Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Jerome, Az Gold King Mine Owner Don Robertson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  2. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Always a nice guy. We usually gave him extra $$ to start the big motor. I think it would be good to go up and hear it run again in his honor.

3. old skoool

old skoool

Sorry to hear this.....Don was a true character! RIP

4. Oilguy

Oilguy

Sad news. We spent a lot of time wandering around that hillside and watching him run that steam powered sawmill. I am looking for my old photos but having difficulty. This photo was taken by my daughter and she had it transferred to a metal backing plate. That is one of Don's Studes.

Attached Files:

5. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

We stopped and saw him on way to L.A. 20160613_091327-1 (Medium).jpg 20160613_091327-1 (Medium).jpg 20160613_090253-1 (Medium).jpg 20160613_090253-1 (Medium).jpg

warbird1 likes this.
  6. My Grandfather used to drive teams of horses in Jerome. Word was that he could turn an entire wagon team around on those narrow streets.

7. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Don was out on the west coast about twenty years ago and had bought a Sears buggy, I don't remember if it was gas or electric, anyway he heard about our ATHS truck show and stopped by, giving rides in his buggy, I had my 47 Peterbilt water truck there at the show and Don makes a couple laps around it looking it over he catches up top me and asks what do you do with that truck, I answered I still work it for some of the contractors in the area, he looked at the truck again and back at me and says it just don't get any better than that, as you guys know Dons admaration for old equipment was over the top.
    In his younger years, and this is his words, I worked for some of the bigger construction co's building hyways and such, unlike others that drank their paycheck I kept mine and eventually bought the Gold King Mine, and then he walked off, another gent and I wondered what the hell he was talking about,we caught up to him a few minutes later and got the rest of the story,being, I mineee the tourists pockets for that foolding gold, an apt discription for the Gold King Mine and all its treasures.
    Don, may he Rest in Peace.

warbird1 and jackandeuces like this.