If the labels differ they will manually correct and extend if I notify them that I'm receiving duplicates.

Seem like reasonable people and policies.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Word on the street is that Hot Rod is leaving print within 6 months... Will be online and e-zine only.

- From the same source that told me R&C was gone three months before it was announced.

30. Subscriptions, for less than the cost of postage ?

Sounded like a brilliant move, from day one.