Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ridin the '99 -Aussies travellin through California.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THAT MONSTER KID, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hey Guys and Gals,

Later this month My Family and I are going to be travelling to California to inspect and hopefully purchase a car or two my Dad has inquired on.
    While in town we'll be spending two weeks travelling through California seeing the sights and finding some cool stuff to pick up along the way. We'll be travelling back and forth along the 99 from Sacremento to as far as San Diego ( hopefully to attend the big 3 swap) just looking for cool things to check out along the way! plan on heading in through L.A and the surrounding areas also to check out a few shops and sightsee. I have searched through a few good threads on other hambers trips and picked up some great places to stop and check out also have socalcarculture bookmarked. This will be the first international trip for my folks and brother, so i want to try and make it as awesome as possible for them.
    All suggestions and recomendations appreciated.
    Thanks guys,
    Rhys.

2. roughneck424

roughneck424

3. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

If you like restored, fabulous true classics, catch the tour at the Nethercutt museum. Too bad you just missed GNRS. When you're in the LA area, if you need a guide, suggestions or directions, call me. Roger (626) 447-7130.

4. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Stop in Tulare at the Boling Brothers shop. Neat fab work.
    Famoso Dragstrip is a few miles down the road from 99 off of the McFarland exit, just north of Bakersfield.
    Stop in Fresno and spend some money- we need it ;)

5. hudson48

hudson48

Don't forget the new rules on importing pre 1989 vehicles into Australia
    Well not exactly new but enforcing the old rules very diligently.

I was on DOTARS site yesterday and import approval time is 29 days.
    Apparently this is why all the Aussie shippers are having a tough time since you really don't want to bid on Ebay or Craigslist and pay for a car that can't be imported.

6. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

When exactly are you going to be over here? You just missed the Turlock swap meet this past weekend and some freezing weather.

February 11-13, 2011
    Sacramento Autorama
    Cal Expo Fairgrounds, Sacramento
    Info http://www.rodshows.com/

^^^easy access right off Interstate 80 which you can get to from Highway 99.

7. If you like restored, fabulous true classics, catch the tour at the Nethercutt museum. Too bad you just missed GNRS. When you're in the LA area, if you need a guide, suggestions or directions, call me. Roger (626) 447-7130.

- Thanks a bunch Rodger.

Here's 2 right along side of Hwy 99

http://www.centralvalleyclassics.com/

http://www.buckowens.com/index2.html
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    - Roughneck424 Thanks for the tip!

Stop in Tulare at the Boling Brothers shop. Neat fab work.
    Famoso Dragstrip is a few miles down the road from 99 off of the McFarland exit, just north of Bakersfield.
    Stop in Fresno and spend some money- we need it

- ponchojohn We will be stopping by Tulare to visit Derek, he spent a weekend or two down here with us a couple of years back plan on checking out all we can. anything in Fresno in particular?

Don't forget the new rules on importing pre 1989 vehicles into Australia
    Well not exactly new but enforcing the old rules very diligently.

I was on DOTARS site yesterday and import approval time is 29 days.
    Apparently this is why all the Aussie shippers are having a tough time since you really don't want to bid on Ebay or Craigslist and pay for a car that can't be imported.

- Thanks Hudson48. The cars we are looking at are unmolested and original RHD Flathead cars but i plan on spending this week working on shipping and importing details and necessary paperwork. If any Aussies are reading this could someone recommend a good shipping company?

When exactly are you going to be over here? You just missed the Turlock swap meet this past weekend and some freezing weather.

February 11-13, 2011
    Sacramento Autorama
    Cal Expo Fairgrounds, Sacramento
    Info http://www.rodshows.com/

^^^easy access right off Interstate 80 which you can get to from Highway 99.

-hitman912. i think we're gonna miss this one also unfortunately as we're still planning the trip. it was very spur of the moment these cars came up and opportunity come knocking the cars are the priority at the moment aiming to be there no later than the 22nd of this month so we can head down from Sac. to San Diego for the Big 3 Swap.

8. any other hot tips and suggestions...they are much appreciated guys!

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend of mine and another of his always use Al Montana, he's an Ozzie living in California and great to deal with. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Everyone I know ships to Brisbane, call Al and he'll definitely assist where he can.

www.montanaexports.com

10. Classic Chev, Talk to Ron Wicks.

did you find a coupe?

