Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riley Automotive - Caveat emptor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BELLM

BELLM

I'm not one to jump in and beat up on someone but this post struck a nerve with me. I dealt with Eric before he opened Riley, spent a lot of money with him after he started Riley. Two years ago I hit a deer, decided to get most all needed parts from him due to Alliance discount/free shipping, probably spent around $4 - 5000.00. Took a long time to get everything, lots of phone calls, paid shipping on heavier stuff,would have saved money/stress by just buying from catalogs, would have got my parts quicker. Could have saved $250 on a Bob Drake grille alone by just buying direct from Drake, same on radiator, could have got exact same radiator from Speedway for less. Didn't complain, didn't post anything here, but decided then he would never get my money again.

2. Never bought anything from Eric @ riley automotive and I never will.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, I understand your being uncomfortable with the mob scene on this, but I hope you leave it up for view by prospective buyers from Riley Automotive.
    This has been going on for a long time and Eric needs to man up and settle these issue(s) or get outta the business.
    I remember bringing all the ruckus on HAMB up at a 4th of July gathering of the Sock Fuckers and friends in either '09 or '10. I got bit on the "no profit on this item, so I can't give discount or free shipping" deal. Glad you gave him the boot, both as a member and as a vendor.
    But please, leave this thread available. If you feel it has gone far enough that you need to lock it, OK, but leave it available for view till all the cases involving Alliance members are settled.
    I have always felt safe in ordering parts from Alliance members, vendors or individuals and hope we can keep that confidence. I know it's what keeps me sending you fifty Bucks each year!
    Dave

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

So he knows he owes me $2K but still prefers not to refund me. "Shit talking" and I was so patient with him. What does he expect me to do after 2 years? Roll over and die?

5. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

How about something HAMB positive for Mr Lloyd. A Charity Auction.

6. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Thanks for letting this out in the open. You see there were loads of Hambers who didn't know about this and that hidden thread wasn't doing Eric any harm. On the contrary, he's basking in R&C and Hotrod Magazine publicity, doing well for himself and still picking off the odd victim every now and again.
    Please delete any Mob type comments, they are counterproductive. Closing the thread would be playing into Erics hands. He's as bad as the common thieves out there stealing and parting out cars.

Cheers
    Ed

7. I was wondering what had happened

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The other thread is not hidden. It has over three times the views of this thread and a pretty damn high google page rank to boot.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

I dont have a lot of hope for you here, Ed.

Like I said, I've been in an almost identical situation with an oversea's company.
    And I never got my parts or money back either.

It looks like the two of you have pissed eachother off enough that the guy who owes you would rather do damage to his own company than make it right.

The only thing I can tell you is that the sting does eventually wear off.
    And partially gets replaced by the sting of subsequent people that will steal and swindle from you.

And each time you learn....

Thats how jaded old bastards get to be how they are.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, the thing that bothers me most is that Edward just flat out doesn't deserve this in any way. He didn't do anything to piss anyone off...

Just sucks.

11. the other me

the other me

Ryan, I'm sure you are uncomfortable with posts like these, and rightfuly so, but the power your board has to help ones who are stolen from or cheated unfortuneatly can be the best way for them to get results. I'm with Ed, please feel free to eliminate the Mob type replies but please leave this thread open. I'm not a member of facebook, but decided to follow the link to Erics page, and because of the H.A.M.B. and your courage to allow this thread, I feel if Eric has any plans to continue in the trade he has chosen he will provide acceptable results. His facebook page is really being viewed, follwed, and commented on. So I personally THANK YOU Ryan for allowing this thread, for the H.A.M.B., and for your overall support of the Hot Rod community.

THREE CHEERS FOR RYAN AND THE POWER OF THE HAMB!!!!

Here's wishing you Ed all the luck in getting your parts or full refund.

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes.

It really does.

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Please don't. I want Eric to repay. It's the principle more than anything.
    Cheers
    Ed

And I'm not letting this go. I have many cards up my sleeve which I'll play one after the next. This will cost Eric ten times what he owes me by the time I'm finished. And will all be legal. My brother is a Wall Street banker in NY. He's a bit busy now preparing for a classic car race from London to Cape Town, but I'll rope him in when that's over.

