Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riley Auto Frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30modelA5, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Does anybody have any pics of model a coupes on the riley auto frame?... i was wondering what it would look like under my '30 they seem very high quality but i wanna see some pics before i buy one...just to make sure

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Eric (Vaphead) had posted some, search his post on the frames...

3. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Had never heard of a Riley Frame so visited their site.
    Looks Ok, but if you are going to run anything bigger than a lawnmore engine I'd have some type of K member or X member added to take care of the torsional twist.

IMHO

Attached Files:

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The link to his thread is here....

And you may need more of a crossmember (x or k) if you run something powerful, but it looks fine for a flathead or banger...

5. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Zman said, "You may need an X or K member if you run something more powerfull, but OK for a flathead"...............................I am putting a flatmotor in my frame and I wouldn't run on the road/highway without an X member. As I said, "Anything more powerfull that a lawnmore engine and you will get twist and flex if the frame is left as pictured on the website.
    Being an engineer most of my life has been a curse, but safety has always come first!
    Flex is great in a Top Fuel dragster, but not in a street driven hot rod!

IMHO

Attached Files:

6. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Over building is great, but necessary? 75 years after the "32" and Ford still builds a ladder frame, are you sayin that they are only as powerful as a lawnmower? And the Ford frame isnt even "BOXED"

7. GrantH

GrantH

I believe I saw an "X-member" on their site...Is it not big enough, or did I not see one? I looked at it the other day and they looked pretty well built, of course, needing some a little extra strength. Which is when I saw the x-member

8. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Well...........Hiboy32 is kind of correct about the ladder frame, but the manufacturing technicques are about 500% different.

Today we are using body on frame construction technology along with materials was never thought of back in the 30's and 40's. The reason their frames were so limber is because of the roads, or lack of them.

Everthing is this world is overdesigned...........bridges, buildings, cars, chairs, etc. This is done so there is a Margin Of Safety.

Today ladder frames with the exception of heavy-duty vehicles are on they way out.........why, because,
    1. They are heavier than a unibody, lower performance and/or higher fuel
    consumption
    2. Center of gravity is usually higher, compromising stability an handling
    3. Less resistanct to torsion (flexing of the whole car in corners) along
    with compromising handling and roadhandling.
    4. No crumple zone, with a higher rate of serious injury.
    5. Higher production costs.

The plus side of ladder type construction is,
    1. Easier to design, build and modify (less of an issue now that CAD is
    commonplace), but still and advantage for coachbuilt vehicles.
    2. Suited for heavy duty usage and can more durable.
    3. Easier to repair after accidents.

Everyone has opinions and mine are based on engineering facts, rather than seeing what everyone else has done and following the pack.

The safety of people riding in my car and around me comes above anything else! This is the reason for "over engineering" as some people call it, I just call it common sense from an engineering stand point.

IMHO

Attached Files:

9. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

ACC,did I spill something on your slacks once or something?

It is a high quality product.
    Rails TIG welded clamped to a frame table.
    The crossmembers added when it is in the frame jig.

It should be obvious that it is not a complete chassis.
    It is the foundation to build upon.

I am developing a new x-member trans mount combo.
    It will be simple,easy to install and adjustable for different trans/engine combos.(didn't use an engineer)

I am building a '30 coupe on one of my frames to show stance and fitment.
    Might start a new thread on the whole build.....

30modelA5,feel free to Pm me or email if you have any questions.

10. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

VAPHEAD,

I don't wear slacks, just jeans and western boots.

All kidding aside, I had no problem with your quality. I went to your site and other than the Tardel 32 K member in your 32 frame I didn't see any mention of K or X members or anything that said this was a perimeter frame, and it was not obvious to me that this was just a perimeter frame.

I guess I'm tired of seeing big name companies selling frames with a single 1.75/2.0 DOM tube connecting the rails at mid point for the transmission mount

Sorry if I put your panties in a bunch, but I really didn't mean to. I was just trying to clarify it needed further bracing and then the thread got a little side tracked, but again, I have no issue with the quality of your "perimeter" frame or how it's built.

I for one would love to see a new thread on the whole build............and if you ever need any engineering help, I'd help you anytime for free.

11. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

ACC,I don't wear panties....well not during the week.As for bunching...?

And you're sure you don't wear tan slacks when stepping out at Logan's roadhouse on Hilltop Drive ?

Or should i say Wrangler khaki stretch jeans?

;)

Attached Files:

• acc.jpg
      acc.jpg
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
  12. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

VAPHEAD

No, I only wear my jeans and shit kickin boots into Logans...........only drive my 1 Ton with the gun racks into the "Road House". You never know who you will meet.

Talking about wearing slacks, are you sure you don't have a dark brown pair you wear into Shotgun Willies over on Colorado sometimes?