Cheers,

Drewfus

11. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Hey Mate - Call us at Kiwi Shipping - 310 900 1974 or shoot me an e-mail
    We specilaize in Australia and NZ
    Stop in for a look when you're here!
    CraigR

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Hey monster,i am australian from ascot vale and live in san diego now.I can show you around and i will be at the big three.PM if your interested.HR

13. Classic Chev, Talk to Ron Wicks.

did you find a coupe?

- Drewfus, i think we've got shipping sorted now. yep found one

Hey Mate - Call us at Kiwi Shipping - 310 900 1974 or shoot me an e-mail
    We specilaize in Australia and NZ
    Stop in for a look when you're here!
    CraigR

- Thanks CraigR i think weve sorted a shipper but i will pass on the info to my old man and be in contact if need be. will add you to the list of places to see.

Hey monster,i am australian from ascot vale and live in san diego now.I can show you around and i will be at the big three.PM if your interested.HR

- Hombre, expect a PM.

14. Kiwi Shipping rock, great guys great service.

15. Stop by Gambino Kustoms and check it out next door is Alex's own San Jose Speed and Chrome and you can get anything you want kustom or hot rod related!

16. Bumpin this back up!

After jumping through hoops we have finally got our import approval papers and have dates booked to fly over. we will be in California for 3 weeks
    April 19 - 10 May
    could use some input on

- swapmeets
    - junkyards with a good selection of Tin

we are primarily looking for ORIGINAL 1934 ford coupe parts, 1920-1970 Harley Davidson parts and bikes, 1948-1966 ford truck parts.

ANY TIPS ON PLACES TO CHECK OUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

17. Awww, C'mon Guys we only want a little...pm me if need be.
    looking for good wrecking yards and good sources for parts.
    California wide!

18. Weasel

Weasel

Early Ford Store in San Dimas - in LA County is a treasure trove of parts for Model 40s. It's a complete time warp and the original survivor cars are amazing....

www.earlyfordstore.com

19. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Going by your dates it looks like you're going to miss the Pomona swap. Still worth a drive out that way, ditto on the Early Ford Store, you could spend a whole day there taking in their original inventory. San Dimas is a great little town and only 5 mins from Pomona where you can check out waldens and Socal.

20. Early Ford Store in San Dimas - in LA County is a treasure trove of parts for Model 40s. It's a complete time warp and the original survivor cars are amazing....

Thanks Weasel, San Dimas is definately on the list!

Going by your dates it looks like you're going to miss the Pomona swap. Still worth a drive out that way, ditto on the Early Ford Store, you could spend a whole day there taking in their original inventory. San Dimas is a great little town and only 5 mins from Pomona where you can check out waldens and Socal.

Jamin, yeh we miss Pomona, but make the Long Beach Bike Swap and Turlock
    plan on heading to Pomona to check out the NHRA museum and SOCAL will stop by Waldens also.

21. Thanks for the tips guys keep em comin! any body else got any places worth checkin out? NOR CAL people, whats up? we're heading your way too! Big M auto Salvage, any other places like this to dig through?

22. bumpin this, we are getting closer. the trip is pretty much buttoned up, we're gonna spend the first few days enjoying LA and driving around...Any recomendations for shops to check out? probably stay in Anaheim (was recomended to us) and travel to Pomona on the first day nhra museum, so cal, waldens, anything else in the general area im missing? then over to san dimas to the early ford store. gotta be up in Nor Cal by the 23rd then back down on the 24th for the long beach bike swap. as i said we'll be all over California so anything related to this board would be appreciated.

23. can anyone recommend some places in bakersfeild area we are at the nsra meet but wanna see some more traditional stuff heading back towards the sacraento area in the evening.

24. roughneck424

roughneck424

25. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Early Ford store is a must............it's like Christmas all come at once...:D

OLd Crow Speed Shop

Limeworks

So Cal Speed shop

Mulins Museum.........if it's open when your there

Enjoy.....Keep us posted

26. got that in the to do's! anything else? shops? ill check this by morning

27. 63Compact

63Compact

San Dimas is cool place. I think Squeak Bell is in Bakersfeild, check out Kiwi Connection.

28. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I enjoyed the the petersen museum if you are looking for something in LA