Register now to get rid of these ads!

Right Hand Drive steering questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Mar 9, 2011.

1. metalshapes

metalshapes

A couple of questions for the UK, Oz and NZ Hot Rodders.

A buddy of mine ( here in Arizona ) wants to build his Model T as a RHD.

He knows its unpractical, ( having to get your car all the way into the other lane, to look if you can overtake somebody, etc )

But he even wants to reverse the working and non working doors to create a complete mirror image...

Dropped tube axle, buggy spring, hairpins.

So the questions are , what steering box do you guys use?

Basically what he is looking for is a mirror image Vega box.

Is there some Holden, or something else that is available?

And if so, where should he look for one?

2. Alex
    Just food for thought couldn't you use a corvair box and not reverse it?

My thinking is probably all wrong on this.

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

He was looking at that, when I walked into his shop, yesterday.

He was holding it up to the frame, trying to visualise how it would work out if it was reversed.

But it looks like that would put the mounting flanges on the top ( if he mounted it close to the firewall )

We didnt check what it would be for a cross steer setup...

4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

there are a bunch of differnt boxes used over here, all your F1-F100 are available in RHD just not in the same numbers, HQ holden does get used, also some japanese boxes get used from time to time. I guess it's a matter of getting one over there.
    If he in the long run plans on taking it to a country with RH steering, then a box that's available there would be a good idea.

Don't spose this help's much.

Glenn

5. George

George

Postal Jeep?

6. ukgav

ukgav

Early Land Rover and VW camper boxes are quite popular over here.

7. rebelrat

rebelrat

^^^^^^^^x2 Vw bus

8. That's what i was going to suggest. Thousands of them out there!

9. Rem

Rem

As Gavin said, Land Rover (Series 1 & 2?) are popular here. Because the drag link runs to the inside of the chassis, a RHD Land Rover steering box is perfect for a LHD early Ford side steer installation. If you can find an early LHD Landy steering box it'll make a nice RHD box for the T. The ratios are useable, and they've a nice aluminium case.

Dannerr likes this.
  10. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HQ Holden box is used a lot here , and is now being reproduced new . If you want I'll track down the company info . Im using an original in my model A , but will probably get the repro one soon .

11. Abomination

Abomination

12. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the repro HQ box . Takes aftermarket uni's and is really easy to setup up cross steer . Mounting plates are readily available from rod shops here . The HQ Holden was a big car , and these are bulletproof . Available from http://www.rodbods.com.au/New_Products.htm for $395 . All new not reco , would last forever .

13. I'm using a VW bus box in my RHD Model A.

14. Adam F

Adam F

Yes, I am using a HQ box. I think it cost me around $50... but if you wanted to spend $400 for exactly the same thing, I guess you could :)

Mine is set up cross steer. The other thing to consider is that depending on what spindles or aftermaket spindle arms you use, the holes may be incorrect. RHD vehicles obviously require two holes on the Left Hand side of the car, and only one hole on the steering arm on the right side.

If he's looking at a dropped axle with wishbone there may be issues in finding RHD, dropped arms - these seem to be unavailable now.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  15. I had a vw kombie in my old T bucket, they were big in the 70s.
    If he was going cowl steer, he could take any old left hand box, and turn it upside down.
    Works great, ive done it.

16. 35desoto

35desoto

Another source is Japper utes
    I used a Nissan Navara 1996 steering box in my 35 Deasoto down here - was a good swap over as the splines were exactly the same - had to file a couple for where the locating tabs were but other than that it was a great change over. It had four good locating mount , had a useable ratio and worked well in the 35 as it was as heavy as a laden commercial. My friend used a mitsubishi unit however the splines were based on a 21mm od where as the Nissan and the USA stuff is usually based on an 1" or 25.4 mm od

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

Awesome Info guys... Thanks.

I knew I could count on you.:)

I'll tell him to check out this Thread.

18. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Google is my best friend. I build my Ozzie cars LHD to be different :D

www.helixsuspension.com/catalog/Steering/Steering-Boxes/HEXSTB4C

Description of Product HEXSTB4C

RHD Chrome Vega Box Manual Steering Box
    Features

• Chrome Finish
    • 3/4"-30 Spline Input Shaft
    • 6.25 turns lock to lock.
    • 25 to 1 ratio.
    • 6 rounds lock to lock for a 24 to 1 ratio.
    • Saginaw steering gear, as used in many GM vehicles.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132480

These are being made in New Zealand by Ed Junior Kustom Rides. Only available in right hand drive

http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?5768-best-steering-box-for-a-32

We produce a brand new right hand drive steering box based around a Vega, have had them sold and approved in both Aussie and here. Happy to send some info if you want to know more, or you can check them out on our website, www.juniorskustomrides.com

20. striper

striper

This is a good point. It doesn't matter whether a box is out of a LHD or RHD car the input vs output rotation will be the same. It's just the mountings that will need to change if you turn the box upside down to relocate the sector shaft.

I have encountered the misconception in the past that a steering box needs to be reversed when changing driver location. It's simple mechanical reasoning off any basic aptitude test.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Find an early 1950's Studebaker, they are normal left hand steering but the pitman arm is on the inside. When I had "The U.S. Mule II" drag car that is what it had used. There may even be a photo of it here on the HAMB from many years ago.

22. rare32

rare32

So-Cal do RHD steering arms in their GT2 range (just gotta ask, not on the website)
    its not all that traditional but Unisteer also do a RHD version of their cross steer half rack thing.

Or get an Aussie to send you a HQ holden box, which is basically a Vega box.

As pointed out around $50-100 Au will get one but airfreight over might be $100 on top.

thats all you'll need, RHD box and RHD arms from So-Cal, everything else is the same.

You may also need to swap the dead perch across

23. Uni steer make a rhd half rack. Right in your own back yard, and cheaper than getting a holden one from here.

24. Abomination

Abomination

And I swear - you should check out the LLV. Ask the post office garage how they do it. It's a stock S-10 underneath, with a stock steering box in the stock location (only the steering column has changed locations).

A quick look under the hood of one of those, and about a million questions will be answered with a glance about how to do it with commonly available junkyard parts.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

He knows about the RHD halfrack.

But he thinks its ugly, and he doesnt want to use one.

Thanks for all the Info, guys...

26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We used a box out of a small Mitsubishi pickup (power steer) from a RHD pickup to keep our 54 victoria LHD. It was mounted on the outside rail of the RHD donor and we mounted it on the inside of the left hand rail of the 54 to become LHD. Prehaps you could find a LHD drive box to do a similar conversion to put it on the right.

27. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Is he running the T motor/trans? If so hes going to have a harder time locating a rhd hogs head (it too me quite a while before I found mine, but then I was looking for an early one)

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

No.

350SBC.

Fabricated aftermarket frame, suicide front suspension.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  29. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

Here is a Land Rover box. They are fairly cheap and plentiful.

-Jeff

Attached Files:

Dannerr likes this.