Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rims on a 60´s custom car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vincent, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Vincent

Vincent
    from Sweden

Hi
    I´m building a mild custom on a -63 buick and can´t decide what kind of rims I want.
    I sure do know that i don´t wan´t astro supremes,chrome reverse,radir rims or anything that common.
    I´m thinking,chromed original steelrims with painted center or maybe a bullit in the center of the rims.
    Or does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of rims i could use??

2. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

skylark wire wheels

3. 50's and into the early 60's customs many times used custom wheel covers.

IE: 54 Buick covers with the red plastic center removed and a two-bar knockoff installed.

Other, not too concave or convex wheel cover with 3-6 Olds Fiesta type 'paddles' installed.

Chrome plated, non-reversed wheels with small hubcap - most times a moon style - installed looked good on most of them.

Some were Olds Fiesta type wheel covers with a gold flake painted background in the center area under the paddles.

Gennie Moon discs - unpolished, factory finish - many times had scallops painted on.
    Looked cool on the right car.
    The paint was usually a metallic that matched or accented the body color.

The ever-popular ripple bar moon (not Moon Co.) wheel covers were popular.
    These were the smooth moon wheel covers of the day that had a single about 1/4" thick chrome plated bar across them.
    Looked especially good at a low speed cruise.

You're only limited by your imagination....

4. Vincent

Vincent
    from Sweden

Forgot to mention that i don´t wan´t wire wheels either ; D

C9:What do you mean with "The red plastic center" on the -54 Buick hubcaps??Can´t see that the center of the hubcap is red on the pics of -54:s i have???Two bar knockoff,what is that??My english isn´t that good ; D

You do mean these hucaps right??
    [​IMG]

How does the Genni moon disc look??

The ripple bar moon hubcaps i really do like,i have thought about them and they are defenatly a candidate.

Do you have any pictures of cars whit the types of rims and hubcaps youve mentioned??

5. Squablow

Squablow

I saw a '63 or '64 LeSabre with those factory Buick wheels that came on Riviera's in the same years, with some Vogue tires on it, and man, did that look nice. Fits the period too.

Moon discs and ripples are cool too, but on a big, full size 60's car? I don't think I'd like that. My '64 Ninety-Eight is getting Supremes, but if I couldn't get those, I'd be looking at those Buick wheels, maybe with some different centers.

6. rasputin

rasputin
    from Chicago

If I understand correctly, you want to make your 63 Buick into a 60s custom but don't want to use any of the wheel options that make a cool 60s custom.

The wheel choices you refuse (supremes, wires, chrome reverse) are common because they define the style. I admit that there are a considerable amount of other killer options available but the fact that you're asking someone else to tell you how to be original sorta rubs me the wrong way.

As mentioned by others, hubcaps are also commonly used but I always think that setup looks like you couldn't afford the wheels you wish you could have.

7. old beet

old beet

56 Roadmaster had red centers and a two bar flipper........OLDBEET

8. If you don't want to use Torq-Thrusts or Radirs, how about aluminum or even better, chrome steel slots? Or this:
    [​IMG]

9. John B

John B

[​IMG]

This is what we always called a flipper hubcap.

10. epinut

epinut

Yeah, this pretty much sums up what I think to... Checked your profile & I guess we're talkin Skylark here? 4 lugs means not much cool wheels to choose from... I would follow Richard D's suggestion, fogged oem wheels with spider caps!

11. Vincent

Vincent
    from Sweden

So you mean that all the custom cars built in the 60´s hade either supremes,wires or chrome reverse??
    I´m just so tired of those wheels,I wan´t something else from the same period and i don´t know were to look or ask except this message board.You say that there are a considerable amount of other wheels that looks good,show me them!!!! I don´t claim to be original i just wan´t something else,whats wrong with that??If i don´t ask i´ll never find what i´m looking for right!?I´m not asking someone else to decide what kind of wheels i should have on my car,i just wanna see some options to the common wheels like supremes,wires and chrome reverse.
    I think that hubcaps can look good and i don´t see it the same way you do.I don´t really care if people think i couldn´t afford real wheels on my car instead of hubcaps as long as i think it looks good.

Richard D:Slots is pretty much just steel rims,that kind that is mounted on the car from the beginning right??Ive been thinkinh on chroming the originla steel rims that´s on the car right now.

epinut:Yes were talking Skylark.What does OEM means??And how does spider caps look??

12. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

there's good reason the wheels you mention are so "common". and thats because no matter how many people run them, THEY LOOK GOOD. as your alternative, are bullet caps considered '60s flair? i dunno...someone tell me.

found these on a previous thread about trim rings and liked 'em:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=156350&d=1138055149

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=156351&d=1138055149

or...you could just go with wheels that define and express who YOU are instead of what we think is cool.

13. Vincent

Vincent
    from Sweden

Yeah i know it looks good,i agree.But I´m tired of them,it´s that simple.I´m just looking for something else.I asked if there was any alternatives and the thread ended up as a disussion about my econmy and my originality???I´m not building it to look good in someones elses eyes.I want different rims beucause i wouldn´t be satisfied with teh usual.But it seems like there isn´t any alternatives for chromes reversed,astros or wire wheels =(

BTW:Ive looked through alot of pictures now taken att some various 60´s carshows and i didn´t spot astro supreme wheels not even at one car??Ive always thought that the astros more were lowrider wheels more than custom wheels.