Register now to get rid of these ads!

Right place at the right time. 46 FORD custom PICS.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shoebox72, Sep 6, 2004.

1. shoebox72

shoebox72

No I did'nt buy it but I was lucky to get these pics because this car only sees the light of day once a year if your lucky. My friend Bob Stott owns this & built it over 30 years ago. It is usually sleeping in his garage covered with about 20 moving blankets. It probrobly has'nt been driven 100 miles in the past 20 years & maybe 10 miles in the last 10 years. Anyway I was lucky enough to be there while he was uncovering it to pull it out of the garage to let it run for a while. This was originaly a coupe & was built in the mid 70's when customs were still basically dead to the car world.It may noy show in the pics but the old black laquer paintjob still looks friggin awesome. I just thought some of you would enjoy seeing some pics of this rarley seen custom.

Billy

Attached Files:

2. shoebox72

shoebox72

more

Attached Files:

3. shoebox72

shoebox72

another

Attached Files:

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

Dash with 49 Ford knobs

Attached Files:

5. shoebox72

shoebox72

Built 49 flathead

Attached Files:

6. shoebox72

shoebox72

Last one, Bob with his car.

Hope you like'em.

Attached Files:

7. old beet

old beet

Good pics, KILLER CAR.............OLDBEET

8. The Dude

The Dude

Looks like a really cool car why would he keep it put up. If you aint gonna drive it you wasted your time building it as far as I am concerned.

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

pretty cool. it's a real shame he does'nt enjoy the damn the thing. i'd at least park it in the living room so i could enjoy looking at it if nothing else. [​IMG]

10. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I started thinking the same thing, but then my to each his own alarm went off (maybe it should have in other posts as well).

But something is nagging at me - The name Bob Stott. I am not an East Coaster and I am not an expert on rodding history, but that name is ringing a big bell in my head....is he someone we would know?

11. Terry

Terry

Sad to think it dosen't get used. That last pic with the bumper gone and the angle it looks 41. Good lookin machine though!

12. shoebox72

shoebox72

[ QUOTE ]
    I started thinking the same thing, but then my to each his own alarm went off (maybe it should have in other posts as well).

But something is nagging at me - The name Bob Stott. I am not an East Coaster and I am not an expert on rodding history, but that name is ringing a big bell in my head....is he someone we would know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you should know him, I think he'd be a valuable addition to this board but being the stubborn oldtimer he is he won't get a computer. Bob would rather stay in the garage all night building hotrods/customs then go cruisin. He has a a mild custom 56 ford that he drives like once a month in the summertime. he's building a 37 Ford hotrod now & is gathering the last few pieces for the basket case 36 ford roadster he's gonna build into a period hotrod when he retires next year. you can see the rear section of the 36 body leaning against the back wall of the garage in the first pic.The 36 frame is under the tarp against the house in the pic of the rear of the 46.

Billy

13. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I always felt the garage queen owners should just buy a high dollar painting and look at it.
    Something that beautifull should be on the road so it can be seen.
    Sell the car to someone who'll drive it.

[​IMG]Craig

14. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

exactly buy painting and hang it in your house... or at least put a window in the garage so you could look at the damn thing every now and then. i would drive the hell otta that thing.

15. QQMOON

QQMOON

WOW Thats Nice
    JR

16. There are builders and there are drivers. I know several guys that get all their jollies out of building a car. The driving part isn't their big thrill. I build my own cars, but prefer driving the wheels off them to long nites in the garage. Nutz.

17. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

BEAUTIFUL! It's HIS car and he can do with it what he will.......but it's still a shame to leave it covered.
    I read an article years ago in Street Rodder. This old guy was building a track roadster. The four banger was some special engine built in the 20's. There were only four made. Two went into racing boats and he had one of the remaining two. He was putting cut-outs in the exhaust and the interviewer asked about it. He said that this engine was a museum piece?? The guy replied (and this always impressed me)".......it's a CAR! If you can't drive it, you might as well buy furnature!" Well said.........

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

[ QUOTE ]
    BEAUTIFUL! It's HIS car and he can do with it what he will.......but it's still a shame to leave it covered.
    I read an article years ago in Street Rodder. This old guy was building a track roadster. The four banger was some special engine built in the 20's. There were only four made. Two went into racing boats and he had one of the remaining two. He was putting cut-outs in the exhaust and the interviewer asked about it. He said that this engine was a museum piece?? The guy replied (and this always impressed me)".......it's a CAR! If you can't drive it, you might as well buy furnature!" Well said.........

[/ QUOTE ]

My exact words too. It's like all the Hemicudas are now garage queens in some investers colledtion, if I had one I would spank that badboy regularly. I am a 50/50 person, I enjoy the building and driving about the same. But cars are meant to be driven and it seriously bothers me to see nice cars set up. What an awesome custom at any rate. Thanks for sharing.

19. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

That's cool he's rockin' the flathead...
    Although I guess it's not a huge deal cuz it's not driven that much... [​IMG]

But who'm I to talk?
    I haven't finished ANYTHING lately-

20. Man that thing is cool! Too bad he won't drive it though. Oh well different strokes for different folks. At least the crusher didn't get it. Have you ever asked him about selling it?

21. Rusty

Rusty

Now thats what I'm talking about. Niceeeee!!!!

22. Man - I love the way that grille is done. Never seen one like it!
    That car is a beaut.

23. Donzie

Donzie

I can appreciate that he may not want to drive it much, but NOT AT ALL? That's a beautiful car, share it with the world.
    Makes you wonder how some people's minds work.

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I always felt a guy ought to have two cars - one to drive and one to wrench on. Maybe three if he lives up north with the roadsalt - a driver, a wrencher and a wintertime ruster.

25. That thing is gorgeous, driven or not!-MIKE [​IMG]

26. shoebox72

shoebox72

I'm gonna print this thread & show it to him because a few guys in our area harp on him to take it out & drive it. The latest excuse not to take it out is that the interior isn't "done". He's looking for a 56 ford convert rear seat to put in it. he has the chrome "V" for the upper part. Anyway, thanks for backing me up as far as getting him to drive it. He called last nite & said he had a good flame thrower show going last nite with it. I wish I would have gotten some pics of that.

Oh yea. this guy does old stock cars too.

Billy

Attached Files:

27. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus