Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures RideCache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 10, 2016.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Must be some my age { be 74 sept.} that have those fanzy phones,I don't yet but hay some day maybe, I like the idea.
    Tell then guess ya got to just look at my HAMB restore thread for my old rod I built in 1959 n still drive. Always fun for me an interesting seeing others an the storys with them.

2. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

RideStash - that is funny - may keep that one as an alias!

As for security, we see 2 kinds of risk with data and information that we care about for our cars. First is the risk that some malicious individuals will take the data without permission (hackers). We have invested in commercial grade security protocols (as covered in the blog post) to protect against that as much as possible, but you are correct, nothing is ever completely safe from malicious folks on the internet. If it harms you in a significant way for any single piece of information to fall into the wrong hands, you should not trust it to any web service including ours (and in fact you shouldn't even have it stored on any device connected to the internet - including the one you are using to access this forum). Fortunately, not much of our car related materials falls into that high risk, highly lucrative to hackers category.

The second risk - and we think the more likely scenario - is that you simply lose the information. Papers get lost or mis-placed, files get scattered or things get destroyed in a fire, flood or other natural disaster. That is where RideCache can definitely protect you. It takes some work to get everything loaded, but once there, we take significant steps to back up and protect your data from loss.

3. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Ha, I actually think you may be onto something with the timing. One of the things we do see sometimes is that the front page is slow to load on slow connections, and the very top of the screen is a banner of fairly high rez images. It could be that those images are just not loading quickly. If you scroll down the page, there is other content that you might see. And you might also just wait a minute or two and see if those images finally load. Please let me know what you find - I want to get this working for you!

4. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the comments - we know RideCache is not going to be for everyone - that is OK. But we are definitely NOT trying to be Facebook for cars - there are lots of car sites and apps taking that approach. We are building a tool for organizing and managing all the information for your cars. You can share things if you want, but that is not the primary goal for RideCache. Many of our users do not share anything. And there are no likes, commenting or discussion - so very different than Facebook. As for why this might be better than keeping things in your head or on paper, I wrote a blog about that very thing. If you are interested you can find it here.

5. I spent a little more time poking around, and I was definitely a little confused before. But see the features you have incorporated are helpful for sure. Definitely not Facebook for cars.

Question.

Let's say I have my page, it's all set up and everything is great. I sell that car. Can I transfer my page to them?

I can definitely see how this would be awesome for someone who embraces apps and software more than I do. I'm 33 and I can barely use a computer or smart phone. So obviously I'm not the target audience.

I'll keep playing with it. I definitely do think you are onto a cool service for sure.

I think for me, a combo of binders and using ride cache would be how I did it. Then you're covered on both ends. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That worked, thanks!

7. squirrel

squirrel

heh...one of my pet peeves is web pages that don't show up until they get the 7 megabytes of data they need.....

I like simple, you can tell by my web page. It's quite useless, but it IS quick! :)

http://selectric.org/

8. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Yes, on your vehicle edit page there is a transfer button that will initiate a transfer to a new owner with a single click (but you also keep a copy).

And we agree - for the most important things you will always maintain your paper copies (hopefully in a very safe, fireproof place) in addition to your RideCache.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  9. Well, it fired up and it's purring like a kitten! I must have had the distributor 180 degrees out. I'm not sure if you changed something or if it's just my connection but I can see the page content now. It could be that I was having connection speed issues yesterday, although I left the page for several minutes and it did not load. All is well now though and I look forward to checking out the app.

10. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

VaPa1isxQQ2ofVW0Xkl2_324A4819.jpg
    Hey guys, here is another sweet '32 roadster on RideCache that you might enjoy seeing. This is John Joyoprayitno's recently completed dream roadster. John did the voiceover on the video of the purple '32 featured by Ryan at the top of this post and he gave me permission to post a link to the RideCache for his car. You can check out the car and some of the cool parts John used here: https://ridecache.com/#/collections/284/vehicles/488

11. gbix

gbix
    from Austin, TX

Another quick update on RideCache.

First - thanks to everyone who has tried and is using RideCache - as always, let me know if I can help in any way.

We have released several nice features since Ryan posted the invite to give RideCache a try. We have improved how tasks and parts are listed and displayed and have significantly improved how automatically recurring tasks are handled. We have also improved the way the private info block is displayed on your vehicle's main page and added the ability to enter and track your vehicle's value (based on a source of your choosing).

For those at paid levels, we have also added some nice tools to make entering detailed invoices from parts or service providers much easier. You can read more here if you are interested.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!