Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rim Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chickenridgerods, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Can anyone identify what brand/model of rim is pictured in the photos below? They look similar to the single rib Radirs, but the rib has a taper and the cap is different. They are cast aluminum with a steel hoop. Cast on the back of one spoke in very small letters is "PWO Wheel". I'm assuming that is the manufacturer, although a search hasn't been able to confirm that.

Apologies for the pictures being on the crappy side, but chrome and a flash don't mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Look to me like a billet Radir styled knockoff wheel.

4. JamesG

JamesG

I don't know what they are but I think I'm in love.......with the wheel that is, sorry.

Those are sweet! Did'nt someone else make a Radir style wheel. It was someones name I think?

5. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Were did you pick them up from? They look, NEW.
    -Jesse

6. Killer

Killer

I believe Performance Wheel Outlet made that wheel for Intro Wheels.

They don't carry it anymore though...

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Were did you pick them up from? They look, NEW.

[/ QUOTE ]

They came with a car, so I don't know how old they are or where they were purchased.

I will have to email performancewheeloutlet and see if they have any information on them. I'm fairly certain they weren't sold by Intro (the billet wheel manufacturer), however. The quality of these is nowhere near that of the billet wheels from Intro that I have on a different car.

8. Those wheels look kinda like these. Mine also have cast centers with chrome steel hoops.

9. ray

ray
    from colorado

smitty, i think those are fentons you got there. most i've seen have ribs at the sides of the spokes, only seen a few with smooth spokes.

10. ray thats what I thought they were but they don't say Fenton anywhere on them.They're cool though and I like'em

11. Did anyone follow up and see if PWO still carries this model and prices?

12. Ajax

Ajax

[ QUOTE ]
    Did'nt someone else make a Radir style wheel. It was someones name I think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mickey Thompson. Whenever my Dad sees Radirs he calls them "Mickey Thompsons" because they were retailed under that name in certain regions, I guess. Those up front with chromies on the back is a very mid-sixties look.

13. old beet

old beet

I'm not positive, but I think M/T made those type first. My brother and I cast a few off M/T centers until a lawyer from M/T hasseled us bigtime!!!..(around 1960??)...............OLDBEET

14. [ QUOTE ]
    Did anyone follow up and see if PWO still carries this model and prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had the chance to get back home yet (at college) and grab numbers/sizes off the wheels to ask PWO about.

15. I called and emailed the guys at PWO they said if they did make it, it was before their time and discontinued by now. Keep the search going though

16. daign

daign
    from socal

Killer nailed it. Those most likely are first generation Intro Wheels made before intro started machining their own out to china or wherever they get their 'custom wheels' these days. One of the previous Intro partners runs the detail shop at a carwash less than a mile from my house.

Check out their current logo and you can imagine the progression it made to its current self.

-Dane

17. daign

daign
    from socal

Oh yeah for anyone interested in getting a set, the "bro deal" a friend was offered on a set was $3200... [​IMG]

Sorry about the rant but what a crock of shit. I got back from china less than a month ago and saw where most of these wheels are made and sell for $900 a set USD. Most american wheel companies already are outsourcing their stuff to china or will. If they don't they're gonna have a hard time staying afloat selling $3200 wheels to billet fanatics with $4000 trucks. Now I guess I understand why the guy works at a car wash.

I'd stick with Radir.
    -Dane

18. wow!!! 3200 a set!! I'll stick with radir, thanks man