I just received an Email from Kev Elliot of R&C. He's seen what Eric has been doing and has said that's the last time Riley Automotive will get any editorial space in R&C. I think I wasn't the only one who wrote to him. He's an ex-pat Brit like me and knows how hard and expensive it is to build a car when all parts have to sourced from the other side of the world from people who sleep while you're working.

Ed

14. Everything I'm expressing here is just my opinion:

I agree with Ryan about being careful about a mob mentality but I think we are, as a whole, pretty analytical about most of the claims of wrong-doing that come forth. This one seems to be be pretty cut and dried. The fact that this seems to have been vetted by Ryan prior to being posted, also adds additional credence.

I think what I am looking for is a response from Eric to explain himself and make it right. At that point we could re-evaluate the situation. But, it appears by the response that was received by BrandonB, that Eric has no interest in doing so. It's a shame, both for the OP and Eric. But I suspect Eric is going to lose a hell of a lot more than the OP.

If Eric wants to just blow us all off and not address this then he should feel the hurt. I think we should stand by anyone when they're in the right, especially a fellow HAMBer. Everyone needs to know about bad business practices of Riley Automotive and if this news spreads beyond the HAMB, all the better.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow........ some crazy shit this is.

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago, I bought a set of mini-trim rings from Eric-Vaphead-Riley Automotive. I received them in excellent condition and quickly - a great transaction.

I can only guess he must be having mental problems - what else could explain it? In any event, I wouldn't send nickel one to this guy now.

17. 6inarow

6inarow

By leaving the thread open you are condoning mob mentality. Everyone has the message by now. Close it

18. I know Kev too...I'm also an ex-pat.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I will add my thanks to you, Ryan, for allowing this thread to continue. You run a clean house here and a lot of us members appreciate that. When a rotten apple is found we need to try to let as many potential victims as possible know so they don't end up like the OP.

This man's actions cause more harm than he realizes. We all say that we miss the days of Mom and Pop businesses and also we urge buying American as often as possible. Here is a business that fits both of those categories and the reward some customers have gotten for their attempts to keep their money in the hands of small American businessmen is what we have seen here.

I am also disappointed that it seems Eric has still not seen the light, if he is posting retorts about "Drama websites". Sounds like he is still going to feel like he is in the right somehow. Like I mentioned, my Son Don was super impressed with the help Eric gave him on the phone and even his former co-workers on here have posted this is not the man they thought they knew. I guess we really never know people no matter how close we might be. Very sad.

Don

20. How do you know that? There is a point to this.

21. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What is disappointing about situations like this, is what does the guy think? Is he so arrogant that he can do no wrong? There are a lot of businesses that believe in ethical behavior. It's good to see this exposed and not get brushed under the carpet.

22. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Tom,

I agree, most of the members here got the message. The one that hasn't, is Eric. I'm okay with leaving it open for a while.

23. 6inarow

6inarow

Yeah Larry, but Eric doesnt give a shit about the HAMB and he isnt going to do anything about it.

Exwestracer, if a guy cant figure out what the message is after 8 pages, well then he cant be too quick with the pages, you know? Duh

24. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I for one am glad to see this post still on top. A little heads up will keep someone else from stepping in dog shit. Thanks for the warning!

25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

"Mob-mentality" is something else, and is indeed dangerous. I feel not of that on this thread. Solidarity yes.

Closing it now just lets Eric off the hook one more time.

26. Ummm...it's 8 pages because everyone is purposely posting to keep it on page one, so those who haven't seen it yet WILL see it.

Like I said, there's a point to it.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Then give it a sticky. IMO it's gone it's course, but maybe people who were in thier garage missed out on it so.... give it a freakin' sticky.

28. 6inarow

6inarow

Someone wlth some sense.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No way in hell I will sticky this thread. We will get the word out a day or so longer and then we will close the thread. By that point, searchability will have been achieved, word will be out, and we will move on.

The point of this exercise is to make damn sure the folks in our community have plenty of warning that someone has stolen from one of our own. The point is not to preach to the choir and force Eric to give in... I don't think he's going to. I don't think he EVER intends to pay back Edward or make good on his side of the deal.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.