Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ring and pinion pattern?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Timken, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Timken

Timken

Opinions on my pattern please fellas?! Just set up this ford 9"

Thank you in advanced

IMG_3412.jpg [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, check the backlash of the gear (hold the pinion still & shake the gear) to make sure it's within specs. Probably around .008" - .012", but check to see what it should be, according to the manufacturer. If it's not, set to the correct backlash and try it again.

If the backlash is OK, then the pinion is too close to the ring gear. Change the shim .003" to .005" to move it away from the gear, reset your backlash and try it again and see what it looks like. The contact on the drive side of the gear should be a little off the toe of the tooth and centered more on the tooth between the top & root of the gear tooth.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    deathrowdave likes this.
  3. Timken

Timken

Thanks tagman, I will double check my backlash but I believe it was .009. If it is within spec I'll change my shims and get some better marking compound tomorrow and give you an update

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

deathrowdave likes this.
  4. Timken

Timken

My backlash was correct, so I change the shims as you suggested. I'm hoping to have some better marking compound delivered today. This time around I tightened my backlash a bit.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coast side doesn't look bad, but hard to tell on the drive side. How are you exerting a load on the gear as you turn the pinion? You can't really duplicate the "as driven" load, but you should put a good drag on the gear.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Shoot some red oxide primer on the ring gear in three or four places, let dry for five minutes, & read. Washes off with solvent or thinner ...

oj and slack like this.
  7. Timken

Timken

I was just trying to add drag with my hands. I will come up with a way tomorrow to add a good amount of drag and hit it with primer. Thank you for all the help guys.

john karl likes this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If the pinion preload is set, that's enough resistance to read the pattern.

9. I would tend to agree with that.
    You can add a bit more drag by holding your hand and a rag around the pinion flange dust shield or the stem of the flange.. then put a long box wrench on one of the ring gear bolts, and work the carrier back and forth until you see a pattern.

57Custom300 likes this.
  10. Timken

Timken

The pinion preload is set to 15 pounds with the new bearings. I took a weight with the rope and wrapped it around the yoke to add more resistance. As I turn the ring gear it picks the weight up. All I could find is gray primer....nobody in town had actual marking compound. Thank you for holding my hand in this process! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Timken

Timken

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coast side looks good. Only one pic of the drive side and it's hard to see what you have. I'd also like to see a pic of the pinion drive side. The drive side, obviously, is the most important, since 99% of your heavy load & driving time is on that side. Shoot for a good pattern on the drive side and the best you can get on the coast. You have to pretty much accept whatever is on the coast side, since to change them independently would require a change in the cutting & processing of the gear set.

Pre-load on the pinion, is NOT the same as working load on the gear. The greater the load on the gear (from weight of the vehicle upon acceleration, etc). will tend to make the tooth bearing contact spread along the pitch line towards the heel of the tooth. The ideal pattern would be full tooth contact at the heaviest load to support the tooth strength of each member, without any heavy concentration (heavy, dark lines) of load at the top, root, toe or heel of the tooth. It would be very difficult to check the contact pattern under full load, so we try for a contact at the toe, centered on the tooth surface.

Just for your info and to let you know where I'm coming from, I spent 38+ years working for the world's premiere manufacturer of bevel gear equipment (The Gleason Works) and spent lots of time in customer's plants troubleshooting tooth development problems on new ratios.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Off the top of my head but 15 in lbs seems low for new bearings ?

14. Timken

Timken

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not too bad, but I'd like to see it a little more to the toe, so that under load it'll have room to move back towards the heel.

fredeuce likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Almost looks like the pinion needs to go back in just a tad.

17. Timken

Timken

Okay, the last time I added a shim I added two because they were suck together :doh:!!!!!! Sometimes I'm my worst enemy!! Removed one shim and reset back lash to .007.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Some questions about the gear set you are setting up. Is this a new gear set ,or are they used and if so how much?

The reason being that if setting up a used gear set then using the factory lash settings are not appropriate. You will need to set the lash a little more loosely to account for the wear on a used gear set.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point, fredeuce. I had assumed a new set.

20. Timken

Timken

This is a new set. It's a 3.50 gear set if that matters.

21. Timken

Timken

I think I need to pull one more shim based on my last photos, right

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the shims are around .003", I'd agree with you.

23. Timken

Timken

I removed the shim and found one that was .003 thinner. The backlash is .008. I hope this is good! Looks decent...I think[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

302GMC likes this.
  24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks to me like you nailed it, my friend. Congratulations on spending the time & effort to get it right. You should have a nice, quiet set of gears that last a long time.

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You have been instructed correctly , you really need to load the ring gear as much as you can . This will change the pattern drastically.

26. oj

oj

Only thing I'll add is that I hammer the side adjusters in place, don't rely on the torque of the bolts and that little keeper to stay the adjusters. I have a spanner wrench and smack it with a hammer to tighten the side adjusters. They have to be super tight to keep your pattern and BL.

saltflats likes this.
  27. mamllc

mamllc

Late to the game, but this video is the best explanation of R&P set up that I have seen. Pretty consistent with the advice TagMan was giving you. You're done, but maybe it'll help someone else.

SEAAIRE354 and warbird1 like this.
  28. Timken

Timken

Thank you so much guys! I'm going to have a beer and celebrate!

saltflats likes this.
  29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with the video, IF the gear set was developed, cut & processed correctly. To correctly develop tooth contact on each side of the tooth requires lots of time & effort: the cutting head may have to be re-shimmed and / or the cutting machine settings be adjusted. This all takes time. A good contact in the soft, cutting, requires taking into account pattern changes that will occur in the heat treatment or hardening process. Development reuires making cutting changes, hardening, lapping and test driving them in a car or test machine. If the contacts are not right, you try another change. and do it all over again. The process can take weeks and, if it's a small gear company or a foreign company, they may not have the right cutting blades, expertise, time or money to do it right, so they develop the drive side and ignore the coast.

Bottom line, all gears are not made the same, so do your homework, check into the reputation of the manufacturer and don't buy a set of gears based solely on price.

Just my 2¢

SEAAIRE354 likes this.
  30. SS Pete

SS Pete

we used to buy a paste like dark yellow "paint" in an art supply store and used it for setting up gearsets. it was cheap back in the day and worked well . pete.