Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Dale "Suzie Q" Hawkins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Dale Hawkins, best known for his 1957 hit "Suzie Q" (also known as "Suzy-Q"), has died in Little Rock, Arkansas at the age of 73, of complications from colon cancer.
    He had been undergoing treatment at the Arkansas Hospice Center at St. Vincent's Doctors Hospital in Little Rock.

RIP Dale :(

2. Time marches on...I thought he wrote that in 1960, for whatever reason, but it does say 1957.

Great song, in its many cover versions, too.

3. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

RIP dale hawkins, he was one of my inspirations for playing guitar.

4. roddinron

roddinron

Suzie Q, one of my all time favorite songs. He's gone but his music lives on, and he'll never be forgotten.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I still have the original 45 RPM record,I caught the CCR version of it on the car radio last night probably in tribute,R.I.P. Dale. I went to the Link above and signed the petition,He deserves to be there.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  6. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Rest in Peace Dale...

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Bad start to the day,man.His track 'Lulu' is in my top ten greatest R'n'R records ever.
    The Hawk walks R.I.P
    Paul

8. R.I.P. dermott.

9. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

WOW! The incredible coincidence to this story is that a great friend of mine has been fighting cancer for a while as well...her name Susan. She passed this last Friday. I awoke completely from sleep to go to work with no hesitation that day at 5:30 am ..about the same time she quit breathing. I received the call from her husband, also a great builder and friend, while waiting for a to go order st the bar. At once I knew why he had called and couldn't bring myself to answer. Been a tough weekend, but we all know once it gets to that point they're all better off.

Both of them will truly be missed...R.I.P. Dale and little Susie Q

Sorry to hijack

10. farmer12

farmer12

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

R.I.P. Dale !
    We all still love " Suzie Q " ! That song still rocks !
    Thanks Dale Hawkins for all you contributed to the great music we all loved to listened to !

RetroJim

12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I'll have to pull out some of his 45's out of the cabinet. Glad i got to see him. R.I.P.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Major bummer, what are you gonna do? Time marches on.

14. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

They are dropping like flies! This sucks...

15. krooser

krooser

Hawkin's guitarist on Susie Q was James Burton who later played with Ricky Nelson on his early hits then later was the lead guitar player for Elvis.

I played Susie Q more times than I can count in my garage band years... a true classic.

RIP Mr. Hawkins.

16. 067chevy

067chevy

Great song RIP Dale

17. nutajunka

nutajunka

He wore his guitar strap differently in that video for sure. Great song.

18. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I know some might consider these guy just a bunch of bearded Hair farmers but they were a great band for their time, and were majorly influenced by Dale and other early Rockers.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1mxaA-bJ35s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1mxaA-bJ35s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

My Suzie Q rides with me everywhere I go-- she's a 100pound blonde lab/chow mix. Been true and never left me blue for 8 yrs now. Laying on the floor at my feet right now.

R.I.P Dale

20. autobilly

autobilly

CCR, although slightly "updated" had a sound that was unmistakeably pure R'n'R.
    RIP Dale.

21. JamesG

JamesG

We were good friends with him. Did a lot of recording with him at his studio The Hawknest. I guess we lived about four miles apart. We went to his wake tonight and we'll be at the funeral tomorrow at 10am. Very sad.

He was a true pioneer and gentleman.

Rest in peace brother.

22. sobpunx

sobpunx

met my girlfriend at a dale hawkins show a few years back
    r.i.p.