Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Cub Barnett

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Mar 15, 2019.

1. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

I remember seeing his name in the mags long and not so long ago. Thanks Hemi 32 for the great tribute to a legend. RIP Cub, condolences to his family.

HEMI32 likes this.
  2. reagen

reagen

3. I met Cub Barnett when I went back to visit my father, when Cub was still involved with Andy Brizio. Cub was very cordial, and pleasant to talk with. I wish that I had still lived in San Francisco to had gotten to know Cub better.

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. rpm56

rpm56

Wonderful tribute Hemi. On Friday I was at the CHRR checking out the Scotty's Muffler dragster, and was chatting for quite a while with a very nice woman next to me. She knew quite a bit about the history of the dragster, and racing in general. Turns out she was Sharon Barnett, Cub's wife. She is an exceptional lady who I'd felt I'd known for years. Sure wish I had met Cub.

HEMI32 likes this.
  5. toml24

toml24

Barnett's Garage. 1962 oval track hot rod at Orange Show Stadium, Southern California.
    1962-BM-os-unkn-car 10-east.jpg

HEMI32 likes this.
  6. I was looking through some family photos from the late ‘80s today ... and was reminded that Cub also built the engines for @lil' john Buttera’s 1987 Indy Car driven by Sammy Swindell:

Sammy Swindell John Buttera March 87C #59 (Macinists Union - Centerline) Indy Car .jpg

Sammy qualified the (Machinist Union / Center Line sponsored) #59 March 87C racecar in the 33rd position (i.e., "on the bubble") at 201.840 MPH ... unfortunately, with just 20 minutes left before qualifying ended, Ed Primm bumped them off the pole.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    The37Kid likes this.
  7. Had a full life. RIP

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. reagen

reagen